•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oregon Star Party August 7-12, 2018

astrophotography beginner binoculars observatory observing outreach star party
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:05 PM

Excellent dark skies – central Oregon – 5000 feet at Indian Trail Spring in the Ochoco National Forest. This year we’ll be treated to a beautiful display of the Perseid Meteor Shower!

http://oregonstarparty.org/

https://www.facebook...39843939362143/

• ctcables and ShaulaB like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:34 PM

Yep, this star party and a couple in Texas and NM are the best sites in the nation for dark skies.  Love it !

Edited by petert913, 22 February 2018 - 11:34 PM.

#3 WadeH237

WadeH237

Gemini

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

I do three or four star parties each year, and Oregon Star Party is the highlight for me.  Dark skies, plenty of space and fairly level ground.

The the biggest downside is that it's really dusty.  Also, if you are not prepared to stay on site the whole time, it's nearly an hour drive into town (which is an upside for dark skies).  Also, did I mention that it's really dusty?

Another benefit for me is that it's on public land, so the site is accessible before and after the star party.  I usually turn it into a two week vacation (I have a motorhome and can easily dry camp for that amount of time).

• ctcables likes this

#4 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

This year will be so much easier compared to last year's eclipse insanity. We won't have to share the USF road with another 70k solar party revelers.

• ctcables likes this

#5 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

My wife and I want to come up on the 9th and drive home on the 13th. I hope that arriving a few days late won't be a problem compared to the zoo last year. I want at the OSP site for the nights on the 12th and 13th for peek meteor showers. I will pack up on the 8th and drive half way up to the OSP after packing. It will us to work 2 days before the OSP and 3 days on the week after. We are backpacking on the 18th through Labor Day so I wanted to be available for work some of the days in August.

I bought a GMC 2500HD this winter. I am getting a Leer camper shell. The astronomy gear can stay in the back of the truck instead of in the trailer this year. It will be easier to use the trailer at the campground half way between home and OSP since it won't be full of astronomy gear this time. 

I won't miss the lasers, light pollution and crazy traffic from last years eclipse madness.

#6 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

I was going to get an old used 90s truck with a bed canopy. Can't keep abusing the family sedan. We'll see if I can swing it this year. Bunch of medical bills kinda put a kink in my plans.

#7 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:11 AM

This is my first truck at age 60. I have used Highlanders since 2008 to pull my 5x8 cargo trailer. I was probably over payload in my Highlander last year heading to the OSP with a weeks worth of water. My GMC has a payload of 2662 on the door sticker. I shouldn't have a problem this year.

I am fortunate I only drive the truck about 300 miles a month going to and from work. I fill it once a month. I will use it more once my Leer camper shell arrives and spring time astronomy is here.

Edited by JMW, 26 February 2018 - 12:14 AM.

#8 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

I remember you talking about the Highlander vs another SUV at the eclipse. Glad you got a good strong towing rig. Now you can get a bigger trailer lol.

#9 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

I hope to buy a 25 travel trailer in the next year. It will probably be after the OSP since I want to save up a significant portion of the purchase price. My Highlander payload is 1200 pounds to I needed to keep most of the weight in the 5x8 cargo trailer.

#10 Brandons1313

Brandons1313

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

Registration is now open... The OSP committee seem a bit disorganized this year... Hopefully everything is OK.

#11 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

Cool. I am now registered. I don't think there will be a crazy registration rush like last year.

I am excited. Meteor shower. No crazy nearby rave with laser lights. No overwhelming traffic crunch. Eclipse was great but the people crush was a pain.

I have a travel trailer for the first time. We have 11 days reserved off for the trip. Planning of doing extra stuff on the way up and back.

#12 RedshiftRob

RedshiftRob

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mill Creek, WA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:22 PM

I registered this morning just incase there's a little carryover from last year, but not very likely..   Now just waiting for the observing lists to be published so I can prepare my log sheets...

I'm guessing the delay really was due to negotiations with the food vendor..  Hopefully the prices don't go up too much...

-Stephen

#13 Winn

Winn

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:35 AM

Registered earlier today, also.  I'm going to say ouch now as I wasn't aware the food vendor situation wasn't resolved yet.  I saw the $0 for meals and, well, went a bit 'hog wild', thinking that cost was included with the registration fee.  Please don't beat me up too bad, this is only the second year of attending. I hope the final settlement is bearable.

But I'm heading out Sunday.  Do they allow entrance before the official start of the star party - Tuesday?  Or should I plan an overnight close by?

Regards,

Winn

Edited by Winn, 19 May 2018 - 12:47 AM.

#14 WadeH237

WadeH237

Gemini

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:04 AM

But I'm heading out Sunday.  Do they allow entrance before the official start of the star party - Tuesday?  Or should I plan an overnight close by?

OSP is held in the Ochoco National Forest.  The event has a site permit and has exclusive access during that time, but it's open outside of that.  You can head up to the site as early as you want, and you can stay as late as you want.  There will already be a fair number of people up there on Sunday before the event.

I'll be one of them, and if you arrive early, I would be happy to help you find a camp site that doesn't interfere with any of the star party infrastructure (although I think that most of the OSP stuff will be in place by then).

#15 Winn

Winn

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

OSP is held in the Ochoco National Forest.  The event has a site permit and has exclusive access during that time, but it's open outside of that.  You can head up to the site as early as you want, and you can stay as late as you want.  There will already be a fair number of people up there on Sunday before the event.

I'll be one of them, and if you arrive early, I would be happy to help you find a camp site that doesn't interfere with any of the star party infrastructure (although I think that most of the OSP stuff will be in place by then).

Thanks, Wade.  We'll be arriving sometime Monday, late morning/early afternoon.  Last year, we were squeezed in among the masses along the 802 loop.  Though we did enjoy being relatively close to most the activities, having a bit more elbow room would be appreciated.

#16 RedshiftRob

RedshiftRob

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mill Creek, WA

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

If you are arriving on Monday, you will be able to park just about anywhere you want.    I wasn't there last year to witness the spectacle, but I can't see it being nearly as crowded this year.   In past years I usually arrived on the Wednesday, and have had no problems finding a place.  I park about halfway down 800 after the 802 fork on the main field side (not astrophoto side), and while it does fill up, I wouldn't consider it crowded.  (or maybe it's just my snoring that keeps people away)

You will probably get the most elbow room parking on 800 before you get to all the food/vendor tents.

-Stephen

#17 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

I will probably come up on Sat the 4th.

#18 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:52 PM

Thanks, Wade.  We'll be arriving sometime Monday, late morning/early afternoon.  Last year, we were squeezed in among the masses along the 802 loop.  Though we did enjoy being relatively close to most the activities, having a bit more elbow room would be appreciated.

Stay up near the shower truck. You will have plenty of room. Also I learned last year that you can be up to 100’ back from the road.

#19 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

Last year I got there a day late due to all the traffic congestion and ended up next to the ice truck. Not a bad site, but kinda noisy lol. The astrophotography area seems to have the best cell tower signal. I might have a rudimentary AP setup by then and could stake a claim to a spot there. I registered light this year. Just got a spot and some ice.

#20 sandy_gazer

sandy_gazer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cloudsville, OR

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:24 PM

Is this something the general public can just show up to? Is that a thing? I don't want to camp or anything, just drive over in the afternoon for one night max. Do I still need a "spot" and all that jazz? Is there a general area I can park and just sit in my lawn chair with my binocs? Walk around and look at stuff? I can't really make a commitment for a registration for a week or whatever it is. I'd have to decide at the last minute. It's only a couple hours from here. 

#21 WadeH237

WadeH237

Gemini

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

You can show up and register on site, assuming that they don't hit the forest service attendance limit (which the probably won't).

Unfortunately as far as I know, registration is required, even for one night.

#22 sandy_gazer

sandy_gazer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:44 PM

Unfortunately, that's kinda what I was assuming.

I was wanting to get an idea what it's like and what goes on, never been to anything like that.

#23 WadeH237

WadeH237

Gemini

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

Unfortunately, that's kinda what I was assuming.

I was wanting to get an idea what it's like and what goes on, never been to anything like that.

If you are willing to go further south, Golden State Star Party has a public night where you would be welcome to do exactly as you describe, with no registration required.

This year's public night at GSSP is on Friday, July 13.  It is very close to Adin, CA, about 90 miles south of Klamath Falls.

• ctcables likes this

#24 sandy_gazer

sandy_gazer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:38 AM

Well, no, but thank you.

It's cool that they do that though. Good idea.

#25 sandy_gazer

sandy_gazer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

Online registration is closed. Price has now doubled.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, binoculars, observatory, observing, outreach, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics