•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small Alt-AZ for 80/480 refractor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grzybu

grzybu

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:33 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for small alt-az mount for my 80/480 refractor to be considered as travel setup where I have to grab the telescope, tripod and mount and walk for a while to darker place when I'm on i.e. vacation.

I have motorized Celestron SLT but it's too big and I'm pretty tired of using motorized mount as it takes ages to point the telescope to much different direction. 

So far I'm using quite carbon tripod or heavy surveyor tripod (at home) with big ball head with ball leaned at the side so it works pretty well if it's balanced but such head is not intended to be used with higher power and it's quite hard to use it above 50x. 

AZ4 and Porta clones are too big for my needs and the scope itself is small.
I shouldn't have any problem with balancing as I'm using Baader Zoom eyepiece for most of the time, sometimes with barlow, but it means that once balance is done it should be fine.

I was thinking about TS AZT6 . https://www.teleskop...otostative.html

azt6-tspkm-travelmount.jpg

It seems to be quite light (below 1kg) but is it any good for planetary observations at about 160-200x? 

I know it has no micro adjustments but maybe it's smooth enough to handle this?

Maybe there is something similar, small enough but with micro adjustments, light and small enough to be considered as grab and walk for a while?

Price between 100-200 Euro for mount, without tripod. 

#2 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:36 AM

The above is nice, I have the WO EZT mount which is somewhat similar.

Stability is in the tripod more then the head. Mine is on an EQ5 tripod.

Why not a motorised item? Do you mean goto or not?

Half the reason I ask is that with a manual mount and at 160x you have 45 seconds before the planet goes from planet in the center to planet half off the edge. That is not very long. Goto may be liked or disliked but tracking is much more relevant and in many cases much more required. I am happy to use an EQ with tracking alone and not overly bothered by goto, but I will not consider no tracking.

Will point out that you kind of "need" a second base/plate item so one on both sides (sorry forget the name), then you head off to a DIY store and buy a meter length of wood that slides in and clamps in. Then you use this arm to move the head+scope around the sky. Mine has a nice gold coloured shallow D shaped length in. Works brilliantly.

What exactly is the scope?

#3 grzybu

grzybu

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:52 AM

The tracking function of the STL mount is really nic but goto is way to slow. I'd like to have some nice, manual mount to keep things simple. I may keep SLT for just planetary/moon observations from the balcony. 

The idea with long arm for more precise manual tracking is very nice smile.gif It may work fine on my balcony if I decide to keep only on mount. On vacation I'm more focused on DSO so I don't need more power than 60-80x. 

I just want to make things simpler for casual use as I do. That's why I'm going to sell my other scopes and leave only one, good enough for me. 

The scope is TS 80/480 FPL-53 triplet:

photoline-triplet-apo-80mm-f6-1000.jpg

#4 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:03 AM

Desert Sky Astro's DSV 1 takes a while to get but is beautifully made, includes a handle as standard and comes in single or dual saddle versions.

#5 Per Stymne

Per Stymne

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Söderbärke, Sweden

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:39 PM

It seems to be quite light (below 1kg) but is it any good for planetary observations at about 160-200x? 

I know it has no micro adjustments but maybe it's smooth enough to handle this?

Maybe there is something similar, small enough but with micro adjustments, light and small enough to be considered as grab and walk for a while?

Price between 100-200 Euro for mount, without tripod. 

I use the TS AZT6 for my Skywatcher Heritage 130P (a.k.a. AWB Onesky and Bushnell Ares 5) on an old (15 years) Manfrotto 055 tripod and a Skywatcher tripod extension. The tube weight of the 130P is just 3.2 kilos. This setup is quite stable, and lightweight, and it works great as a grab-n-go setup.

The original, built-in centre column of the tripod was stable with a DSLR or a 15x70 binocular, but not with the altaz mount and the scope. I replaced the centre column with the Skywatcher tripod extension. All that was needed was a 3/8" bolt and a thick ( 2 mm) washer for mounting the extension on the top of the tripod. The extension is 215 mm long, and the scope goes clear of the tripod legs - as you can see in the picture. 

I have not had any unbalance issues, even with heavy eyepieces. If the scope needs to be balanced precisely, an optional counterweight shaft and counterweight can be added.

Altair Astro sells this mount as a kit, including the shaft and the counterweight, and an extra side arm extension:

https://www.altairas...17_HDR_1-1.JPG]

https://www.teleskop...avel-mount.html

https://www.teleskop...ierung-AZ5.html

L_IMG_20180222_150142217_HDR_1-1.JPG

#6 Simon B

Simon B

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: BC, Canada

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

The Vixen Mini-Porta is one you might want to think about

I have an ST80 with a dual speed focuser - with diagonal, eyepiece (32mm plossl) and metal RDF, it weighs 2.48kgs

I tested it at 100x, and vibrations die down in about 1 second when moving the slow motion control, or when focusing.
It's even better with my 90mm mak (~1.8kgs with diagonal, eyepiece, RDF), there is almost no vibration

The mini-porta head has a 1/4"-20 screw at the bottom, and it weighs 1.26kgs
I mount it on a velbon ultra 655 tripod (which has a 1/4-20 screw at the top; most other tripods have 3/8-16), which folds down to 37cm and weighs 1.6kgs

It's really great for travelling! And slow-motion controls is an absolute necessity for me

I hope this helps!

Grab 'n Go Setup - Upgraded Focuser

Edited by Simon B, 07 March 2018 - 06:54 PM.

#7 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

I have the TS AZ5 head unit, which can handle two scopes  up to 13kg. It rides on a Skywatcher EQ5 tripod, which you can probably source locally and save on shipping.  

I use it for my TS80, and my astro binoculars mounted on the other side. It supports a choice of dovetails and bino mounts.

Edited by glend, 07 March 2018 - 07:57 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics