•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What are you looking at tonight?

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#176 grif 678

grif 678

Viking 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

Unless I want to sit out in the rain, I will just keep watching Andy Griffith like I have for many nights the last year

#177 treadmarks

treadmarks

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

I had a great observation session looking at Jupiter with my 120 mm refractor. Although transparency was below average, seeing was excellent. I could see a number of lesser bands and a lot of detail in the structure of the major bands. Observed GRS moving from the eastern edge almost all the way to the western edge.

Yes, watching the GRS move across the face was one of the highlights. I observed Jupiter for nearly 2 hours, it was nearly centered at the start, and it was pretty far to the west by the end. Sitting out in your backyard and just watching a planet rotate is one of astronomy's little pleasures, for sure.

#178 dgordontx

dgordontx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central, TX

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

Finally had my first clear night with Saturn rising at a decent time and it was well worth the wait. I was afraid I would not be able to see the separation of rings from the planet but, I could. Barely made out the separation at x108 but putting the Barlow on made it clear. My 3 year old and 2x 17 yr olds got the experience at a way younger age than I did and were pretty impressed too. After that I went cluster hunting to see what I can see. Many were too faint to see very well and got put in my "bigger scope" observing list. A 5.5 mag cluster at 30 degrees altitude is not nearly as visible as a 5.8 cluster at 60 degrees. Of course, all of my neighbors having their porch lights on didn't help much either.

#179 wky46

wky46

Vanguard

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

Pretty good skies so far. Neighbor about 1/4 mike away decided to burn something right when I was setting up and the smoke was heavy, black and impeding somewhat my view, south. It looks to be abating now, thank goodness.

The collimation on my SCT is still spot on since last using it September. Might have to experiment with some higher powers using the Barlow. I’m still waiting on my 2” EP dew strap and so the 32mm Plossl and 17mm will both be getting a workout tonight on Jupiter.

Here I go! cool.gif

Welp, beautifully clear and kinda steady night. But alas.... heavy dew

My dew shield had been creased somehow and was not making a good seal. Plus, it was slightly impeding the light path. Tinkered with that off and on.....

OTA dew strap worked it’s way down while messing with the shield and dew formed on the lens. Had to hunt up my surge protector and hair dryer......

Wire came loose from 20 yr old 1 1/4” EP strap.....

Noticed a little mold growing on the far edge inside the corrector ....mad.gif

Wasn’t a complete loss

Did get some occasionally beautiful glimpses of Jupiter, The Sombrero, Beehive 

Edited by wky46, 06 June 2018 - 09:05 AM.

#180 Jond105

Jond105

Ranger 4

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:18 PM

Conditions were near perfect tonight in SE Michigan. Could see the GRS in Jupiter for the 1st time in forever in the SW100ED.
  • Mountaineer370 likes this

#181 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Ranger 4

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:14 AM

Conditions were near perfect tonight in SE Michigan. Could see the GRS in Jupiter for the 1st time in forever in the SW100ED.

It was a beautiful night, wasn't it!  I'm also in SE Michigan and finally got out for a pleasant observing session last night.  The weather cooperated, the bugs cooperated (by mostly staying away.)  I surprised myself at how much I was able to find just using my very rusty starhopping skills with the TV-85 and a red dot finder.  I didn't stay up real late, just late enough to get my first glimpse of Saturn this season, but it was satisfying.

• Jond105 likes this

#182 Jond105

Jond105

Ranger 4

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:33 AM

It was a beautiful night, wasn't it!  I'm also in SE Michigan and finally got out for a pleasant observing session last night.  The weather cooperated, the bugs cooperated (by mostly staying away.)  I surprised myself at how much I was able to find just using my very rusty starhopping skills with the TV-85 and a red dot finder.  I didn't stay up real late, just late enough to get my first glimpse of Saturn this season, but it was satisfying.

I was able to push my telescope to 300x on Saturn with absolutely zero problems. I was up until I could get twenty minutes on mars. It was a perfect night. I got a lot of time out of my 32mm Q70 and took in a lot of time at wide view star fields. It's been a while since we've had those conditions. Glad someone else was able to get time in

#183 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Vostok 1

• Loc: North/West of Pittsburgh PA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:32 PM

It was a beautiful night, wasn't it! <snip>

<snip>. It's been a while since we've had those conditions. Glad someone else was able to get time in

I'm hoping some of those great conditions blow down this way.   Last night severe storms and tornado warnings.    Night is looking pretty darned nice... Hope it's what you guys got, and is as nice.   

It has been a while since we had even halfway decent observing conditions...

#184 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Ranger 4

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:02 PM

I'm hoping some of those great conditions blow down this way.   Last night severe storms and tornado warnings.    Night is looking pretty darned nice... Hope it's what you guys got, and is as nice.   

It has been a while since we had even halfway decent observing conditions...

I did hear about the storms and tornadoes in Pennsylvania.  Sending good wishes your way that the worst of it is over, and skies will be clearing!

#185 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Vostok 1

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

I did hear about the storms and tornadoes in Pennsylvania.  Sending good wishes your way that the worst of it is over, and skies will be clearing!

That was on the other end of the state.  We had the warnings,but it amounted nothing more than some heavy spotty rain.

But the clear deep blue skies we had all day are yielding to a lot of high thin cirrus clouds.   Hope they blow out of here by dark.  On the way home from work I could see WAY down the Ohio river, clear as a bell, as I crossed it, so that's a good sign .

Planning on having some friends over to observe.  They really haven't looked through a scope before; hope the high thin stuff blow out of here by dark.

• Jond105 likes this

#186 Jond105

Jond105

Ranger 4

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:32 PM

Planning on having some friends over to observe.  They really haven't looked through a scope before; hope the high thin stuff blow out of here by dark.

Good luck tonight. Hope the sky works out for you and your friends. Our sky certainly is nothing like it was last night. Still clear, but no deep blue like yesterday. 

#187 mich_al

mich_al

Aurora

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

&nbsp;

I was able to push my telescope to 300x on Saturn with absolutely zero problems. I was up until I could get twenty minutes on mars. It was a perfect night. I got a lot of time out of my 32mm Q70 and took in a lot of time at wide view star fields. It's been a while since we've had those conditions. Glad someone else was able to get time in

&nbsp;

I was out enjoying it too (near Jackson) but 300x was too much, struggled to get over 200x. Cooling the scope now but I see clouds.
  • Jond105 likes this

#188 Jond105

Jond105

Ranger 4

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:29 PM

Good luck to all of you tonight, as I will be heading into work, and I'm sorry for any clouds that come this weekend, I have a single axis drive for my mount coming tomorrow and a 13" dovetail for another OTA of mine coming Saturday. So it could be a horrible weekend in Michigan

#189 JonnyBravo

JonnyBravo

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Dededo, Guam

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:36 AM

https://giphy.com/gi...BGD4XaoPO3zTz9K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#190 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Vostok 1

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:07 AM

Good luck to all of you tonight, <snip> another OTA of mine coming Saturday. So it could be a horrible weekend in Michigan.

Well the clouds mostly cleared as it was getting dark.  Just a few stragglers we had to dodge early on.   Seeing wasn't anywhere near as good as you were describing, Stars never really were pinpoints even on lowest magnification.  Jupiter was swimming, with an occasional brief glimpse of OK viewing every time we looked.  I double checked culmination. 

Did get to snag a few DSOs though.   No real definition in any of them.   On a decent night, in my light polluted yard,  I can get at least some resolution to most of the larger clusters, and SLIGHT definition of most galaxies...not so last night.  All the adverted vision in the world didn't help.

We viewed in no particular order

In addition to Jupiter, M13, M92, M53, M3, M5, M10, M94, M51, M81, M82, M57, and a few double stars (which were hard to split as they were "fuzzy"

Other than Jupiter, the Ring Nebula seemed to elicit the most response from the guests which was a surprise to me as it was the smallest by far.  M13 and M5 weren't too far behind as being crowd favorites.  The Double stars got the least response from the crowd.

After the neighbors/friends went home, and my girlfriend went to bed, I snuck out and got a view of Saturn.  About as good as Jupiter quality of view wise, but still nice to see. 

Star party Saturday at a club field I have been trying to visit since I got back in the hobby.   They don't have a website so my only means of initial contact is the star party.  All the ones this year have been canceled due to weather, so I hope you keep the clouds you are bringing on to yourself wink.gif lol.gif

#191 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

Looks like it might be clear for NJ.  Looks like a shadow transit on Jupiter by Io begins at 9:30pm EDT, and the GRS transits at 10:54pm EDT.  My scope is still setup from last night, so, all I need to do is uncover and collimate and I'll be up and running.  My plan is to get out at around 9pm and set things up, watch the shadow transit start at around 9:30pm.  The GRS should start to become visible sometime after about 10pm so things should really start to get interesting.  Keeping my fingers crossed that the clouds don't move in...  fingerscrossed.gif

#192 Jond105

Jond105

Ranger 4

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:13 PM

Analogkid, glad you got some good viewing in, just want to say, that's what I do a lot. Once the wife falls asleep, I tend to find myself right back outside lol. And you're obviously more advanced than me. In those perfect conditions I still had so much trouble finding the ring Nebula. After an hour I gave up on it. Still learning, but that's my target for the month is getting that one off my list. Hope your conditions are better than ours this weekend. 99 degrees tomorrow. Conditions will be terrible 

#193 treadmarks

treadmarks

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:13 PM

With good seeing, GRS, and a shadow transit all in the forecast for tonight, I couldn't resist. And that was just Jupiter. Seeing Venus right above Luna was too tempting, so I biked the whole 8SE setup over to the nearest park for a clear horizon. Even with the #47 violet filter, Venus was kind of a bust. Looking at the Moon, it was obvious that the good seeing did not make up for the low altitude. This does not bode well for Mars.

So I brought the setup back home for a more leisurely session away from the drug-infused teens hanging around the park. Once home I also brought out the 4" refractor to test how it does in good seeing. Starting with the C8, I saw a fair amount of detail in Jupiter for the 4/5 conditions. I had forgot all about the shadow transit but it was unmistakable above the NEB.

Switching to the 4" refractor, it lost detail in the belts but I was still able to see quite a lot, more than I've ever seen in it thanks to the good seeing. I was still able to see the moon shadow and the GRS. The CA seemed more ruinous to the aesthetics than the details. Not as good as my other scopes but really a respectable performance for a $250 package.

• Jond105 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics