•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASCOM iOptron Commander does not recongnize iOptron IEQ45-Pro Mount

equipment eq mount
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Montanaman

Montanaman

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

Greetings:

I need your kind assistance, please.

I recently acquired an IOptron IEQ45-Pro Mount. The mount's # 8407 hand controller is connected to a laptop computer via an RS232/USB2 cable.

I followed the instructions to download and install both the ASCOM Platform 6.3 and the iOptron Commander and Drivers (all most recent versions).

I am running the software on an HP laptop running Windows 10.

When trying to connect the mount using the iOptron Commander, I keep getting this error message: "Cannot find any iOptron supported devices"

I ran the ASCOM diagnostics tool and produced a log.  However, I am unable to decipher anything useful out of the log.

Perhaps someone out there has experience with analyzing the information in the diagnostic log.  If so, I will be glad to send it to anyone who can help with this for review.

Would appreciate any help so I can get things up and running.

By the way, I also sent this same help message to the ASCOM-talk group on Yahoo, but so far no one has responded. 

So I thought that I might find some help here amongst CNers familiar with ASCOM and this iOptron mount.

Thanks.

Bill in Montana

• Real14 likes this

#2 Real14

Real14

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Luis Potosi, Mexico

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

Greetings:

I recently acquired an IOptron IEQ45-Pro Mount. The mount's # 8407 hand controller is connected to a laptop computer via an RS232/USB2 cable.

I followed the instructions to download and install both the ASCOM Platform 6.3 and the iOptron Commander and Drivers (all most recent versions).

When trying to connect the mount using the iOptron Commander, I keep getting this error message: "Cannot find any iOptron supported devices"

I ran the ASCOM diagnostics tool and produced a log.  However, I am unable to decipher anything useful out of the log.

Perhaps someone out there has experience with analyzing the information in the diagnostic log.  If so, I will be glad to send it to anyone who can help with this for review.

By the way, I also sent this same help message to the ASCOM-talk group on Yahoo, but so far no one has responded. 

So I thought that I might find some help here amongst CNers familiar with ASCOM and this iOptron mount.

Thanks.

Bill in Montana

Hi,

Some users here have reported that there are sometimes issues with the USB to RS232 adapters due to the Chipset.

Looks like the best chipset is from FTDI if I remember well. 

What brand USB / RS232 adapter do you have ?

https://www.cloudyni...di#entry7900746

Rainer

Edited by Real14, 23 February 2018 - 04:26 PM.

• okiedrifter and psandelle like this

#3 gotak

gotak

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

First thing to do is check if your USB to serial dongle is recognized by the computer.

Secondly, where did you plug the serial cable into the mount at? It should be the port on the mount itself that's labeled RS232 rather than the the port on the hand controller. 

• psandelle and Szumi like this

#4 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

• Loc: NY

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

Greetings:

Thanks.

Bill in Montana

Cable goes to the RS232 port on the mount not to the hand controller. Made the same mistake on my CEM60

Edited by AntMan1, 23 February 2018 - 06:42 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#5 Montanaman

Montanaman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

Hi Rainer and gotak:

Thanks for the respective responses.  They are appreciated.

1.  I have 2 USB /RS232 adapters - one came from my ZEQ 25-GT mount and worked flawlessly with that mount.  It is a generic unit from China.  The second adapter came with the IEQ 45-Pro, which was purchased used. It is generic from Taiwan.   I tried connecting each successively to the hand controller and both do not work resulting in the same error message.

By the way, I decided after posting my distress call to purchase the adapter offered by iOptron - their product number 8435.   

2.  I tried plugging the adapter into the RS232 port on the mount instead of the hand controller.  Same error message as before.  

3.  (gotak)  How do I determine if the USB serial dongle is recognized by the computer - please elaborate on this.

Thanks!

Bill

#6 gotak

gotak

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:48 PM

Hi Rainer and gotak:

Thanks for the respective responses. They are appreciated.

1. I have 2 USB /RS232 adapters - one came from my ZEQ 25-GT mount and worked flawlessly with that mount. It is a generic unit from China. The second adapter came with the IEQ 45-Pro, which was purchased used. It is generic from Taiwan. I tried connecting each successively to the hand controller and both do not work resulting in the same error message.

By the way, I decided after posting my distress call to purchase the adapter offered by iOptron - their product number 8435.

2. I tried plugging the adapter into the RS232 port on the mount instead of the hand controller. Same error message as before.

3. (gotak) How do I determine if the USB serial dongle is recognized by the computer - please elaborate on this.

Thanks!

Bill

Check your device manager. It should show a com port, assuming your existing computer doesn't have a physical port already. Most new laptops don't.

Another problem could be the iOptron Commander can't figure out the port. If you can see a com port appears in your device manager when you plug the USB dongle in it should say comX where X is a number. You can try telling the iOptron Commander the specific port to see if it works that way.

#7 Montanaman

Montanaman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:49 PM

Hi All:

I thought that I would give all who commented on this topic a current update.

But, before getting to that, I wanted to let everyone of interest know that an appeal for help with this problem that was directed to the ASCOM-Talk user group on Yahoo never even received a single response.  Unfortunately, no help was forthcoming from that source.  I do not know why they were so unresponsive.  

On the other hand, in addition to the the kind assistance received from CNers here, I received almost immediate and excellent help from iOptron's Customer Service Department.   They were most responsive and helpful.   Their help is greatly appreciated - Cudos to iOptron!

Now for the update:

I have two (2) laptop computers - a HP 6730s running WIN 10 and a Dell Inspiron 6400 running WIN XP Professional (but not connected to the Internet since Microsoft stopped supporting that operating system).  I also use a RS232-USB converter to connect the mount to both computers.  The converter I use is exactly the same converter that I successfully used with my iOptron ZEQ25-GT mount and that worked flawlessly over time.   It was a unit with chipset recommended by iOptron in the ZEQ25 manual.  It came with a software disc with the appropriate drivers. 

After experiencing a continuing string of failures to connect the IEQ45-PRO mount to the HP 6730s laptop running WIN 10, I decided to switch over to the Dell laptop running XP as it was used in the past to successfully connect with my iOptron ZEQ25-GT mount under the ASCOM platform.   One thing I picked up from reading other posts on similar problems + a single line item in the IEQ45-PRO manual is that the mount has to have the latest version of firmware installed.  I checked the existing firmware version in the menu on the hand controller/paddle and realized that the firmware needed to be updated.   Due to the fact that I had used the Dell laptop in the past to upgrade the firmware for the ZEQ25-GT mount via its hand controller connected to a desktop computer running WIN8.1 & the existing RS232-USB converter, I felt that maybe, just maybe, I might be able to accomplish this same task with the IEQ45-PRO mount.   Now, due to the fact that the Dell laptop is not connected to the Internet, I downloaded the current firmware files+ iOptron's Firmware Update Utility using the HP Laptop and then transferred the respective files to the Dell laptop via a USB stick.   

One thing about WIN XP is that, besides being one of the more stable operating systems ever developed by Microsoft, one can go to the device manager and quickly find the COM (Ports & LPT) feature and find the number of the COM port to which the RS232-USB is connected.   In this case it was COM6.   I was then able to open the Firmware Update Utility, select the firmware file for the hand controller, the main board, and the RA & Dec Boards, respectively, select the correct COM port and upload the firmware.   Success!   I was able to confirm that the mount's firmware was successfully updated to the most recent version.  

With the latest version of the ASCOM platform and iOptron's Commander loaded onto the Dell laptop, I opened the iOptron Commander and selected COM6.   Same error message as before - no connection.   However, I soon realized that I had connected the RS232-USB connector to the hand controller and not to the RS232 port on the mount as was recommended by AntMan1 and by iOptron's Customer Service Tech.  After making the right connection, i.e., the RS232 port on the mount, and then opening iOptron Commander, selecting COM6 - Walla!  Connection confirmed.  It was a pleasure to see the mount react as I controlled it using the command console on the computer.

So, I am back in business!   As I did in the past with the iOptron ZEQ25-GT - I run 2 laptops side by side - the DELL XP runs my Carts du Ciel software and Phd2 for autoguiding and the HP with WIN10 is used for image acquisition with a QHY 183C Camera and Nebulosity 4.1 as my image acquisition software. 

At this time I am still not able to make all this work with the HP computer running WIN10.  The main problem with doing the same with WIN10 on the HP laptop is that WIN 10, for some odd reason known only by MICROSOFT itself, does not have the COM (Ports and LPT) feature in its device manager.   In order to get that feature, the user has to create virtual COM ports - not an easy chore for most computer users.

After many days of research on the internet, I was finally able to create a communication port within the device manager in WIN 10.   However, even after doing that, the HP computer still does not connect to the mount via the iOptron Commander software.  I keep getting error messages (as noted in previous Emails).  Changing the COM numbers does not help and I have been up and down the list several times. 

iOptron considers this to be a mystery since they can make the appropriate connections in WIN10.   I am still working with them to try to resolve this issue.  If we succeed, I will publish another update here.

Thanks for all the help and advice received here.   I hope this experience will help others who may have the same problem.  

Bill in Montana

• timmbottoni and AntMan1 like this

#8 Szumi

Szumi

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: NLP, Michigan

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

Hi Rainer and gotak:

Thanks for the respective responses.  They are appreciated.

1.  I have 2 USB /RS232 adapters - one came from my ZEQ 25-GT mount and worked flawlessly with that mount.  It is a generic unit from China.  The second adapter came with the IEQ 45-Pro, which was purchased used. It is generic from Taiwan.   I tried connecting each successively to the hand controller and both do not work resulting in the same error message.

2.  I tried plugging the adapter into the RS232 port on the mount instead of the hand controller.  Same error message as before.  

3.  (gotak)  How do I determine if the USB serial dongle is recognized by the computer - please elaborate on this.

Thanks!

Bill

Device Manager.

#9 gotak

gotak

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:22 PM

The usb dongle should just work in windows 10 you shouldn't have to create a com port manually.

This appears to indicate your serial dongle and win 10 have some compatibility issue, or drivers are not installed

#10 Real14

Real14

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Luis Potosi, Mexico

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:10 PM

Hi,

I just read the whole thread again. I also have an Win 10 laptop and sometimes it does not find some USB connections. A friend directed me to the program USBoblivion. This free program cleans up all past connections on the USB ports.

Just be sure to disconnect all memory sticks before cleaning. Perhaps this helps when reconnecting all your devices again. Sometimes Win 10mcan be quite stubborn.

Rainer

Edited by Real14, 02 March 2018 - 11:11 PM.

#11 Newfie Stargazer

Newfie Stargazer

Vostok 1

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:47 AM

I have had on several occasions an issue where the RS232-USB converter failed in Win 10 Device Manager.  Don't know if this is your issue, but have a look here:

http://www.totalcard...o-code-10-error

Works for me every time.

Edited by Newfie Stargazer, 03 March 2018 - 06:50 AM.

#12 Montanaman

Montanaman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

Hi Newfie Stargazer, et.al:

As a further update, I purchased a new doggle from iOptron (Part #8435).  They have supposedly tested this unit with their IEQ PRO-45 mounts.  It came with a disc with drivers, which I installed on my HP laptop running WIN 10. 

I plugged the new doggle into my laptop and started iOptron Commander.  The same error message appeared:  "Cannot find any iOptron supported devices"

I then downloaded the program recommended by Newfie Stargazer in this post above and followed the recommended steps exactly.  Unfortunately, I still get the same error message from iOptron Commander.

So, unfortunately, the recommended program did not fix the problem.  

Furthermore, the new device does not show up under COM (Ports & LPT) in device manager in WIN10.  This is a real mystery.

So, bottom line, I will give up for now on trying to get the connection to the mount in WIN 10. 

As noted in my previous post, it works great with XP and so I will work with that using the other laptop.

If any others have any brilliant ideas on how to fix this, I am certainly open to trying it out down the line.

In the meantime, thanks for all the advice and kind assistance related to date.

Bill

#13 Newfie Stargazer

Newfie Stargazer

Vostok 1

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

Montanaman,

Did you try it with your older RS232-USB converter as well as the new one you purchased from iOptron?

Jim

#14 fmeschia

fmeschia

Viking 1

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

As someone else suggested, what firmware version is installed in your mount? It needs to be compatible with the version of your ASCOM driver.

Francesco

#15 Montanaman

Montanaman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:20 PM

As someone else suggested, what firmware version is installed in your mount? It needs to be compatible with the version of your ASCOM driver.

Francesco

Hi Francesco: 

The current firmware version has been installed in both the mount and the hand controller.  Still connection in WIN 10 is not possible.  Connection in XP was obtained after the firmware was upgraded to the current version.  The mystery with WIN 10 continues.  

Bill

• Gary Z likes this

#16 fmeschia

fmeschia

Viking 1

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:20 AM

There was an update issued by Microsoft for Windows 10 in early January that broke some ASCOM drivers. I haven't followed much as I don't use Windows, but maybe that's what causing your issue. A thread in which this is discussed here: https://www.cloudyni...hl= windows 10

Hope this helps,

Francesco

#17 Arie

Arie

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:35 AM

I never had a problem with my Ieq45Pro on a Win10 machine.

Also not with the infamous WinUpdate from January.

If you have a proper converter and properly installed the driver for this, you should get something like this.

You see that the mount isn't connected . Actually I don't have anymore, but I liked it a lot.

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

The pics aren't very sharp, but you'll understand what you are looking at.

In this case a COM3 port is autmatically created by the driver.

Ioptron Commander recognizes this, as you can see.

The device shows up with the name Chipi-X. That is the converter.

If you now connect to the RS232 port on the mount AND switch on the mount (nothing personal, but it happened to me.....), the connection should be there.

The RS232 port on the HC is only used for upgrading it's firmware.

I know it is a bit confusing, cause the ZEQ25 has only one port, if I remember correctly, and that is indeed on the handset.

Arie

Edited by Arie, 11 March 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#18 View2

View2

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Vancouver, WA USA

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:19 PM

Do you have the 2018 ver. Of iOptron commander? Need that too! I use the 45pro too. If Commander doesn't find it on com 3 Select Auto?

Edited by View2, 28 April 2018 - 11:22 PM.

#19 View2

View2

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Vancouver, WA USA

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:23 PM

I know the manual in the website say you can control this Mount through the hand controller with the use of a PC. Ignore that.

#20 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:54 PM

Has there been any updates to this issue.  Has anyone connected their pc to laptop and used commander using the starfi  WiFi adapter.  I’m to receive a proper cable to connect my ieq45pro to the laptop, but was hoping to se the starfi.  Starfi will connect to my iPad.

#21 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:44 PM

UPDATE:  Yep, updated the firmware in the mount (my first time doing this and it was actually easy, thanks to CN!).  Now, Star FI connects to my laptop and more importantly, Ioptron Commander.  I just need some decent weather to give it a run thru.

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, eq, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics