•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post a pic. of your observatory!

• Please log in to reply
1401 replies to this topic

#1401 Megiddo

Megiddo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

NorthStar Farms Observatory - Canton GA:

Explora-dome 8' on a 10x10 in my front pasture - completed this weekend after a year of on and off building.  Using my G-11 mount but, assuming I can get the results with this I want, plan on up-grading to AP-1600.  Foster systems setup - very buggy - but working through tweaking the numbers to see if it's worth keeping.  

Only issue I'm having so far is moisture under the floor, so I have to vent the brick base of the building somewhere - which sucks.

Other than that, after a year of total PITA work, comments very welcome! 

Link to build images and interior:  http://madmanrc.com/Observatory.html

Not only is that a top notch observatory... but your farm is gorgeous!   And I did see a mounting block as a temporary stair case.  ;)

#1402 morrisayoder

morrisayoder

Lift Off

• Loc: Middle GA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:56 PM

Thanks to all of you who've been posting pictures on this forum. It's given me lots of good ideas of how to put together a ROR observatory. Especially thanks to John Fitzgerald for his idea of having double doors in the front allowing a view to the horizon, even with a dobsonian telescope (scroll down after clicking the link for a picture of his setup). The design allows me to see any star in the sky visible from my latitude at some time of the year or other in spite of the walls.

A few details:

16'x26', includes a 6'x16' control room and 16'x 20' scope room

Roof powered by Aleko AR5750 rack and pinion gate motor

Climate controlled in both rooms for temperature, humidity, and mold control

Remote access with TeamViewer

For more pictures and observatory construction details follow this link

Observing site page and a little beginner's astrophotography follow this link

Attached Thumbnails

• Roll off roof.jpg
  • 20181029_184426.jpg
  • 20180906_122031.jpg
  • 20181029_184231.jpg
  • 20180823_150154.jpg
  • 20180823_153221.jpg

Edited by morrisayoder, 11 January 2019 - 11:00 PM.

• Cyrano, drprovi57, CCD-Freak and 10 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics