•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EdgeHD 800 reducer - any feedback on the recent batch?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Henry from NZ

Henry from NZ

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:11 AM

Thinking about buying an EdgeHD 800 reducer but a bit put off by reports of poor performance which popped up in the last couple of years. This appeared to coincide with a period when the reducer was in short supply - and one wonder whether there was manufacturing problem. However it seems stock for the reducer has recently been replenished, and I am just wondering if there is any newer user feedback on these reducers? Are they performing as they should for you, if you have bought one in the last 2-3 months?

Thanks

#2 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

What kind of issues? Do you have a link to the discussions?

I have owned a couple of these reducers in the last couple of years. No issues. Built like a rock and very high quality. But performance is very sensitive to spacing especially when using larger sensors.

#3 Henry from NZ

Henry from NZ

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

I don’t have the links, but problem has been reported previously by Thirteen and Footbag, just couple of names I can remember on top of my head.

#4 Luna-tic

Luna-tic

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Foothills North Carolina

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:41 PM

I got mine in December after a 4 month wait; I've used it a couple of time visually, haven't noted any issues. Focus, clarity and color rendition are as good as without it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics