•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

In Defense of Towa

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#126 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:06 AM

I honestly do not know if this defends or will turn people away from Towa. But I posted these photos a few weeks back in the what did you observe today section.

It just helps show what one can expect from one of their cheaper Japan made models.

1.JPG

Saturn:

2.jpg

It sure beats not having any telescope at all! (And may be similar to what some of the older members here first started out on).

For people who may see this in the future, it can help give a idea of what a in-expensive, less than 10$ "60x700mm" 2nd hand (circle t / towa) scope could provide.

Edit: Please Note: expect to see this with upgraded eyepieces, (This image was captured though a web-cam, but with upgraded eyepieces I do see a similar image. The original eye pieces that came with this scope are not as enjoyable for me to use.

I just thought I should add that last comment to prevent any potential disappointment. On my cheap towa telescope kits, none of them have included a eyepiece more powerful than 12.5mm that I have determined to even being usefull at all for my preferences.

Edited by Mbinoc, 10 September 2020 - 04:31 PM.

• Bomber Bob, oldmanastro and GreyDay like this

#127 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:10 AM

Here's a Towa - Blast From The Past - that I've shared before.  My 1978 Sun photo, made on 126 film in an astro-camera that I made, using my brand new 1978 Tasco 10K / 15K (Towa 339):

The Sun - Tasco 80mm 01.jpg

• Kokatha man, oldmanastro, GreyDay and 1 other like this

#128 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:58 PM

I honestly do not know if this defends or will turn people away from Towa. But I posted these photos a few weeks back in the what did you observe today section.

It just helps show what one can expect from one of their cheaper Japan made models.

1.JPG

Saturn:
2.jpg

It sure beats not having any telescope at all! (And may be similar to what some of the older members here first started out on).

For people who may see this in the future, it can help give a idea of what a in-expensive, less than 10$ "60x700mm" 2nd hand (circle t / towa) scope could provide.

Edit: Please Note: expect to see this with upgraded eyepieces, (This image was captured though a web-cam, but with upgraded eyepieces I do see a similar image. The original eye pieces that came with this scope are not as enjoyable for me to use.

I just thought I should add that last comment to prevent any potential disappointment. On my cheap towa telescope kits, none of them have included a eyepiece more powerful than 12.5mm that I have determined to even being usefull at all for my preferences.

#129 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:04 PM

I see a better live image than your camera picture.Like a tiny BB surrounded by a washer.Focus very critical.

The alt-az mounts are a bear to get adjusted in order to follow anything.
  • GreyDay likes this

#130 GreyDay

GreyDay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:58 AM

I see a better live image than your camera picture.Like a tiny BB surrounded by a washer.Focus very critical.

The alt-az mounts are a bear to get adjusted in order to follow anything.

As BigC says, i get a better live image even with my Tasco6TE (50mm f12) using the supplied 5mm ep for 120x. I even use the SR4mm on nights of good seeing, though only on planets/moon and bright doubles due to light loss through the smaller aperture. Normally if i'm going for more than 50-60x per inch i'll grab a bigger scope with more light gathering.

The supplied EP's work fine for me, though i find they are better in the longer focal ratio scopes. The eye relief is the let down for most people but i don't find issue with it, plus they're cheap second hand.

#131 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:18 PM

Well at least im not alone in owning multiple Tasco and

even using the stock eyepieces at times. My Tasco purchases are usually the $5-10 variety . I have a Tasco Galaxsee 60/900 blue that was 99 cents complete. 

Then again have spent $$$ on higher grade optics because there is a limit to what one can see with small scopes. Yet in many cases that limit is seldom reached due to annoying security lights and insufficient dark adaptation.

No reason you cant enjoy both a bicycle and a sports car.

• walter a likes this

#132 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:14 PM

I own 5 Towas including the 339 in the form of the Sears 4454. Only one of them, a 60mm f/15, has very substandard optics. Even an economical Chinese objective lens used as replacement works much better. The other 60mm f/15 has optics that could be considered very good to excellent. The 60mm f/11s have good optics. and the 339 is on a head to head with the Astro Opticals. Here are two images taken with the 60mm f/15 Sears Towa with original objective but using newer eyepieces. They are handheld iPhone images. Most well adjusted and collimated Towas are good scopes. 

Most of the problems with the Towas lie in the areas of:

Optical

-Focuser alignment

-Objective cell alignment

-Bad collimation resulting from the above.

-Eyepieces (some of them work ok)

-Almost useless 5x24mm finders with single lens baffled objectives. Earlier scopes had the same size finders but with achromatic full aperture objectives that worked well.

Mounts

-Shaky tripods but nice lighted accessory trays.

The equatorial mounts are very good. The altazimuth mounts need a lot of adjustments to work fairly well.

Attached Thumbnails

• Moon20206-29-0230UT60mmf:15Iphone.JPG
  • Moon2020-6-30-0235-60mmf-15iPhone.JPG

• astro140, Bonco2, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#133 MalRD

MalRD

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Nampa, Idaho

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:02 PM

Hi All, new to the forum... Yes i posted my introduction, so i wont go over all that again here.  I got a project Towa, which is my first telescope and Im enjoying the hell out of it so far.  I cant identify the model number or even if it has one, i don't know the year this model was manufactured and I have only seen one picture of this exact model.  So I'm hoping that someone can help me out smile.gif

I am going to motorize the RA, but its a far beefier yoke than some pictures i've seen here in the forums and they call for the celestron or Orion eq2 motor, with the larger yoke etc, should i be looking at an eq3-4 motor, just to be safe?

Towa 1
Towa 2
Towa 3
Towa 4
Towa 5
Towa 6

Mal

Edited by MalRD, 13 September 2020 - 09:06 PM.

• Bomber Bob and oldmanastro like this

#134 GeneDiG

GeneDiG

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:03 AM

Nice Towa 114. They are true workhorses. The mount looks like one of the beefier mounts that come with those Baytronix Ebay specials. I do believe they are called EQ3-1 mounts. Here is a drive for your mount:

https://www.teleskop...Q3-1-mount.html

#135 MalRD

MalRD

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Nampa, Idaho

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:20 AM

Nice Towa 114. They are true workhorses. The mount looks like one of the beefier mounts that come with those Baytronix Ebay specials. I do believe they are called EQ3-1 mounts. Here is a drive for your mount:

https://www.teleskop...Q3-1-mount.html

Ahhh Thank you... I couldn't find anything like it apart from one story which had a picture of one but didn't quote the model number.  Yes I assumed from looking at the pictures i found of similar towa mounted scopes that this could possibly be a 3 or 4, that makes a lot of sense and thank you for the link :)

Mal

#136 SamTheMan

SamTheMan

Sputnik

• ****-
  • Loc: Home: Auburn, WA 98002

Posted 20 September 2020 - 02:55 PM

Well, SamTheMan again.  I promised to give you a final update regarding upgrades to my Sears Model 3 (like Towa 80mm F15) refractor.  After about 40 hours of designing things in my head (day and night and in my dreams), I have this to show.

My Sears Model 3 is now mounted on my very old, but wonderful LXD 55 goto mount.  It is now mounted using the original clambshell from the Sears mount and a new SvBony dovetail bar. I had mounted this earlier using a long dovetail bar rail (used to de-fork a SCT) and large screw-type hose clamps.  It worked, but was ugly.

Also, I did co0mplete the upgrade on the original focuser.  It now has a helical-cut R&P and supports 1 1/4" EPs.  Howevewr, I am using something esle right now..,.an Orion focuser for their 80mm refractor.  I made a tube adapter from a 3" PVC coupling.

So I've been around the block about 100 times and this is what I have accomplished.  (BTW, I am keeping the Sears focuser.  I might use it in the future.)

Thx for looking. pics attached.

Sam

Attached Thumbnails

• Orion focuser 1.jpg
  • Orion focuser 2.jpg
  • dovetail bar 1.jpg
  • dovetail bar 2.jpg
  • comp-lete scope with orig focuser and hose clamps.jpg

• clamchip, Bonco2, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#137 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:57 PM

I picked up a Towa 305 yesterday. I got it set up and so far I'm pretty underwhelmed. I can see that the eyepieces need cleaning but my little 1961 60mm Swift spotting scope clearly outperforms it with a clearer and brighter image. Is this something some better eyepieces will help with? The ones that came with it don't seem to be very good.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics