•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What are you looking at tonight?

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#201 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:34 PM

Jupiter and M4 in Scorpius in a vintage 60mm Carton f/17 achromat retrofitted with a 1.25" focuser.  Mainly to add some data to the thread on difficulties oberving M4 elsewhere in the forum.

- Jim

• jcj380 likes this

#202 jcj380

jcj380

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western 'burbs of Chicago. Bortle 7 "Pink" zone

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

Looking forward to hearing your report!

Storms have moved out, it's clear, and I'm taking a day off tomorrow, so I think it's back to Sagittarius globulars and thereabouts.  If it's not behind the house by the end of astronomical twilight, maybe another look for / at M4.

*** Update ***

The weather held and I was out from about 2200 to 0100.  M4 was still very low contrast, but I can find it pretty easily now that I know what to look for.

Didn't hit all the globs along the bottom of the teapot, but did get a couple others, M6, M7, and spent some time on the Trifid - a bit of neb visible with my Lumicon filter, and the Lagoon - fair amount of neb visible with the filter.  I could clearly distinguish the the two lobes and dark lane between them.

My Wixey went wacky or my iPhone app with realtime alt-az coords flipped out though around midnight - about a ten degree disagreement.  Spent the rest of the time checking coords and settings with a little time on Saturn and Mars.  More incentive to get a Nexus.  grin.gif

Edited by jcj380, 17 July 2018 - 08:38 AM.

• jrbarnett likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics