•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

are metal detectors useful for identifying space rocks, etc?

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gasgiant

gasgiant

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

I've been looking into metal detectors and saw some under $100 at Harbor Freight Tools. There's some at Sears too. I don't really know what specs to look for other than "get the most expensive stuff and you'll get what you pay for". I won't do that yet til I know what I can use a metal detector for, if anyone here has ever use them at all?

#2 Mark326

Mark326

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

Well depending on how much you wish to invest in the metal detector hobby, your budget can vary wildly as with most hobbies.   

The less expensive models basically use same technology as higher end models but with less features such as item discrimination modes, water proofing, depth of detection, etc...

with that said the harbor frieght, sears or less expensive models are capable enough to detect metal in rocks such as a meteorite fragments, of course many rocks native right here on earth contain metal as well example iron ore. Would be inexpensive entry point to try out the hobby.

Metal detecting can be a fun hobby.  TreasureNet.com is a good source of forums to ask and get answers from many experienced "treasure" hunters and I recall there is a specialty forum for meteorite hunters as well.  

• gasgiant likes this

#3 nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

Most metal detectors are ok at detecting a piece of metal an inch or two deep. Cheap ones won't discriminate between various metals though, so you're likely to be digging up bottle caps, chewing gum wrappers, aluminum cans, or other worthless trash. Cheap ones won't penetrate deeply and they can be fooled by moisture in the soil or even differing soil types.

Mine's not expensive but it works well for the money, it's a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter 2 which I've had maybe 10 or 12 years.  I put the 4 inch coil on it to tighten up my search area, to keep from digging giant holes in search of stuff.  Haven't found anything of value yet though...

• gasgiant likes this

#4 gasgiant

gasgiant

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:51 PM

I'm sure getting a "guide" as to where to "treasure hunt" will be a lot more fun than just my backyard. I think usually those "historic sites" are off limits though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics