•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do wheelie bars add instability

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Rose

Scott Rose

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Beachwood Ohio

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

I am considering an 8" to 10" sct.  With the 8" lx90' I can probably carry it.  But for the larger scopes I would consider using wheelie bars.  My question is, do these add instability into the system, like vibration.  if I can get a little more aperture without sacrificing stability, it may be worth it. 

Scott

#2 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

They don't add stability however if you have your tripod attached to it well such as using tie down straps to affix the tripod to the wheelie bar and then once in place put some tripod anti-vibration pads on the pavement under the wheelie bar then it's pretty good. Also, the higher the tripod is extended the more vibration you could be introducing. Try to get it as close to the ground as possible.  

Edited by rkaufmann87, 17 February 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#3 SomeDoSomeDont

SomeDoSomeDont

Mariner 2

• Loc: 48096 Michigan

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

Wheelie bars are a small trailer to get your scope where you can use it in your yard.

Here is an absurd example. My 12.5" f/8 on Meade mount on AP10" portable pier in my yard.

Andy

Attached Thumbnails

• 15a.jpg

Edited by SomeDoSomeDont, 17 February 2018 - 05:09 PM.

• biz likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics