•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DeBayerization: VNG or AHD?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MCovington

MCovington

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:57 PM

Particularly in PixInsight, which do people prefer?

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:25 AM

I have the same question.  Is there a good review of each and the pro's / con's?

You may want to post this in the PixInsight Forum.

• cobestluc likes this

#3 whwang

whwang

Vanguard

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:46 AM

It will be the best if someone can stack a bunch of raw images of reasonable quality with VNG and AHD, and compare them.

I had compared DSS Bayer drizzle, DSS AHD, Nebulosity VNG, PI VNG, and PI Bayer drizzle.  For image sharpness and noise correlation between pixels, for a scale from 0 to 10, 0 being bilinear, and 10 being the best I have seen, I would rate as following:

DSS Bayer drizzle: 10

PI Bayer drizzle: 9.5

PI VNG: 9.0

Nebulosity VNG: 8.0

DSS AHD: 6.5

bilinear: 0

All of them are substantially better than bilinear.  PI's VNG does remarkably well and can give results almost as good as Bayer drizzle, at least in my cases.  

However, I have a feeling that PI's VNG is somewhat better than Nebulosity's VNG.  So probably even with the same algorithm (VNG), different implementations can give you different results.  Because of this, there is a possibility that PI's AHD is better than DSS's AHD.  I can't tell since I have never tried AHD in PI.

Personally I use PI's VNG as default, and only switch to PI's Bayer drizzle when the images are taken under exceptionally good conditions and when I absolutely want the highest resolution.  PI's VNG is much faster than its Bayer drizzle, and can give very good results.

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

Edited by whwang, 14 February 2018 - 12:46 AM.

• AbPho likes this

#4 MCovington

MCovington

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:39 PM

The background is that I have my own version of the PixInsight BatchPreprocessing script with a few functions added.  I am wondering if I should put AHD on the menu (for some reason it is not there; VNG is the default).

#5 whwang

whwang

Vanguard

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

Interesting.  I had the impression that AHD is there, but when I open my PixInsight BPP, I do not see it either.

• MCovington likes this

#6 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:55 AM

It's definitely worth making AHD available.

However, I use bayer drizzle - it avoids artifacts in regions of high contrast - especially around stars.

Also, take a look at Juan's recent comments on the demosaicing in the libraw replacement for dcraw:

https://pixinsight.c...g74359#msg74359

By the way, demosaicing is the word that PixInsight will using in future instead of debayer (which now has connotations of physically stripping the CFA layer off a sensor to make it monochrome).

Mark

Edited by sharkmelley, 15 February 2018 - 01:56 AM.

• MCovington likes this

#7 xiga

xiga

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Ireland

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:48 AM

You should download the trial version of Astro Pixel Processor. It has a special demosaicing algorithm called Adaptive Airy Disc (AAD). The author swears that it gives superior results to any other algorithm out there.

https://www.astropix...nique-features/

#8 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Soyuz

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

Another vote for Bayer Drizzle in PI

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics