•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSO in the dawn

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BoY

BoY

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

I often got up early for a brief observing session. For example, this morning I went out in the yard at 5am, spent 1 hour outside, by 6am the sky was bright enough that Big Dipper began to fade away.

In that hour, I observed M60, M59 and M53. The globulars are always easier. Actually I don’t find much difference between the view in the dawn and the view in midnight. But surprisingly even M60 was equally easier.

Most of the time I just looked at planets. But what is your experience observing in the early morning? What are the best DSOs for you at that time?
  • Augustus likes this

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Viking 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:53 AM

I tend to get up a tad earlier.  This time of the year there are more Globs up in the AM than in the PM.  I like globs.  Cant look at just one of them.     Galaxies too, but peek at them in the PM too.

jd

#3 jcj380

jcj380

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago 'burbs. Bortle 7-8

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

I wrestle with late evening versus early morning observing.  I *think* I still prefer early AM since nobody is around and most "optional" lights are off - about 4 AM to 5 AM.

I had my most productive run observing winter stuff in Auriga, Gemini, Taurus and Orion in the fall.

Right now Sco and Sag are up early but are largely blocked by some inconvenient trees.

#4 jcj380

jcj380

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago 'burbs. Bortle 7-8

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Update - I caught the Lagoon and finally found M4 before sunrise on Sunday, plus M6, Mars and Saturn.  Again, the lack of lights from neighbors, etc. was quite noticeable.

Last time I went out before midnight, I stayed out too long and was zeroed out at work the next day, so I do think early AM will work better for me.

#5 BoY

BoY

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:28 AM

I also choose my observation time according to moon phase. When moon is in waxing phase, it rises high in the evening, but sets before dawn. so I prefer observing in the morning. When it enters waning phase, it sets after sunrise, but rises later and later, I prefer observing in the evening.
  • jcj380 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics