•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to determine camera spacing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tneutgens

tneutgens

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

I'm trying to figure out if there is a formula that I need to use or what to determine if I need any sort of spacers to achieve good focus with my new setup.  

I recently acquired a ZWO ASI1600MC Pro and an Explore Scientific ED102CF. 

Clearly this brought in the clouds and snow so I haven't been able to get it outside yet so I'm trying to determine if I need anything other than the 21mm spacer it came with to use it successfully.  If anyone can point me in the right direction I'll gladly try and work it out myself but I'm not even sure where to start.

Thanks,

Trent

#2 CharlesW

CharlesW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

Since you aren’t using a flattener or reducer yet, attach a nosepiece to the camera that will fit in the focuser drawtube, point at the Moon, and bring the scope into focus. If you rack the focuser all the way out and focus is getting better but not quite there, add an extension tube to the camera and start again. Camera spacing doesn’t matter in your case yet, only being in focus. 

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

If you are not using a focal reducer with the scope, just attach the camera to the scope and focus it. No particular spacing is required for refractors. I'm sure that there is an exception lurking out there but generally that's true. What you should do, though, is buy a spacer so that the focuser is no more than 25 percent racked out. That should keep it from sagging. If you have an FR then you need to specify which one and figure out how far from the chip that the camera needs to be. Still, the same idea around how far out it's best to keep the focuser applies.

Rgrds-Ross

#4 tneutgens

tneutgens

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the responses.  I do not have a flattener or reducer yet but I plan on one eventually.  I will cross that bridge when I get to it.  

Appreciate it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics