•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RMSS 2018

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 juram

juram

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

Registration for the 2018 Rocky Mountain Star Stare is now open.  June 13-17 2018. To find out more about the Colorado Springs Astronomical Society premier star party, visit the website at http://rmss.org/

We have a great lineup of speakers, events for the whole family, and incredibly dark skies for outstanding observing.

See you there!

RMSS-Theme-2018b.jpg

Edited by juram, 17 February 2018 - 11:35 PM.

• txmnjim likes this

#2 Matt Russell

Matt Russell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:42 PM

I've been going to this star party since 2001.  By far, one of the best.  People are great, it's well organized and a lot of fun for all experience types.

• CCD-Freak likes this

#3 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Apollo

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

I will be registering soon.  Let's hope for clear skies.

RMSS-2-wide-sm.jpg

John

CCCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• juram likes this

#4 Matt Russell

Matt Russell

Messenger

• -----

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:03 PM

attachicon.gif RMSS-2-wide-sm.jpg

John

CCCD-Freak

WD5IKX

John, that is a really cool pic.  When did you take it?

#5 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Apollo

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:36 PM

attachicon.gif RMSS-2-wide-sm.jpg

John

CCCD-Freak

WD5IKX

John, that is a really cool pic.  When did you take it?

It was taken at RMSS 2014 and is a panorama.

This shot was made as I pulled out after RMSS 2013

RMSS 2013_stitch-xsm.jpg

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

#6 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ***--
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

The video of RMSS 2017 is now available on YouTube. Not much observing last year due to weather, but a lot of daytime activities. I plan to attend this year.

Joe.

RMSS_2017_Panorama1b.jpg

• CCD-Freak, juram and MalvoliO77 like this

#7 juram

juram

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:47 AM

Joe -- thanks for posting the video!

• CCD-Freak likes this

#8 Matt Russell

Matt Russell

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:44 PM

Yes, thanks for the video.  This is always a blast.

#9 juram

juram

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:41 PM

By the way, if anyone checked out Joe's video, don't let the winter coats scare you off.  That was just one weird weather pattern for a late June day.  It's normally in the 80's during the day!

#10 MalvoliO77

MalvoliO77

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

Fantastic video; brings back some good memories.

#11 Ron359

Ron359

Viking 1

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

By the way, if anyone checked out Joe's video, don't let the winter coats scare you off.  That was just one weird weather pattern for a late June day.  It's normally in the 80's during the day!

Might be 80's during the day but it will go below freezing at night.  I always bring the down coat or winter gear for night, and sometimes they're useful during the day.  

#12 Davesterx

Davesterx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

It's going to be a fantastic dark sky event. I made the mistake last year of not bringing my 10" dob which I use extensively for visual observing/outreach and thought I'd stick to a little refractor scope. I didn't realize how much I'd miss my scope! This year my baby is coming with me (If I don't buckle and buy a 16" ultraportable to bring instead). The ES guys are going to be there so maybe I will wait and see if I can't get it at a discount!

Dave

#13 Matt Russell

Matt Russell

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:01 PM

TeleVue, Top Meteorite, Explore Scientific & NASA Night Sky Network have confirmed vendor/booth slots at this early date.

#14 juram

juram

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

Here is a list of some of the speakers and activities for RMSS 2018:

Thursday, June 14th
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM, Kids Activity: “Gravity and Black Holes” by Dave Warner
1:00 PM – 4:00 PM, Solar observing with Roger Kennedy
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM, Presentation: RJ Smith, Software Bisque
7:30 PM – 8:30 PM, Presentation: “Starting and Running a Small Business in Astro” by Bob Morrow

Friday, June 15th
9:30 AM – 12:00 PM, Kids Activity:  “Asteroids and Comets” with Dave Warner
10:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Solar observing with Roger Kennedy
10:30 AM – 12:00 PM, ATM Walkabout, Meet at Town Hall
11:30 AM – 12:00 PM, Jim West Memorial Youth in Science Lecture: TBD
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM, Presentation: “SkySafari” by Bill Tschumy
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, Kids Activity:  Paper Rockets with Dave Warner
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM, Presentation:  “SDO and the Parker Solar Probe” by Roger Kennedy
7:30 PM – 8:30 PM, Presentation:  “Jupiter and the Juno Mission” by Fran Bagenal
9:00 PM – 10:00 PM, Kids & Adults Astronomy, Navigating the Night Sky

Saturday, June 16th
9:00 AM – 11:30 AM, Kids Activity: “Cool Science” with Marc Straub
10:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Solar observing with Roger Kennedy
2:30 PM – 3:00 PM, Kids Door Prize Drawing
2:30 PM – 4:00 PM, Swap Meet
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM, Adult Door Prize & Award Winners of Raffle Drawing
7:30 PM – 8:30 PM, Presentation:  “Saturn and the Cassini Mission” by Amanda Hendrix
9:00 PM – 10:00 PM, Kids & Adults Astronomy, Navigating the Night Sky

Check us out and register at http://rmss.org/

• Joe F Gafford and CCD-Freak like this

#15 Matt Russell

Matt Russell

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

Early registration ends on May 7th.  After that date, registration fees go up.

http://rmss.org

#16 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Apollo

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:51 AM

Has there been much rain lately?  How are the road conditions?   Any smoke from the fires in New Mexico or southern Colorado? 

2018 has been such a strange year weather wise just want to be prepared.

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

6-4-2018 WX-color-crop.jpg

Edited by CCD-Freak, 05 June 2018 - 12:02 PM.

#17 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ***--

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:08 PM

This from my club member today.

"The 416 fire north of Durango continues to be dangerous and stubborn ...only 10% contained

Our skies between  Creede  and Lake City are hazy...Durango to Gardner straight line distance is Approx 175 miles...add in the Ute fire near  Cimarron  NM ...25% contained...and it is an unknown how RMSS will be effected

Forecast continues to be hot dry and windy ...hoping late next week will see great improvement for fire containment and smoke

Incidentally ...there has been an open fire ban in the New Mexico  Santa Fe forest since early May. When the Forest service patrolled the camp sites after Memorial Day they found over 100 fires still burning and unattended

I have no words for this behavior"

Joe

#18 juram

juram

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

Has there been much rain lately?  How are the road conditions?   

John -- we were down there two weeks ago.  The roads are in really good condition.  The double road leading up the hill to the property has been widened into a single, wide lane.  It's really easy pulling a camper up there now.

It's pretty dry everywhere in the state.  But the extended forecast is showing chance of rain just in time for RMSS....hopefully, that forecast improves over the next week!  I never trust the forecasts until about a day or two prior.

#19 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Let's hope the weather cooperates and gives us some nice nights.

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 06 June 2018 - 08:34 AM.

#20 DenverGreg

DenverGreg

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:13 PM

I'm planning on attending this event. If you are thinking about a "walk-in" registration, keep your eyes on the fires. Smoke is always a problem in the Rockies during the summer wildfire season, and this looks to be an early season, given the high temperatures. However, I always enjoy the programming at RMSS, even if the weather disappoints. Fran Bagenal from the University of Colorado is one of the speakers this year. I've had the pleasure of hearing her talk at least three times. She gives informative and entertaining presentations. Also this year, I understand that there will be a food truck available for all meals Thursday-Saturday (except for the Scout breakfast Saturday morning, which required pre-registration).

Two big reminders: there is no water onsite (bring your own), and keep food, trash, and "smelly" items secured. There are black bears in the area, and there's been at least one cooler raid at RMSS within the last few years!

I'm not one of the organizers, but I just thought I'd put this out for those who haven't attended before.

#21 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

Latest news with regard to the Durango fire, seems to indicate that Colorado (Forest Service therein) has or is going to be shutting down the forest. Not clear if that is the entire state or ??  Any word on how that might impact the RMSS ?

#22 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ***--

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:24 PM

Latest news with regard to the Durango fire, seems to indicate that Colorado (Forest Service therein) has or is going to be shutting down the forest. Not clear if that is the entire state or ??  Any word on how that might impact the RMSS ?

Still a GO! So far, just smoke. The 416 and Ute mountain (NM) fires are mountain ranges away from the site. So far, the San Juan forest is closed. This star party had to leave earlier than expected once because of a fire starting. We were the first to report that fire. That fire was so far the largest in Colorado history. They closed the Pike forest for that summer. I had to get a permit to get at the cabin that year. 

The weather forecast has chance of afternoon and evening thunderstorms for the star party with a system with a greater chance of rain in the area on Monday. Hopefully we get some clear skies before midnight each night.

Joe

Edited by Joe F Gafford, 12 June 2018 - 10:26 PM.

• txmnjim likes this

#23 txmnjim

txmnjim

Viking 1

• Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:07 PM

any updates? sure hoping the fires and smoke stay away from you all.

#24 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ***--

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:26 PM

I came back early. Rain forecast tonight. We had sucker hole observing on Wednesday and Friday nights. Thursday night was a washout. I got the 18" drive, optics and the CCD camera tested after major maintenance on both before the clouds came in as I prepared for a shot. No saved images this trip. We had a good part of the field observing through the sucker holes to midnight on Wednesday and Friday nights. The Wallflower grocery store is closed in town. The CSAS is putting electrical to the building later this summer and hopefully a freezer for ice, (hint, hint) and that will keep down the generator noises. It is 60 miles+ round trip to Walsenburg for ice. The food service was excellent this year. SCOOPED ice cream, snacks, drinks, cookies to full meals (B,L&D) pay at the counter. The caterer owns a restaurant in Walsenburg. The Boy Scouts had their usual good Saturday morning breakfast as usual. A good ATM walkabout this year. I will get the video processed and put on my YouTube page later.

Joe

Edit: Teaser.

P6135397.jpg

Edited by Joe F Gafford, 16 June 2018 - 09:32 PM.

• txmnjim likes this

#25 k2ramair

k2ramair

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Golden, CO

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:35 PM

Saturday was very cloudy, but it cleared up in the evening then promptly socked in as it got dark.  However, by midnight or so, it cleared.  The sky was mind blowing.  I was observing through my Meade 826 until the sun came up and saw all kinds of things I have not seen before.  I put the scope on Mars as the sun came up and watched it well into the morning.  It was a good night I will remember for awhile.  Thanks to all who sacrificed by packing up early wink.gif.  And especially all those volunteers who organized and worked the event.

This was my first event.  I recommend it, and would do it again.  The people were amazing and very helpful.  There was a lot of good discussions and presentations.  Lot's of great door prizes and an awesome raffle.  Many neat scopes from an old Meade 10" research grade scope to Elvira.  It is too bad the sky's made it difficult for them to do there thing.

• txmnjim likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics