•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount Parked Half Way Through Sequence?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jbro1985

Jbro1985

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:02 AM

Hi there,

Wondered if anyone else had this issue?  I have an AZ-EQ6 GT.  I run SGPro and EQMod and guide through PHD2.  I centralise targets via Framing and Mosaic wizard and use platesolve rather than a stelarium so I don't think there are any other softwares that may affect this.

Last night, after I had gone to get some sleep my mount parked itself, effectively bringing an end to the night's imaging, without my knowledge.  

I was imaging M51 and SGP had taken 142 60s subs at the time that it appears to have stopped.  It looks like the mount parked at about 1:52am when looking at the PHD2 Log File (can't see one for EQMOD or SGP).  My location is (approximately - I won't post exact location) 51 20 0.0 Latitude North and 00 42 0.0 Longitude West. 

I initially thought it could be a meridien flip issue (I'm fairly new and haven't tested meridien flips) but then looking at when M51 passed the meridian (about 3:20am per Sky Safari) it seems a way off.

In EQMOD, I have enabled Mount Limits by checking the box but I have not changed anything in the settings other than to check the auto meridian flip box.  In SGP, I have "Park when sequence completes" selected and "Use Meridian flip" selected.  In the meridian flip options I have Minutes past meridian as 3 and auto center after meridian flip selected.

I'm scratching my head a little here as I think the meridian flip is a red herring?  Is this possibly just a random cloud on a clear night that's jettisoned the guiding, making SGP give up and park the mount? 

Please note that the mount doesn't disconnect at any point, it seems to just show as parked and, it is parked precisely how it should be.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.  Not many clear nights around here so losing half the data to tech issues is frustrating.

All the best,

#2 ksouers

ksouers

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis (close enough)

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:58 AM

SGP logs are located at: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\SequenceGenerator under Win10, adjust as needed for other versions of Windoze.

You didn't accidentally have an end time set, did you? You can find it under the little gear thing in the target box for your sequence.

Kevin

#3 TimN

TimN

Gemini

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:38 AM

I have the same mount and use the same software that you do and SGP works well for me. Kevin has indicated where to find the SGP log and that will tell you what went wrong.

However, make sure that you have told SGP to try and recover if a cloud goes by etc. Under Tools go to Options and then to Sequence Options. Then under Sequence Recovery tick to Automatically Recover the Sequence. I set mine to try every 10 min for up to 90 min. This way when clouds go by SGP won't automatically stop and park the scope but will try to recover for the time indicated. 

• AstroCatinfo likes this

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:47 AM

Frimley?

Lots of passing cloud in Southampton last night. I lost my guide star early on but Im low tech so firecapture kept on running and grabbing frames.

#5 Jbro1985

Jbro1985

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

Not Frimley I'm afraid.  They were fairly approximate coordinates.

Thanks all.  I'll check out those things.

#6 Jbro1985

Jbro1985

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

Implimented the Sequence recovery option.  This was unticked so hopefully will come to the rescue in future.  

Looking at the log form, it was indeed PHD2 losing a star that threw the grenade.

#7 PhysicsStudent

PhysicsStudent

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland Ohio

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

If you lose your guide star because of clouds, or something like that SGP will park the mount and run the end of sequence options.

#8 AstroCatinfo

AstroCatinfo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Prades, Catalunya - Spain

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:16 PM

As said before, check the settings to see when SGP will stop guiding and park the scope. Several clouds may ruin the session if the settings are not fine tunned.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics