•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Criterion 18mm lenses

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oasmith

oasmith

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

Hi All,

I have two Criterion 18mm lenses, one says A.R. and the other says H. Does anyone know the difference between them? Also, the H. has a larger lens screwed on to the bottom, and I didn't know if that was an old version of a Barlow? And if so, would it work if I moved it to the A.R. 7mm or 9mm? Thanks for any insight! 

#2 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

A.R. means "Achromatic Ramsden", or a Kellner variant.  H means Huygenian.  The focal plane falls between the field lens and eye lens with the Huygenian design, all others have the focal plane located outside of the field lens.

Don't remove or switch eyepiece lenses around.  It is not a Barlow on the H 18mm.  

Pictures will help.

• Augustus and oasmith like this

#3 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Near DTW

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:32 PM

I had the 18mm A.R. but it was the Bausch and Lomb version which I believe was the same. The fov was 40 degrees but very pinpoint sharp. 

Jim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics