•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1st Night Out since November...all was not well

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• **---
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

Well, after a 4 to 5 month hiatus due to crappy weather, we had what seemed like an opening. There was just a trace of cloud over the mountain to the west but all seemed ok. Skies from my urban backyard were pristine. So I was tickled pink about getting first light from my new ASI1600MCS that I got for my 70th in November. Plugged in everything and did my polar alignment with PoleMaster...yada, yada, yada..Then PHD notified me on the fly that a new update was available. OK that took 2 mininutes or less. By this time I'm really flying..everything going great. THEN....I turned on my DMK21/Orion 50mm mini guide-scope. I got a 3 inch matted pattern on my laptop screen. I put my hand over the guide-scope and this image still came up about every 10 seconds. I farted around for another half-our and had that funny feeling that something was overhead. I glanced upward, still wondering why I was getting this pattern, and realized the clouds were literally in my face. So at near freezing temps with a wind chill, I rushed everything back in to the basment.

Today, 3 days later, I went back to PHD on my laptop. The same thing was happpening. I brought up my native DMK software to connect the DMK21 (mono) CCD. All was well..I could image the telephone pole across the street out of my basement window. What the heck???

Finally a light came on...My new ASI1600 camera will run as a webcam...just like my DMK. PHD so I find out after much frustration, selected my new ASI1600 as the default guide camera. Switched back to the DMK an all is well again.

I must remember to check the default camera when I go out to image each time. I can not see any setting in the PHD2 User Profile to change the order and/or select my DMK on a permanent basis.  The main thing is that once again I am nearly a happy camper.

#2 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:19 PM

Good to hear the camera you got for your 70th is bringing you joy grin.gif.  Still sounds like a goodnight out and trying to shake out  all the bugs is on its way.  Please post some pics when you can.  Do you ever go portable?  If you do, what do you power all that equipment with? -  Donnie

Edited by DonnieBe, 17 February 2018 - 11:21 PM.

#3 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• **---
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:29 PM

Thanks Donnie,

I'm basically portable all the time as I do not have an observatory. But I work off of 120 VAC down to a 12VDC, 5Amp converter that has 3 cigarette type lighter sockets...1 for the CCD, 1 for the mount, and a spare for my Kendrick Dew Heater. I haven't been truly portable for 2 years now. Our near-by dark site was closed to the public two years ago. I went with a friend who has a generator. Worked great and our city is getting more light polluted by the day. I was born here in 1947 and when I was about 12, the population was about 15,000. Now the greater Nanaimo area is 120,000 +. There are subdivisions popping up around us every month. 200 new homes here, another 200 there....everywhere!

Edited by RandallK, 17 February 2018 - 11:33 PM.

• DonnieBe likes this

#4 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:55 PM

Thanks Donnie,

I'm basically portable all the time as I do not have an observatory. But I work off of 120 VAC down to a 12VDC, 5Amp converter that has 3 cigarette type lighter sockets...1 for the CCD, 1 for the mount, and a spare for my Kendrick Dew Heater. I haven't been truly portable for 2 years now. Our near-by dark site was closed to the public two years ago. I went with a friend who has a generator. Worked great and our city is getting more light polluted by the day. I was born here in 1947 and when I was about 12, the population was about 15,000. Now the greater Nanaimo area is 120,000 +. There are subdivisions popping up around us every month. 200 new homes here, another 200 there....everywhere!

More, and more, reason to start getting portable.  I don't have imaging yet, thank god!  That is quite a portable set you have!  Im trying to snag a Goal Zero Yeti 150 with 30w solar array.  I plan on just powering the mount for the lx90 with it only.  Dew Control from a shield.  What are your thoughts?

#5 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• **---
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:20 AM

I can't comment on that but maybe someone will chime in.....or....put up another post. Good luck.

#6 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:31 AM

Well Good Luck Randall, from the balmy, snowy, 26*, southern neighbor in NH USA

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics