•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neq6 pro to laptop connection

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

Have been reading for a while on all the ways/cables/programs for control. Picked this mount up used locally a while ago but haven't messed with yet. Just wondering cause i haven't found any definative info about this. The supplied synscan cable is the serial to mount and appears to be a standard ethernet jack into hand controller. Would this work which i doubt is possible. Could that be used to connect to laptop ethernet port or use an ethernet to usb adapter. Or would i be looking at smoke and the smell of burnt electronics. Or i believe i remember reading about connecting through hand controller with supplied cable(basically phone jack cable.) But then i believe would need to adapt from that to a usb? Been reading so much this and that that every thing is kinda lost in the mix at the moment(cables, converters, chips, drivers, programs etc...). I can feel my hair getting grayer. I do have the means/skills to make what i need just unsure on exactly what to get. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks.

#2 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

For my Atlas/EQ6 and my HDX/EQ8 I use Shoestring Astronomy's designed cables and appropriate drivers... cable numbers USB2EQ6 and USB2EQ5 respectively... 

#3 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

Have been reading for a while on all the ways/cables/programs for control. Picked this mount up used locally a while ago but haven't messed with yet. Just wondering cause i haven't found any definative info about this. The supplied synscan cable is the serial to mount and appears to be a standard ethernet jack into hand controller. Would this work which i doubt is possible. Could that be used to connect to laptop ethernet port or use an ethernet to usb adapter. Or would i be looking at smoke and the smell of burnt electronics. Or i believe i remember reading about connecting through hand controller with supplied cable(basically phone jack cable.) But then i believe would need to adapt from that to a usb? Been reading so much this and that that every thing is kinda lost in the mix at the moment(cables, converters, chips, drivers, programs etc...). I can feel my hair getting grayer. I do have the means/skills to make what i need just unsure on exactly what to get. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks.

No, it's not an Ethernet jack. It's a small RJ plug/receptacle and is serial RS-232 data.

Way 1:  Connect the cable (or a longer one you get from a dealer) to the HC and to a USB-serial cable plugged into a USB port on your computer.

Way 2:  If you want to use EQMOD buy a cable from Shoestring Astronomy for that purpose. One in plugs into the USB port and the other into the HC port (not the hand control) on your mount.

#4 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

Thanks. Didn't figure supplied cable was capable of hooking directly to pc. Just thought I'd ask. And how did i know i was going to be told shoestring astronomy.lol.
Yes apparently the place to go. But from what I've read it can take a while to get one since its kinda his side business. Plus i enjoy doing things myself and confident in my abilities. Have a local microcenter that would pretty much have anything you could think of. Will research all i have to to get it right and not say ok i think this is what i need... being an electrician I'm not fond of the smell of burnt electric/ electronics..

#5 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

1) If your PC has a serial port, then you have everything you need. But now days the vast majority of PC's do not have a serial port. So you need a good USB to RS232 converter to hook the supplied cable to the handset and then you need to put the handset in PC Direct mode. The cheap USB to RS232 converters tend not to work.

2) Shoestring Astronomy has always been pretty prompt for me. You can make your own EQDirect adapter cable, the schematics are published.

http://eq-mod.source...t/eqdirect2.htm

#6 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

Shoestring is pretty quick... and building one is fine... biggest problems is finding the drivers that work... they can't be clones 

#7 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

That's what I've been reading up on is the eqmod options. Probably go that route. Almost recently got a laptop that had serial port. But between that one and one i got i opted for the specs of the latter. And thanks for the heads up there on drivers jeff. More to research....

Edited by spacemunkee, 14 February 2018 - 03:11 PM.

#8 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Skylab

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:43 PM

Here are the different options for controlling the EQ5/6/8 mounts:

Attached Thumbnails

• config_basic.png

• jdupton likes this

#9 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:51 PM

Thanks. I've been reading up on the eqmod options. From what I've read the eq direct gets more complicated with the eq6 pro due to a required voltage issue. And the bluetooth option is appealing to ditch a cable but how reliable is the connection. Anyone using this have good experience with it. I know my bt ear piece and mouse do stupid things enough. Would really be irritating dropping connection on scope.

#10 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Skylab

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

I have both the eqdirect usb and BT adapters and have had no issues using either one. The nice thing about the BT is it gets its power from the mount and not a battery like most BT devices.

#11 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:49 AM

My mount is AZ-EQ6, where i can find a BT connection for it?

I just use USB cable successfully, but i would like to go wireless direction if possible.

#12 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

To me... going wireless for mount control helps very little... unless you go all wireless... focusing.... camera control... filter wheel...

If ya have cables for something, might just as well have it for everything. Cables are more dependable, and yes a pain, but hey... just 1 more cable.

The solution I came up with for 'wireless' is I have a little tower at the mount with all the software on it... wired to everything (mount, camera...) and I add a router and make my own intranet that I use another laptop to wirelessly connect to the tower and remote control all the software...  

#13 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:54 AM

To me... going wireless for mount control helps very little... unless you go all wireless... focusing.... camera control... filter wheel...

If ya have cables for something, might just as well have it for everything. Cables are more dependable, and yes a pain, but hey... just 1 more cable.

The solution I came up with for 'wireless' is I have a little tower at the mount with all the software on it... wired to everything (mount, camera...) and I add a router and make my own intranet that I use another laptop to wirelessly connect to the tower and remote control all the software...  

That's my ultimate goal is eventually all wireless. Your set up sounds like an interesting project. I do have a small unused pc tower sitting.  But at the moment taking my time deciding on guide scope options, maybe different camera, etc.. One reason I would like to go wireless is I have a large dumb black lab that likes to be a pain. Already had him run out once and snag a cable with his paw. Luckily no damage done.

Edited by spacemunkee, 15 February 2018 - 09:02 AM.

• Jeff Struve likes this

#14 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

Cool.... I wouldn't spend the money on the Bluetooth version then... you'd use the wired with the set up like I have... and you all ready have lab problems!

#15 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

Definitely think ill go your route. Thanks for the idea. Seems like that eliminates a chunk of hardware and software to make each needed thing to be wireless. Thanks again for a great idea.

#16 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

I had a Stick-PC at the mount, but moved on up to a Mini-PC at the mount that runs off 12V. Mini PC has Windows 10 Professional x64 loaded on it. Everything runs off the Mini-PC. I have a EQDirect USB cable to control the mount. I use Microsoft Remote Desktop to control it from my Laptop or Tablet-PC's. I have a small router with WiFi that runs off 12V for when I'm out at a remote site imaging ($10).

Mini_PC1_Small.jpg

Edited by Pauls72, 15 February 2018 - 05:42 PM.

#17 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the info there pauls72. I like it. Will look into that setup.

#18 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:58 AM

Well, i care to control the mount wirelessly more than anything else, i don't have a motor focuser and i don't touch my filter wheel anyway once it is connected, so the camera and the mount are the most used here unless i want to focus, so the mount in my current setup is always being touched or controlled more than anything else, so i want to have that alone wireless, later when i do better cable management and have motored focuser then i can think about going "all wireless".

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics