•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What are you looking at tonight?

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#1 dgordontx

dgordontx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central, TX

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

A thread for users to post what they plan on looking at tonight or what they looked at last night. Just a general conversation starter. If you want to put what equipment you used, your time, location, or pics, feel free.

I'll start: Depends on what "partly cloudy" means. If i can have clear skies I'll check out the moon and then use the rest of the night to see what I can see and take notes to narrow down for filtering on dso-browser.

• SeaBee1 and aeajr like this

#2 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:40 PM

Clouds, solid thick sheets of them with some intermittent thunder and, last night, > 2" of rain. More of the same tonight. But we need the rain.

There's a predicted break Sunday night but I'm having a dinner party. But since it's my party we may all end up in the driveway looking at the moon.

• Mike G., happylimpet, Kimbo_2112 and 4 others like this

#3 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

Rain. Sunday night looks promising, I'll get back with you if clouds part.

#4 rocco13

rocco13

Got Milk?

• Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

If these clouds blow away, I'll resume my pursuit of nabbing as many Open Clusters as I can. Starting in Cassiopeia, I work my way down through Perseus, then to Auriga and into Gemini. That'll keep me busy for a while.

I'd read your original query in the Beginner's Forum. A suggestion would be to pick a constellation, and try to observe objects in that one alone one night. Another might be select a type of object, say galaxies, and using your chart or atlas plan a route across the sky that takes in as many of those as you can get to.

Or do what I do most nights...just wing it. I know the night sky well enough to remember which prominent objects are visible, and sometimes just spending an evening with these familiar old friends is all I need to have an enjoyable session.

• SeaBee1, Kid_A and dgordontx like this

#5 bobito

bobito

Apollo

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Cloudy all weekend for me, but this time of year the top of my list is Andromeda, Double Cluster, Pleiades, and Orion Nebula.  So if I were going out tonight I'd definitely hit those.

#6 ayryq

ayryq

Vostok 1

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

Clouds here too, though thankfully no rain. The St. Joseph river is starting to go back down and everyone is hard at work salvaging their basements, and for some people their cars and homes. I'd like to officially apologize to my flood-struck region: I bought two new eyepieces... I should have known better.

• Cpk133 and SeaBee1 like this

#7 junomike

junomike

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

Clouds with patches of Rain and Snow.......most likely till mid-March........:(

#8 cosmic wind

cosmic wind

Sputnik

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

Rain and snow here in NY.

#9 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:24 PM

Snow clouds coming in from the north.  I think winder has finally arrived in Northern Arizona.

#10 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:29 PM

Cloudy all weekend here in Hillsboro NH

#11 Foundationer

Foundationer

Sputnik

• Loc: Central US

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

I'm gonna be looking at the back of my eyelids, clouds, snow coming.frown.gif

Otherwise, moon is good tonight. M42 of course! Lotsa good dso's, but alas....

Respect Mi Breddas

#12 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

Many members here in North central Texas have been clouded out for so long our scopes are rusting...

BUT... Sunday/Monday do look promising... and my granddaughter, the best observing buddy on the planet, informed me a little while ago that the High School Astronomy Club is setting up Monday night at her school for an outreach session and I have been invited! If the weather guessers get this one right, gonna be a GOOD weekend! I'll post the results!

Clear DARK skies!

CB

• Kimbo_2112, Kid_A and DonnieBe like this

#13 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

Cloudy and cold tonight, and still in a sling from rotator surgery....so tonight is a TV night.  We did run to the popcorn store at the mall and bought a big bag of caramel corn...Yum!

#14 JawZziff

JawZziff

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, Canada

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:57 PM

No opportunity to take my gear out. Busy with homework. But it's been clear lately so I've been enjoying the evening Moon whenever I get the chance.

#15 Feidb

Feidb

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:17 PM

This forum on Cloudy Nights.

#16 PMan61

PMan61

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

Another North Texan(DFW) tired of this weather.  Thankfully limited ice & snow this year.  Just lots of cold rain & clouds. 

Nothing visible in the last few weeks. 

• Kimbo_2112 and SeaBee1 like this

#17 aeajr

aeajr

Cosmos

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:25 AM

I expect to have nothing but clouds and rain all weekend.

#18 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Ranger 4

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:57 AM

I'm looking at clouds, clouds, and more clouds, as I have been for most of the winter, but......the weather forecast seems to indicate a good chance for clear skies Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights.  Fingers crossed!  If so, I'm hoping to get some nice views of Orion and Canis Major while they're still optimally positioned in my sky.

#19 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

Saul GoodMan season 3. 

• Foundationer likes this

#20 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:13 AM

The last bunch of times I've been out, I have been mainly re-observing objects that I plan to write up for a Sky & Telescope article. I'm basically tracing near the Dec +60 line from RA 0 to a little past RA 4. One of the very best stretches of sky for small-scope and urban observers, including the Double Cluster, which might just be my very favorite object in the entire sky. Another highlight is NGC 1502 in Camelopardalis, an often-neglected jewel of an open cluster.

I'm also working on observing all the objects shown on Deep Map 600 with small scopes. Last time I was out, I was working through Gemini. Also a very fine part of the sky.

• rocco13, REC and adlibitum like this

#21 MP173

MP173

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

I have my next session planned, but have no idea when that will occur due to big clouds and then big moon.  

The focus will be on the western shield portion of Orion as it will be favorably placed in my viewing area and near meridian.  

Target star will be pi3, the brightest star in the shield and then attempt to see 10 doubles in the area including:

STF 612, STTA 55 STF 627, STF 630, STF622, S 457, STF583 and STTA 53 (same FOV possibly), STF 517, SF 510 and Mintaka.

STF 622 will be tight (2.6" separation) but is a near matched double (8.5/8.6 mag).  

If I can outside this will be a rewarding session.

No doubt I will add a little M42 at the end.

Ed

#22 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

The last bunch of times I've been out, I have been mainly re-observing objects that I plan to write up for a Sky & Telescope article. I'm basically tracing near the Dec +60 line from RA 0 to a little past RA 4. One of the very best stretches of sky for small-scope and urban observers, including the Double Cluster, which might just be my very favorite object in the entire sky. Another highlight is NGC 1502 in Camelopardalis, an often-neglected jewel of an open cluster.

I'm also working on observing all the objects shown on Deep Map 600 with small scopes. Last time I was out, I was working through Gemini. Also a very fine part of the sky.

I don't think I remember seeing NGC 1502 before? I have spent a lot of time observing the OC in and around Auriga as I love those! DC is one of my all time favorites. Never get tired of looking at it. One of the most amazing view of it was in my 10" Dob using a Denk BV with 3-D eyepieces! I could see depth in it. If somoene in your club ect. has a pair, try to have a look through some time.

#23 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

Had a fairly clear, calm 60* night yesterday and was observing the 1st. qtr. moon a lot. Underneath it was Orion, so spent some time there on the belt looking at doubles, ect. M42 was just ok because of the bright moon nearby and was improved some with a UHC filter. Looking at the Trap, but could not make out the E star with my C102 at 100x.

Cloudy all weekend here in NC.

#24 grif 678

grif 678

Viking 1

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:36 PM

Fog, clouds, everything but clear skies, as usual forever it seems.

#25 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

It may clear up here on Sunday night, in which case, for the sake of this thread ( wink.gif ), I'll pull one of my Dobs out of the garage and observe the 79%-illuminated waxing gibbous Moon and a few bright binary stars and deep-sky objects.

https://www.space.co...9-day-moon.html

http://www.stargazin...y09h20moon.html

Dave Mitsky

• jrbarnett and SeaBee1 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics