Last July i purchased a 204mm f5.9 lens (Istar). In the last month i finally am getting around to putting a scope together. I built a simple test assembly to determine scope length, baffle location, and size. I tested the assembly during the day on a distant mountain and was pleasantly surprised at the mostly CA free view at ~35x with the 35 panoptic. Nice and sharp to almost the extreme edge.
After cutting most of the pieces out of 1/2" baltic birch plywood i started the assembly yesterday (minus the rear element, which will be 3/4" plywood). I glued the baffles and later the lens piece to a single piece of ply first, and this morning glued the rest together (rolled up into the hexagonal bundle).
I will have to sand the focuser end flat and square before measuring and cutting the rear focuser hexagon piece out of 3/4 plywood. Then i will predrill and glue in nuts for the 3" feathertouch focuser. Followed by glueing it to the scope tube.
After that lots of sanding, preassembly to determine center of balance and location of losmandy D-plate, and drilling of those holes. Lastly, stain and finish and flat black interior.
I getting excited to look through this widefield beast!!!
Thought Id share the progress!
Thanks for looking