•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need a simple light pollution presentation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rbtparrish55

rbtparrish55

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: s.w. lower Michigan, USA

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:17 AM

I've searched this forum and also that of the IDA, and have not found a simple presentation to show the disadvantages of light pollution to my local village council. The IDA has a light pollution proposal, but if I were to hand out a 44-page presentation to council members representing a community of fewer than 1200 people, they would close off their minds before I uttered my first words.

I do agree with other posters who believe that appealing to emotions in addition to qualitative facts will increase impact. As stated elsewhere, most people are afraid of the dark, so additional lighting eases their fear. Most are not backyard astronomers, so the ability to better view the night sky is of little concern.

What I believe is needed is something to grab their attention and peak their initial interest. From there, a more complex presentation of facts and regulations can be introduced. 

If something like this already exists, point me in the right direction. In the meantime, I'll get to work.

Robert

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:55 AM

There is some useful guidance (brochures, video, etc.) on the Idaho Conservation League's webpage  https://www.idahocon...ight-pollution/  .  You could probably use some of their material to build your own presentation to suit.  There is a Central Idaho Dark Sky Reserve that implemented several measures to ensure success.  It's a very conservative part of the country, so if it can succeed THERE, it can succeed elsewhere.  You should contact them and get additional tips.   cool.gif   

#3 AXAF

AXAF

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: MA

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

I have a set of slides that I presented to my town lighting division several years ago. You are welcome to adapt my PowerPoint slides as you see fit to your needs:

LED Light Pollution Slides

If you download the slides, you will see that I put comments in the notes section of many

of them, especially to provide reference publications, etc.

In the end, my town still went with 4000 Kelvin LEDs.

Best of luck to you.

~Gary

Edited by AXAF, 25 February 2018 - 12:59 PM.

#4 Darkskyaz

Darkskyaz

Explorer 1

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

Here are a few suggestions:

IDA has some brochures that are clearly written and not very long. They also have a 6 minute video that you could put on your computer. Here is a link to that information:  http://www.darksky.o...each-materials/

It is also very effective to demonstrated unshielded and shielded lighting in a darkened room (doesn't have to be absolutely dark). I'll attempt to describe what I use. Unfortunately there is nothing professional on the market, so you have to make your own. 

First go to Home Depot and buy a lamp switch kit. This is nothing more than a socket to screw a lightbulb into with a cord attached. You can use any lightbulb you want to. I now use a 2700K LED light that equivalent to a 40 watt incandescent, and I always make the point that I'm only using a 40 watt equivalent bulb when I'm demonstrating the unshielded light. 

The next step is to create a shield that can slide up and down the cord. The shield is held upside down and away from the light to demonstrate unshielded light, then you hold the light by the cord and let the shield slide down to demonstrate shielded light. I made my shield out of poster board. I used white poster board for the interior of the shield, and black for the exterior. This combination makes sure that a maximum amount of light is reflected down during the shielded part of the demonstration. If you have a place to plug in the light then you are done after creating your shield. 

If you need to provide your own power source, then you need to add a 12v batter and a 12v-120v converter to your demonstration kit.   

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics