•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post a pic. of your observatory!

• Please log in to reply
1692 replies to this topic

#1626 mutairy

mutairy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 February 2021 - 12:42 PM

Yikes! I'm guessing that you image in narrowband wink.gif .

I happened to be in Abu Dhabi on National Day a few years ago. Quite an interesting experience (in a good way). It took us over an hour to get across town at 1:00 am. It's a fond memory that I won't forget.

Yes, mainly NB and planetary

during non moon weekends i go to the desert for shooting using my refractor.

• Scott123 likes this

#1627 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2021 - 10:31 AM

Made the mistake of installing the equipment

I had finished the final fit out 

It's working and now I can't be bothered doing 

All the fiddly bits.

I did exactly the same thing.  I got tired of building and wanted to be observing so I installed my mount and scope.  Five years later there are still things in my original plan unfinished.

• Scott123 and colroo1 like this

#1628 mutairy

mutairy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:23 AM

Hi Folks

im wondering if anyone has a PW 20 inch in a dome? if so is it a 3m or a 4m dome?

#1629 Star_Explorer

Star_Explorer

Sputnik

Posted 14 February 2021 - 09:20 AM

This is my roll off roof observatory. 

20210124_160041 (Large).jpg

• drprovi57, tjay, CCD-Freak and 13 others like this

#1630 adastragrl

adastragrl

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:46 PM

We are building a roll-top roof observatory on St Croix, USVI... Tree Frog Observatory...

Poured concrete construction... Not doing a pier. 

Since we are essentially building this remotely right now, we had to simplify things for the architect and builder who have never built an observatory. Getting the building roughly lined up N-S was a small hurdle. Trying to explain building piers, etc was too complicated and expensive. I work in a campus observatory and my telescope on the concrete pad works just fine.

We started off with purchased plans from Backyard Observatories. Sent those to the architect so that he could modify them for local code. Have been trying to get in touch with Scott about purchasing some of the hardware, but he ... Would have hired him to supervise, but he never responded, answered,...

Tree Frog Obs Construction

Other than Etelman Obs (located on St. Thomas), does anyone know of any other observatories (amateur) in the USVI? (Yes, I'm aware of the radio dish that is part of the VLBA at the other end of the island.)

Clear Skies!

Elizabeth

Edited by adastragrl, 28 February 2021 - 04:01 PM.

• R Botero, torsinadoc, SpaceConqueror3 and 2 others like this

#1631 SpaceConqueror3

SpaceConqueror3

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:16 PM

We are building a roll-top roof observatory on St Croix, USVI... Tree Frog Observatory...

Tree Frog Obs Construction

Other than Etelman Obs (located on St. Thomas), does anyone know of any other observatories (amateur) in the USVI? (Yes, I'm aware of the radio dish that is part of the VLBA at the other end of the island.)

Clear Skies!

Elizabeth

Wow, what a picturesque location! What telescope(s) will begin in it. It's looks high enough in elevation that tidal surge from a hurricane shouldn't be a problem. Other than the concrete construction, what other hurricane protection and mitigation have you put into the design?

• jcj380 likes this

#1632 adastragrl

adastragrl

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:28 PM

Wow, what a picturesque location! What telescope(s) will begin in it. It's looks high enough in elevation that tidal surge from a hurricane shouldn't be a problem. Other than the concrete construction, what other hurricane protection and mitigation have you put into the design?

• 152mm AP on an AP900 mount, portable pier
  • 235mm AP Mak-Newt on AP1200 mount, ATS pier
  • assortment of other smaller scopes...

We're redesigning the roof. Architect had a nice roof that matched the house. But it was too  (expensive) so the builder  asked him to simplify. So, the roof will be mostly flat, with a slight pitch towards the west. The upslope of the hill on the east protects from that direction. We took advantage of a natural saddle on the ridgeline. Still working on some of the details.

Elizabeth

• SpaceConqueror3 likes this

#1633 jcj380

jcj380

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:49 AM

We're redesigning the roof. Architect had a nice roof that matched the house. But it was too  (expensive) so the builder  asked him to simplify. So, the roof will be mostly flat, with a slight pitch towards the west. The upslope of the hill on the east protects from that direction. We took advantage of a natural saddle on the ridgeline. 

So that's sufficient to address wind force from a hurricane?  Interesting.

I too envy your location, but I'd probably spend all day in / on the ocean so I'd be too tired to observe at night.  wink.gif

• archer1960, kksmith and Scott123 like this

#1634 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:39 AM

Here's mine. South East England. I do visual, AP and photometry. 

IMG 1432

IMG 1470.thumb.jpg.a489ba90174e23eb97af6c2c81c28cd1

IMG 1469

• Cyrano, tjay, CCD-Freak and 6 others like this

#1635 SpaceConqueror3

SpaceConqueror3

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:56 AM

• 152mm AP on an AP900 mount, portable pier
  • 235mm AP Mak-Newt on AP1200 mount, ATS pier
  • assortment of other smaller scopes...

We're redesigning the roof. Architect had a nice roof that matched the house. But it was too  (expensive) so the builder  asked him to simplify. So, the roof will be mostly flat, with a slight pitch towards the west. The upslope of the hill on the east protects from that direction. We took advantage of a natural saddle on the ridgeline. Still working on some of the details.

Elizabeth

I never heard of a Astro-Physics 235mm Mak-Newt before. After doing a little sweep of the internet, is that right that your telescope was the one and only of it's kind ever produced? If so, what do you know about it's history?

#1636 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:44 AM

This one has been serving me well since 2014.

Attached Thumbnails

• FA7CD9E0-F9BC-40CD-8CE3-24D4355369F8.jpeg

• Cyrano, dmdouglass, AstroGabe and 9 others like this

#1637 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:45 AM

It’s quite cozy inside!

Roberto

Attached Thumbnails

• FED565CC-0562-4592-86D4-3214383D645F.jpeg

• Cyrano, CCD-Freak, AstroGabe and 9 others like this

#1638 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Apollo

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:25 PM

It’s quite cozy inside!

Roberto

That's some serious solar scopes there

• R Botero likes this

#1639 elpajare

elpajare

Viking 1

• Loc: Begur-Spain

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:36 PM

This is my minimalist setup for EAA that I can still handle despite my age from the garden of my house.

Stored in boxes are several telescopes, several cameras, several finders, a Starsense, a large number of cables and transformers that I do not use at all......and more things that I don't remember

TSOptics RC 8 "
Skywatcher NEQ5 goto (Synscan)
ZWO ASI294C uncooled
Asiair Pro
WIFI extender
Cheap tablet from Amazon

Geoptik protective cover for all this gear

Warm room: My own home office

Attached Thumbnails

• EAA setup.jpg

• R Botero, niteskystargazer and Scott123 like this

#1640 BoldlyGoing

BoldlyGoing

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Merritt Island, FL

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:32 AM

Here's mine! A 10-foot Technical Innovations Home Dome on a 3-foot concrete foundation, located in my backyard near Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Just went operational a couple of nights ago.

Obs-Sm.jpg

If you're interested in the saga of its construction, I wrote up the details at https://boldly-going...ew-observatory/

So far it works quite well. It's important to keep that base ring circular and level during installation, and we added a third drive motor and extra wheels to make sure it rotates smoothly. The solar panels and wifi antenna are temporary until an electrician can get out here to run cables to it.

Edited by BoldlyGoing, 01 April 2021 - 08:33 AM.

• R Botero, niteskystargazer, sandybourne and 10 others like this

#1641 outofdark

outofdark

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SLC

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:45 PM

Very nice.

Here's mine! A 10-foot Technical Innovations Home Dome on a 3-foot concrete foundation, located in my backyard near Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Just went operational a couple of nights ago.

Obs-Sm.jpg

If you're interested in the saga of its construction, I wrote up the details at https://boldly-going...ew-observatory/

So far it works quite well. It's important to keep that base ring circular and level during installation, and we added a third drive motor and extra wheels to make sure it rotates smoothly. The solar panels and wifi antenna are temporary until an electrician can get out here to run cables to it.

• LU1AR and Genoafire like this

#1642 Dupree

Dupree

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:27 PM

Here's a picture of my backyard observatory as it is being readied for a night of photography.  The SkyShed POD has been home to this observatory since 2012.  Currently I'm running a Celestron C6R and Orion ED80T CF on a Celestron CGEM DX mount.  I engineered my own POD zenith table using the offcuts from a deck refresh project.

It sure is nice to be up and running in minutes and to count on a fairly stable Polar Alignment. Although I do update the PA about every other month.

Clear Skies!

IMG_4613a.JPG

Edited by Dupree, 13 April 2021 - 09:29 PM.

• R Botero, niteskystargazer, Dhellis59 and 4 others like this

#1643 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado City Colorado

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:06 PM

@Dupree

Are you using a Pier or Tripod?

• Dupree likes this

#1644 Dupree

Dupree

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:47 PM

@Dupree

Are you using a Pier or Tripod?

Im using the HD tripod on vibration suppression pads.  It’s been pretty reliable.  Since most of my time is spent at the kitchen table I don’t really mind the broader footprint of the tripod.

I’d love to have a Tri-Pier for the sake of the diminished foot print but I’m not optimistic that I’ll have one dropped at my front door any time soon.

Cheers & Clear Skies!

#1645 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado City Colorado

Posted 17 April 2021 - 09:31 AM

Im using the HD tripod on vibration suppression pads.  It’s been pretty reliable.  Since most of my time is spent at the kitchen table I don’t really mind the broader footprint of the tripod.

I’d love to have a Tri-Pier for the sake of the diminished foot print but I’m not optimistic that I’ll have one dropped at my front door any time soon.

Cheers & Clear Skies!

Thanks,

I think that I will just use my Pier on the same slab as the base, being that I will not be on the pad at all when I am imaging.

That will save on the two different settings in the long run. No I have to rethink what Mount to use the CEM40 or 60 or just stay with the EQ6-R Pro being that is also the Pier I have on hand.

• Dupree likes this

#1646 George P Dunham

George P Dunham

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Crawford,CO USA

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:20 PM

My observatory is 1 year old and I thought I should post some pictures.

C14EdgeHD on a Paramount MX+

Two minicomputers

Two monitors to main computer

20"x20" luminescence flat panel

Exhaust fan

2 filtered inlet ports for exhaust fan.

Internet power switches

Optical cable to house

Mast for weather, lightnning and sky monitoring

Homemade seeing monitor under homemade allsky camera.

IMG_0234.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0223.jpg
  • IMG_0225.jpg
  • IMG_0229.jpg
  • IMG_0230.jpg
  • IMG_0231.jpg
  • IMG_0234.jpg

Edited by George P Dunham, 21 April 2021 - 04:31 PM.

• Cyrano, Christopher Erickson, dmdouglass and 11 others like this

#1647 MHamburg

MHamburg

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:53 AM

Really nice facility! Is that a flat field panel in the 3rd image? And if so, did you build and attach a wooden frame to the building?

Michael

#1648 George P Dunham

George P Dunham

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Crawford,CO USA

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:59 AM

Yes, it is a flat panel.  It took me a while to find a good place for it and I still might move it to the dome at the park position of the scope but I need to work out how to power it if I do.  For now it is mounted to the dome ring on a set of hinges and is oriented square to the scope in a specific user defined position.

#1649 MHamburg

MHamburg

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 23 April 2021 - 01:09 PM

I just attached some heavy-duty Velcro strips to the inside of the dome an then would place the panel on it when ready to take flats. So far it has never fallen off  but I like your set-up better.

Michael

#1650 cmaier

cmaier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:25 PM

Obs-Sm.jpg

I liked your build log, it brought back memories. My 10'er is going on 6 years old...FWIW, take a picture of how the shutter wires wrap on the spool. It will help when you have to replace them.

• LU1AR likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics