•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Parallax 125 mount

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:05 PM

I bought this mount and have been really impressed with it. Very robust mount. I would say on the same level as a Losmandy G11 mount.    The tripod that came with it is the same tripod that is used by Questar.  It is  a very steady tripod. I will putting this mount on a pier that I have that will be permanently mounted outside. I need to find some motor drives for it.   Does anyone remember this mount and has anyone installed some more up todate drives on one.  I have seen in where someone installed a losmandy drive on one of these. 

parallax 125 mount.jpg

• Deven Matlick, Jim Curry, steve t and 6 others like this

#2 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:20 PM

I bought this mount and have been really impressed with it. Very robust mount. I would say on the same level as a Losmandy G11 mount.    The tripod that came with it is the same tripod that is used by Questar.  It is  a very steady tripod. I will putting this mount on a pier that I have that will be permanently mounted outside. I need to find some motor drives for it.   Does anyone remember this mount and has anyone installed some more up todate drives on one.  I have seen in where someone installed a losmandy drive on one of these. 

attachicon.gif parallax 125 mount.jpg

Really cool mount!  Did not know that Parallax made one that small.   I know that their big mounts can come with the Gemini system used by Losmandy, and also with the losmandy Digital drive system.  I would contact Parallax directly to see what would be required to attach the motors.  I am certain you can get the control computer and stepper motors directly from Losmandy.  You can also pick them up used on Astromart every once and awhile.

I have a Parallax "portable" Pier that is probably one of the best pieces of gear I have purchased.  It is great and I would not get out to image nearly as much with out it.   That mount you have is certainly built to last.    Hope you have fun with it !!

Cheers!

JMD

#3 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:29 PM

attachicon.gif parallax 125 mount.jpg

Really cool mount!  Did not know that Parallax made one that small.   I know that their big mounts can come with the Gemini system used by Losmandy, and also with the losmandy Digital drive system.  I would contact Parallax directly to see what would be required to attach the motors.  I am certain you can get the control computer and stepper motors directly from Losmandy.  You can also pick them up used on Astromart every once and awhile.

I have a Parallax "portable" Pier that is probably one of the best pieces of gear I have purchased.  It is great and I would not get out to image nearly as much with out it.   That mount you have is certainly built to last.    Hope you have fun with it !!

Cheers!

JMD

Thanks

#4 rfic1

rfic1

Viking 1

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:16 AM

This is the series 125 mount from the 90's. Very similar to early Dobbins mounts. In fact Joe may have obtained the castings from Dobbins.  I had one in the past and really liked it. Used it with my ApoMax. Typically supplied with a robust adjustable wooden tripod. Dives and control box were from Losmandy. Probably the same as the G11

• rolo likes this

#5 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:41 AM

I would say the mount could hold 60 lbs with ease so i can use it with any of my scopes. will have to see if i can balance it with smaller scopes like an 4" APO. It uses the same counterweights as my CGE uses which is handy.

#6 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: GA

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

P

Not sure how accurate this info is...

PARALLAX SERIES 125 GERMAN EQUATORIAL MOUNT

Large thrust surfaces for rapid vibration dampening
5.625" bronze worm wheels with mating stainless worms pinned to worm shaft
2 sets of precision tapered roller bearings
Centerless ground 1-1/4" stainless steel polar and declination shafts
12VDC stepper motors in both axes for smooth motion and minimum current consumption
3" dia. setting circles, direct reading
Detachable stainless steel counterweight shaft with safety stop
Superb dual axis digital electronics package with full featured hand held drive controller and control panel, CCD ready. 4 tracking rates, 3 slewing rates, and 3 photo guide rates. 12VDC cigarette lighter cord is included.
Reversible RA drive permits operation in either hemisphere
(2) 12lb. counterweights
Bubble level and fine adjust altitude and azimuth knobs
Precision fluted clutch knobs for easy no-tool clutch tension adjustment
12" long x 4" wide saddle plate (other sizes available as well as dovetail type saddles)
Weight of equatorial head without counterweights: approx. 46 lbs.
Will support 8" to 10" fast Newtonians, up to 11" SCT's, 7" refractors

ASTRO-PHYSICS GTO COMPUTER SYSTEM FEATURES
used on the Series 125

Edited by rolo, 18 February 2018 - 09:03 AM.

#7 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

P

Not sure how accurate this info is...

PARALLAX SERIES 125 GERMAN EQUATORIAL MOUNT

Large thrust surfaces for rapid vibration dampening
5.625" bronze worm wheels with mating stainless worms pinned to worm shaft
2 sets of precision tapered roller bearings
Centerless ground 1-1/4" stainless steel polar and declination shafts
12VDC stepper motors in both axes for smooth motion and minimum current consumption
3" dia. setting circles, direct reading
Detachable stainless steel counterweight shaft with safety stop
Superb dual axis digital electronics package with full featured hand held drive controller and control panel, CCD ready. 4 tracking rates, 3 slewing rates, and 3 photo guide rates. 12VDC cigarette lighter cord is included.
Reversible RA drive permits operation in either hemisphere
(2) 12lb. counterweights
Bubble level and fine adjust altitude and azimuth knobs
Precision fluted clutch knobs for easy no-tool clutch tension adjustment
12" long x 4" wide saddle plate (other sizes available as well as dovetail type saddles)
Weight of equatorial head without counterweights: approx. 46 lbs.
Will support 8" to 10" fast Newtonians, up to 11" SCT's, 7" refractors

ASTRO-PHYSICS GTO COMPUTER SYSTEM FEATURES
used on the Series 125

Interesting.  The history I have found on Astromart which goes back to about 2000. None of them showed an AP GTO system.  Showed some gear I have never seen before and I hope I never do see.

#8 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

I was gonna buy that mount but someone beat me to it. Kinda odd that everything i wanna buy someone is buying it out from under me. First a 3.5 Q then a 6.x30 finder and now that P125 mount if that was the one that was on AM a week or so ago.

#9 rfic1

rfic1

Viking 1

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:36 AM

The HD 150 and 200 series used AP Goto but I am nearly 100% positive the 125 was Losmandy.

Perhaps the last of the 125's had the option for AP goto.

The early 125"s had a issue the way the mount head was adapted /secured to the base plate. The corrected version has bolts  coming down as seen in the poster's photo. The early ones where placed laterally and not though the adapter head which was not secure with heavy loads, The early Dobbins mount where similar. 

The 125 was a much higher load capacity mount than the G11. That is why I chose it to mount the ApoMax.

#10 rfic1

rfic1

Viking 1

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

Here is a photo. This was a earlier version. You can see the mount head to base plate  knob is  placed laterally to secure the mount head. (Black knob by the cord). This was more of a tension fit. 

I must say with the heavy duty wood tripod it was a nice looking mount. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2600.jpg
  • IMG_2601.jpg

• Deven Matlick, Jeff B, steve t and 2 others like this

#11 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

I was gonna buy that mount but someone beat me to it. Kinda odd that everything i wanna buy someone is buying it out from under me. First a 3.5 Q then a 6.x30 finder and now that P125 mount if that was the one that was on AM a week or so ago.

Was gonna and actually buying something  are two different actionsgrin.gif

• rolo and BullTerrier like this

#12 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

Here is a photo. This was a earlier version. You can see the mount head to base plate  knob is  placed laterally to secure the mount head. (Black knob by the cord). This was more of a tension fit. 

That was an expensive mount for the 90's.

#13 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

I can see it looks there is worm gear or something on the DEC drive.  If you look at my picture the DEC drive is attached to the mounting plate and a threaded rod moves the DEC back and forth and that rod has a nut type deal fixed to the DEC shaft housing.  There is no gear on the DEC shaft. 

#14 rfic1

rfic1

Viking 1

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:03 AM

To this day that was one of the best wood tripods I have ever seen or used.

Price was if I recall about $300 more than a G11 not including the extra for the tripod or pier option. 

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#15 rfic1

rfic1

Viking 1

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

As one may say: you snooze you loose

• rolo, starman876, Geo31 and 1 other like this

#16 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

As one may say: you snooze you loose

Heard that phrase for years from my brother since I was a little kid. Good phrase to remember. see something you want you better take action right then. with all the people in the world you would be kind of stupid to think that you are the only one with the same wants.

• rolo and BullTerrier like this

#17 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the photos.  I'd forgotten how visually stunning those Parallax mounts are.

I've bought a lot of astro-stuff, but I've missed out on more than I've gotten.  I won't ever forget that low-priced Unitron 128 that sold on eBay while I was at work and couldn't bid on it (DOD computer security blocked me).

#18 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

Got a bunch of replies for the Losmandy G11 drive system.  Bought two of them.  Looks like I will have a drive system alsolaugh.gif

• steve t, Geo31 and Bomber Bob like this

#19 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

here are some of the 125 mounts with different drives. Some of which I have never seen

https://www.astromar...ified_id=811950

https://www.astromar...ified_id=630664

https://www.astromar...ified_id=403223

https://www.astromar...ified_id=336631

i think the above mount is the one I have now.

#20 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Vanguard

• Loc: Florida

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

Mine looks a bit bigger, uses Losmandy system. No goto but does have star commander. Holds my 5" f15 and 6" f12 without any problem.

• starman876 and Bomber Bob like this

#21 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:31 PM

I wonder if you could just drop a G11 dec shaft, saddle plate and dec drive into that one ? May be worth a call to Joe at Parallax...

#22 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

I wonder if you could just drop a G11 dec shaft, saddle plate and dec drive into that one ? May be worth a call to Joe at Parallax...

Might give that a shot.  Thanks Rolo.

• rolo likes this

#23 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

waytogo.gif

• starman876 likes this

#24 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Always nice to hear positive comments in a post.waytogo.gif

#25 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

Mine looks a bit bigger, uses Losmandy system. No goto but does have star commander. Holds my 5" f15 and 6" f12 without any problem.

The mount is beefy for it's size.  Glad I bought it.  Saw the listing as soon as it came out and emailed the seller right away.  Seller is a great guy to deal with.  He had a bunch of great deals at the same time. I felt like a kid in  a candy store, but I controlled myself.   bawling.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics