•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommendations for an auto focuser for Orion Skyquest XT12 goto

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Flungcow

Flungcow

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Katy, TX

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:54 PM

My hands shake and I'm in need of an auto focuser preferably in the neighborhood of $150 but can go higher. It has the dual speed Crayford focuser

#2 HubSky

HubSky

Vostok 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:07 PM

I use the JMI one for my xx12g though more expensive and not readily available at the moment. 

https://farpointastr...-speed-focuser/

I also use the Orion Accufocus on my refractor that I know can be used on a single speed crayford but not sure about a dual speed.  I'm thinking it just has to be mounted on the side of the single speed focus knob.  May want to call Orion to confirm. 

https://www.telescop...ord=accufocuser

I like both.  The Orion version is bulkier, but less expensive, and though larger I also like its control box better than the JMI version

#3 Bean614

Bean614

Messenger

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:36 PM

I may be mistaken, but I believe the OP wants an "AUTO" Focuser, not just a 'Moto' Focuser.  Correct, OP?

#4 Flungcow

Flungcow

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Katy, TX

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

Thank you both for the reply. I was actually just meaning an electronic focuser and I have that Orion 7395 Accufocus but it doesn't fit right on the dual speed Crayford. But, last night I disassembled my Crayford and Reversed it (had to reverse it becase the set screw has to be on a certain side) and removed the single knob and got it to work. However, it is weak on that dual speed Crayford because it takes a little more torque for the dual speed. I am going to monkey with it some more sometime and see if I can get it to work better. If not, I will look into that JMI unit. THANKS!

Edited by Flungcow, 18 February 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#5 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:47 PM

This pic shows what used to come with the accufocus for attachment to a crayford focuser.

Don't know if it can be purchased separately now or not.

I sold these parts a few years ago so not much help to you accept to show what you need.

The accufocus actually works quite well on my R & P focuser.

gallery_198339_4425_1407449932_26486.jpg

Eric

Edited by beatlejuice, 18 February 2018 - 02:48 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics