•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSS going open source

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 pfile

pfile

Skylab

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:08 PM

Hi All,

for those of you that do not subscribe to the DSS yahoo group, many things have happened recently. sadly at the end of January, Sander Pool unexpectedly passed away. Sander was not directly involved with DSS but he had moderated the yahoo group, and answered questions about the software in the group for several years. Luc Coiffier (the author of DSS) had not been seen nor heard from for quite a long time (many years in fact).

when the news of Sander's death reached the group, there was a lot of discussion about just what had become of Luc. David Partridge (another participant in the yahoo group) was able to make contact with Luc, who posted a message to the group today indicating he is going to open source DSS.

this is very good news. at the very least this means we should see a 64-bit version of DSS.

also, Luc is hoping to find a new person to moderate DeepSkyStacker@yahoogroups.com in case someone is interested.

rob

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Gemini

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

I may look into helping with the coding. Sounds like a good project.

#3 seigell

seigell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 'Burbs of Phoenix

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:17 PM

Once Luc has Open-Sourced DSS, there are numerous places where contributions would be SO WELCOMED by all of us DSS Fans:

64-bit Executable and Memory Access

DCRAW Replacement / Update (Dave Coffin's DCRAW hasn't seen an Update in about 2 years - leaving most New DSLRs without direct RAW File support)

Darks Library Management / Selection (Barry Etter's DarkMaster produces DSS File Lists based on EXIF Temp data - but hasn't been updated since 2015)

Better Installer (since Windows 10 makes it even more difficult to Extract into Program Files tree)

Better handling of DRIZZLE

Consolidated / Updated / Enhanced User Manual (Sander Pool could usually diagnose most User Issues seemingly by heart - we lost a real gem there...)

I'm sure most DSS Users have additions to any DSS Feature Updates List...

But, let's hope that Luc's successfully able to plant DSS into an Open-Source environment where it can flourish and grow (hopefully as well as PHD has done)!!

Edited by seigell, 22 February 2018 - 07:18 PM.

#4 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:20 PM

If it goes 64bit I might host a mirror.

#5 whwang

whwang

Vanguard

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

Sorry to hear the news about Sander.  I did not visit the yahoo group often.  But every time when I visited it, I saw Sander there answering questions and helping beginners.  It's too bad.

#6 pfile

pfile

Skylab

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:35 PM

btw, here is an obituary for sander:

https://www.theridge...-of-ridgefield/

rob

#7 dciobota

dciobota

Apollo

• Loc: Omaha, Nebrrrraska

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

Sad to hear about Sander, he was a very helpful fellow.

Good news from Luc though, DSS is still my favorite stacking program, despite its limitations.

#8 skycamper

skycamper

Apollo

• Loc: Beaverton OR

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

My computer skills are limited so Im thankful for DSS, Ive not been able to make others work as easily.  RIP Sander.

Edited by skycamper, 24 February 2018 - 03:34 AM.

#9 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:32 PM

It would be real interesting to see the first Open Source release and the features they add in future releases.  Seigell above has a good starting list.  Isn't DCRAW being replaced with the Open Source equivalent - libraw?

#10 seigell

seigell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 'Burbs of Phoenix

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

Isn't DCRAW being replaced with the Open Source equivalent - libraw?

libraw is designed from the ground up to be utilized as a Linkable Library (as well as to be Open-Source).

DCRAW is/was specifically NOT a Library (Dave Coffin's used to explain his reasons), and DSS used DCRAW as essentially in-line code.

Once Open-Sourced, someone will surely undertake such a task to move DSS toward using the Open-Source libraw.  But it will probably be a non-trivial effort.

Hopefully, Open-Source DSS will draw in a couple of high-caliber Coders as well as gain a Guiding Design Structure/Document/Influence, so that the eventual results are as much an Enhancement to DSS's Spirit as the Open-PHD-Guiding Team has done with PHD (it's still "Push Here Dummy" Simple to get started but has numerous enhanced features that Dr Stark never envisioned).

GO DSS!!

#11 whwang

whwang

Vanguard

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

I like PHD, and I really like PHD2.  I hope I will be able to say the same to DSS2.  I am not a good programmer, but I know some algorithms related to image stacking.  I will be happy to provide my input to whomever working on the open DSS.

#12 pfile

pfile

Skylab

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

according to Luc on the mailing list, new moderators have been chosen and the source has been pushed to github, but for now it looks like it's "closed" to just a handful of people. that's probably not a bad thing as the project will need leaders before it gets thrown wide open.

luc said top priorities are likely to be 64bit address space and new RAW support.

rob

#13 calypsob

calypsob

Soyuz

• Loc: Roanoke, Virginia

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

I saw this the other day on yahoo groups, RIP Sander Pool.  As for DSS, great things to come I would imagine.  OHD-2 has come such a long ways.  It will be great to see what becomes of DSS.  I wonder if DSS live will also become open sourced? 

#14 calypsob

calypsob

Soyuz

• Loc: Roanoke, Virginia

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

I like PHD, and I really like PHD2.  I hope I will be able to say the same to DSS2.  I am not a good programmer, but I know some algorithms related to image stacking.  I will be happy to provide my input to whomever working on the open DSS.

Outlier rejection via image stacking has always fascinated me.  I would like to one day see confidence interval based multiple linear regression designed for huge data sets of 100 images or more. It will be interesting to see what can be done once they open discussion boards. 

#15 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: EU, N 52 E 6

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

Support for native Linux and macOS is a good idea. Now I use Virtualbox to run Win10 on my Mac to run DSS.

#16 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Apollo

• Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:36 PM

DSS was the only thing I ever ran in emulation on my Mac, it was that good. I have missed it since OS X moved past my copy of Parallels and Windows XP Pro. I found DSS to be fast and reliable to register and stack, with excellent output. DSS taught me a huge amount about AP and it was always nice to have the help pages as reference materials. What a legacy! Bless those who jump in and contribute.

#17 ecloud

ecloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dalian, China

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:41 AM

hah...

after Siril released the windows version, they finally decided to make DSS opensource?

Interesting...

#18 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:21 AM

I can certainly contribute to the Comet Stacking part of DSS. I worked with Luc many years ago to define how time-stamp interpolated alignment of comets  should work. Luc implemented it within 24 hours. The weak part of the comet features is the automated combination of star aligned and comet alighted stacks - that needs massive improving. I have a number of practical algorithms developed over the last 5 years that should help here.

The other weak area in DSS is the post processing tools. These are really damaging to images if used. Most of the stretch functions offered having nothing to do with AP. If you are going to support non-linear stretches then having CURVES, DDP, ASINH and such like would be infinitely better.

How do you get involved? I've recently retired after 35 years of professional software and algorithm developement so am skilled up for this.

Edited by Tonk, 27 February 2018 - 03:26 AM.

#19 moabyte

moabyte

Viking 1

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: UT

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

Getting involved:

• create an account (free for OSS) at github.com
  • fork the DSS repository (https://github.com/matdrapes/DSS)
  • make changes and commit them to your fork
  • create a pull request to have your changes brought into original DSS repo
  • update your repo with changes made in original repo (repeat this as necessary)

There's another thread for this in the Astro Software forum, let's continue this discussion there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics