•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader Morpheus 17.5mm & TeleVue Delos 17.3mm - user impressions

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#26 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

The M17.5 & D17.3 are very similar in size, girth, & height, the D’s being slightly heavier. Double that for binoviewer applications, but it’s a minor difference. Both have immense eye-lenses; if you’re looking for a true picture-window on space, these will each do nicely! Both have loads of ER, each notably more than my eyeglass needs dictate- I’d estimate them at a Pentax XW level in this regard. And the short version is that, for my use in the BVer & in the Dob, these two EPs are FAR more similar than different optically, and I’m pretty sure most folks could be thrilled with either. There ARE some differences, but personally I’ve found such differences to typically be modest at most, and after decades of squinting thru Eps, I’m quite adaptable… perhaps to a fault?

And now having pairs of both, I AM thrilled with each! Actually just a wee bit conflicted, as I now have to decide which to let go of (I’ll keep a single of that pair, for my ‘cyclops’ use in another scope).

After two nights of extended A-B use of these two pairs, the first nite more on deepsky & the second divided between stars & a first quarter Moon, I’m quite confident that depth of magnitude reach is NOT one of their differences. In carefully searching nebulae & starfields, every time I’d spot an additional faint star, hiding on the fringes of averted vision, I’d say “Aha- the brand X has slightly better grasp than brand Y!”… until I’d swap EPs in the BVer and, lo & behold, there was that same faint star, and at about the same percentage of visibility. I suspect that variations in seeing above & user-focus below may’ve been responsible for most of these who-saw-it-first comparisons, and any actual differences in depth-of-grasp (transmission?) between the two EP designs may’ve fallen beneath my ability to determine them… if they even existed.

Likewise, for edge-of-field correction, I was NOT able to discern any meaningful differences between these two EPs. The Denk BVer utilizes their proprietary coma-corrective Newtonian nosepiece, and combined with the requisite focal extenders (to even reach focus in a fast Newtonian!), the steepest cone any EP will “see” in my rig would be ~F6.6 (F4.55 native x 1.46). As such, observing M42’s “Trapezium” drift across the field-stop & into view, both EPs show a very brief (~2%?) edge of chromatic & focus aberration (fairly normal for most any widefield EP), followed immediately by a sharp rendition the four primary stars, plus the ‘E’ star. There appears to be no outer “zone” of less-good image in either EP- both get down to biz very quickly, and maintain the same focus & image across ~95% of the field. (I find M42’s ‘F’ star is readily visible in cyclops mode, unless the seeing is mediocre or worse; part of the reason mono-viewing with Ethoi has bumped some of my BVing, but this is another story, for another day).

So instead of similarities, I’ll flip to the other end of the beast- and describe what I DID see as differences.

First, the two EPs can actually be used in the BVer to view, as a mismatch set. The Morpheus requires pulling out of the sleeve a bit in order to match focus; so if you have a D17.3, the M17.5 will require a bit of out-travel in your scope to reach focus… and vice-versa. If you find your scope requires a to-the-hilt focal position with the one, be careful if considering the investment involved in switching!

Both EPs have loads of ER, which is certainly a good thing. But here I noticed some rather odd behavior. The Delos’ solution to adjusting the eyeguard for the desired ER is truly beautiful! Mine are set at about 25% up from their bottom (flush) setting, and with a simple twist of the upper barrel there they stay. Period. And the cap fits nicely, no matter the eyeguard’s position. Nice! OTOH, the Morpheus is similar to Vixen’s LVWs- the eyecaps only fit with the eyeguard in one position (LVW it’s up, Morpheus requires it folded down), and as it turns out, like with my use of the LVWs, I have to manipulate the eyeguard to its opposite setting to best utilize the view. A saving grace here for the Morpheus is its eyeguard is notably easier to manipulate than the LVW’s.

But the eyeguard is where things got a bit odd with the Morpheus, optically; with the much-vaunted ER of the Morpheus, getting MORE than you need might present a problem with holding the view! If I leave the eyeguards down, I have to “float” my eyes above the EPs to view, and any slight miss-positioning- especially too close to the glass- and the exit-pupil suddenly goes bye-bye. Perhaps some folks can do the “float” maneuver while viewing, but as adaptable as I may be, this is not my idea of a comfortable arrangement! Even weirder, when I flip the eyeguards up (and they’re very short guards, very thin & flexy so this is actually easy), my eyeglasses come to rest gently against the upturned rubber, and the view position suddenly becomes perfect! Natural, easy, stable, relaxed! Maybe some of this comfort comes from years & years of my needing to “press-in” to the eyeguards to see the whole view-circle of minimal ER oculars? So I find this light touching to be natural- and in the Morpheus’ case, with MY eyes it’s a perfect match!

Now it’s worth mentioning the obvious- this is not an adjustable eyeguard; it’s either up, or it’s down. Even so, I’d estimate that my ER need is probably around 16-17mm, so the M17.5 should accommodate eyeglass ER down into the low/mid teens (pressing in a bit more than me), up to 20mm… perhaps a skosh more (guard folded down). Darn… didn’t think to try it bare-eyed.

So… what about that 76° AFoV you may ask. Good question… this was a significant one for me. Can you actually “feel” the 4° difference in the view-circle between the Morpheus & the Delos? For me, my eyes, I’d have to answer with a resounding YES! In fact, the Morpheus with its long ER & 76° AFoV “feels” to my eyes very much like the Nagler T4 experience- which I liked! Whereas the Delos ‘feels” more Pentax XW-like. Viewing starfields I had to visually establish field references & mentally map out stars & patterns between swapping EP pairs to tell with certainty that the Morpheus was displaying more sky, and by roughly how much. I didn’t (at this point) drift-time, but my visual estimate is that the M17.5 was showing a ~5-6% larger swath of stars, more than its 1.2% longer FL would contribute toward. And as mentioned before, that additional field was quite tight for focus & entirely usable- no, definitely not filled with “planetary nebulae” as in poorer quality Eps in days of yore.

However, turning my gaze onto Luna, the AFoV difference between the two Eps really jumped out & hit me! Yes, i could visually map craters, as with starfield patterns- and this I did. But woah, it was also clearly obvious- the Moon just rose up to meet your gaze in the Morpheus! Whereas in the Delos the view of Luna was perceptibly less-wide, kinda like it was a bit farther beneath your window. The Morpheus was more like pressing your face into the glass of the picture window… and especially for Luna, the Morpheus really pulled off the ‘disappearing eyepiece’ affect quite well!

That stated, both EPs rendered Luna wonderfully & equally sharp, both what I’d call “neutral” of tone, both pointing up detail quite well. I enjoy surfing up/down the terminator, trying to get that first glimpse of a mountain peak first poking up into sunlight- and both EP designs rendered such pinpricks of light equally sharp. For features lying in subdued grey tones, illuminated only by scattered/reflected light from nearby sunlit terrain, both EPs depicted such in like manner- neither able to show any distinct advantage over the other. Even surfing the earthshine regions of Luna, and off into space beyond, both EPs displayed similar tones, similar control of glare & scatter… at least as far as my eyes & scope could discern. And this really a testament to Baader, as TeleVue is a known benchmark of high standard, and the Delos line is currently their top-drawer offering!

One more Lunar aspect worth mentioning: the weirdness with holding the exit-pupil in the Morpheus reversed when viewing Luna! There it was the Delos that did some weird eyeball things! Perhaps it was the added brightness playing havoc with my pupil dilation? I’ve since scooched the eyeguards up a bit higher, as it was a bean-out deal from nudging in too close to the field lens. But for whatever reasons, the Morpheus eyeguard in the “up” position just worked wonderfully for my eyes & glasses, and did so all nite, viewing anything & everything.

Possibly an addendum to this, with the Morpheus pair in the BVer viewing Luna I could back away from the EP & the view remained equally sharp & free of aberrations/oddities- just gradually truncating around the periphery as my eyes came farther off the exit pupil. However, with the Delos onboard the exit pupil exhibited weird & distracting effects while pulling away- image ghosts, floaters, & difficulty in holding the view. Some of that may be attributed to the eyeball-eyepiece combination? Oddly, tho, these seemed to all be entirely missing in the Morpheus, where the eye-placement issues seem to be limited to inside the exit-pupil. Even so, I only noticed this while viewing Luna, where the brightness & its effect on pupil dilation may be the culprit.

Also worthy of mention is this new Morpheus eyeguard. The M14 acquired a few months ago has the older (original) rubber eyeguard- a poor design as it easily becomes dislodged from the EP’s top during use- particularly while fiddling with removing the cap. Trying to fumble in the dark to re-install a thin rubber guard, with an EP that’s almost entirely glass at its top puts way too many fingers way too close for comfort to things fingers aren’t s’posed to come into contact with! But true to form, Baader has come out with a redesign on this eyeguard- new Morphei shipping to dealers, and included with ALL the 17.5’s, have this new eyeguard. It’s the same thin, flexy rubber as the previous, but now it’s attached to a thin metal ring which threads onto the EP’s top. A clean & elegant solution! Waytogo Baader! I’d hazard a guess to say that, in a few short years, all Eps worth a boo will come equipped with thread-on/off rubber eyeguards. It’s just too good of an idea, whose time has come.

Baader does indeed seem to have gotten it right with this FL of Morpheus! Home run, outta the park Baader! Definitely worth the wait! Perhaps it was all the design, redesign, & refining spent on the 17.5 that resulted in this? I couldn’t say, as I’ve only seen & used the 14mm of this series, and that only recently, and in limited mono-view use in a much smaller F12 scope where optics are far less taxing. But I’m personally sold on this 17.5mm Baader Morpheus eyepiece!

So I s’pose its only fitting that I eat my share of crow for having, once or twice, dropped the “vaporware” term out of frustration (and, well, experience) for waiting for so long, and thru several “false alarm” announcements. But I’m glad I waited! And thanks, Don P., for faithfully watching & managing that list. Your occasional notes to those of us waiting was likely part of what encouraged us to hang on thru Baader’s R&D/QC efforts.

attachicon.gif BVer DreamTeam.JPG

Excellent review! Kudos to Baader for taking the time to get it right. At the sale price of $175, it sounds like a great bargain.
  • CounterWeight likes this

#27 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

Now all i need is some fresh COFFEE beans, and i'm set...

I just got some as a matter of fact from grocery store.  Unfortunately, can't figure out how to upload them lol.gif

#28 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• topic starter
  • Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:08 AM

Cover 'em with dark chocolate.... then you can DOWN-load them. grin.gif

• turtle86 likes this

#29 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

With such astigmatism, did you try a Dioptrx? Not sure it would fit the Baader but it would be nice on the Delos.
  • 25585 likes this

#30 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

The DioptRx astigmatism correctors fit the Baader Morpheus eyepieces.

• 25585 likes this

#31 paradise

paradise

Viking 1

• Loc: FRANCE

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

Anyway, I should like to read a real complete optical comparison on different objects : planetary, and DSO.

We could compare Delos 17.5, Morpheus 17.3, plus the Nikon SW 17.5, it would be interesting, much more interesting than strict technical comparisons.

Either : Pentax XW 14 vs Morpheus 14 vs Nikon SW  vs 14 Delos 14, on Newtonian, SC, and refractor, with several judges.

• rogeriomagellan and 25585 like this

#32 Starjedi

Starjedi

Explorer 1

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

Anyway, I should like to read a real complete optical comparison on different objects : planetary, and DSO.

We could compare Delos 17.5, Morpheus 17.3, plus the Nikon SW 17.5, it would be interesting, much more interesting than strict technical comparisons.

Either : Pentax XW 14 vs Morpheus 14 vs Nikon SW vs 14 Delos 14, on Newtonian, SC, and refractor, with several judges.

I remembered that I saw a report about comparing among XW 14, Morpheus 14 and Delos 14 where the conclusion is that Delos 14 is the best, pentax 14 2nd and Morpheus 14 is close but 3rd in his ranking.
  • Tank likes this

#33 Tank

Tank

Skylab

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

Liked the Morp

but liked the Delos better and also XWs

Morps are great value

• Procyon likes this

#34 Starjedi

Starjedi

Explorer 1

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

Liked the Morp

but liked the Delos better and also XWs

Morps are great value

Here is the report I found in the Internet (very detailed comparison).

http://jaysastronomy...ll-replace.html

Very interesting to read that para corr can eliminate the EOFB....   

One thing I am in caution is about sample variance.  From my experience for camera lenses,  the sample variance can be large even for well known manufacturer like Canon/Zeiss.  

Edited by Starjedi, 01 March 2018 - 10:36 PM.

• Tank likes this

#35 R_Huntzberry

R_Huntzberry

Mariner 2

• Loc: North Florida Lat 30.30

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:35 PM

Well, it looks like I may be the first one to receive a defective unit. The 'thread on eye-cup' WILL NOT thread off.

I tried everything I could think of to remove it but fortunately stopped short of grabbing my Channellock pliers wink.gif

I did try a small strap wrench, still wouldn't budge!

Thankfully I ordered it from a reputable dealer so I don't expect any problems returning it.

Of course their website lists them as currently out of stock! gaah.gif

#36 Starjedi

Starjedi

Explorer 1

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

Well, it looks like I may be the first one to receive a defective unit. The 'thread on eye-cup' WILL NOT thread off.

I tried everything I could think of to remove it but fortunately stopped short of grabbing my Channellock pliers wink.gif

Thankfully I ordered it from a reputable dealer so I don't expect any problems returning it.

I see.  My sample variance theory sounds to be validated immediately...  Just return it and get the new one!

Edited by Starjedi, 01 March 2018 - 10:49 PM.

#37 Glass Man

Glass Man

Explorer 1

• Loc: 2sun, AZ

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

I thought I may have received one that wouldn't unscrew also. However, I then tried lifting the rubber eye guard first and guess what, it easily unscrewed then. You may want to give that a try if you haven't already. This is a really nice ep, just ordered the rest too.

Karl

• rowdy388, jkwhinfrey and Starjedi like this

#38 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

Mine are coming!! they are coming!!!!

One comes today, the other one on Wednesday, of course, we will have a nice pineapple storm , the biggest storm of this season for SoCal :(

BUT Saturday night MIGHT be clear (of course, viewing conditions will probably be horrible, but who cares) for our outreach star party ... :)

#39 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boden, Sweden, Scandinavia

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:31 AM

After years of waiting for the 17,5mm eyepiece to be released I received it today. Like with 12,5mm model my intension is to use it mainly with my Pentax PF-65ED AII spottingscope. I think Baader did it well with this eyepiece. As I can see it the image is sharp to the very edges.

The new screw on eyecup is much better than the old one which too easy fell of.
The long eye relief is more than enough for eyeglasses and i just wish the eyecup had been stepless adjustable, it had been even better.

The claiming of flat field I find a bit exaggerated. These eyepeices do provide a certain amount of pincushion distorsion. This is not a problem and is not annoying for normal use, however. But it's definitely noticeable when using the eyepiece for photography. Maybe not a problem for astronomy and some nature shots but when a building or other straight line is (a part of )the object it definitely can be noticeable.

Still Baader Morpheus 17,5mm is an awesome eyepiece and it will serve well as well for astronomy, birdwatching and views over the landscape. I do believe Pentax PF-65ED/Baader Morpheus together is one of the finest choices for allround spottingscope use.

Edited by Swedpat, 07 April 2018 - 05:33 AM.

#40 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

Still Baader Morpheus 17,5mm is an awesome eyepiece and it will serve well as well for astronomy, birdwatching and views over the landscape. I do believe Pentax PF-65ED/Baader Morpheus together is one of the finest choices for allround spottingscope use.

I own two of the 17.5mm for my APM 100 ED APO binocular.

My 12mm Delos, 22mm Vixen LVW and the 18mm Radian are sharper at the edge, even at 55 degree apparent field... 

But the view is much wider then the Radian... and only 200 Euro each, so I'll keep them.

• Procyon likes this

#41 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

After years of waiting for the 17,5mm eyepiece to be released I received it today. Like with 12,5mm model my intension is to use it mainly with my Pentax PF-65ED AII spottingscope. I think Baader did it well with this eyepiece. As I can see it the image is sharp to the very edges.

The new screw on eyecup is much better than the old one which too easy fell of.
The long eye relief is more than enough for eyeglasses and i just wish the eyecup had been stepless adjustable, it had been even better.

The claiming of flat field I find a bit exaggerated. These eyepieces do provide a certain amount of pincushion distortion. This is not a problem and is not annoying for normal use, however. But it's definitely noticeable when using the eyepiece for photography. Maybe not a problem for astronomy and some nature shots but when a building or other straight line is (a part of )the object it definitely can be noticeable.

You are confusing "flat field" with "lack of distortion".  

Having a flat field merely means the focal plane is not curved--the center and edges are in focus at the same time.

This has nothing to do with pincushion distortion.  The field can be flat and still have distortion.

Pincushion distortion (aka positive rectilinear distortion) will be found in nearly every astronomical eyepiece with a field of 50° or larger.

Eyepieces designed for daytime use will usually have reduced rectilinear distortion to keep straight lines straight, but, as a result, leave in angular magnification distortion instead, where the magnification of the field varies according to the position in the field.  That usually isn't severe when using the eyepiece in the daytime, but it's a disaster in astronomical observing.  It's also why most spotting scope-specific eyepieces have narrower fields.

If you want eyepieces that are best for daytime use and nighttime use, you will probably end up with two sets of eyepieces or stick with narrower fields.

• F.Meiresonne, JimOfOakCreek, rogeriomagellan and 1 other like this

#42 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

After years of waiting for the 17,5mm eyepiece to be released I received it today. Like with 12,5mm model my intension is to use it mainly with my Pentax PF-65ED AII spottingscope

BillP has tested the 17.5mm in his Pentax 65ED II spotting scope, the view show very good edge sharpness (no FC).

BillP conclude the Pentax has flat field optical design.

Here is his full review: https://astronomycon...5mm-eyepiece.71

#43 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

I own two of the 17.5mm for my APM 100 ED APO binocular.

My 12mm Delos, 22mm Vixen LVW and the 18mm Radian are sharper at the edge, even at 55 degree apparent field... 

But the view is much wider then the Radian... and only 200 Euro each, so I'll keep them.

Nice to hear!

You are confusing "flat field" with "lack of distortion".  

Having a flat field merely means the focal plane is not curved--the center and edges are in focus at the same time.

This has nothing to do with pincushion distortion.  The field can be flat and still have distortion.

Pincushion distortion (aka positive rectilinear distortion) will be found in nearly every astronomical eyepiece with a field of 50° or larger.

Eyepieces designed for daytime use will usually have reduced rectilinear distortion to keep straight lines straight, but, as a result, leave in angular magnification distortion instead, where the magnification of the field varies according to the position in the field.  That usually isn't severe when using the eyepiece in the daytime, but it's a disaster in astronomical observing.  It's also why most spotting scope-specific eyepieces have narrower fields.

If you want eyepieces that are best for daytime use and nighttime use, you will probably end up with two sets of eyepieces or stick with narrower fields.

Thanks for correction! I really prefer to have center and edges in focus at the same time despite some amount of pincusion distortion than having edges unfocused when center is in focus. I understand you will not get everything perfect with a single eyepiece.

So far I don't consider the pincusion distortion an issue for normal use and Morpheus provides a wide open view which is very pleasant.

BillP has tested the 17.5mm in his Pentax 65ED II spotting scope, the view show very good edge sharpness (no FC).

Thanks for information and link!

• 25585 likes this

#44 Brollen

Brollen

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

I recently purchased the 17.5mm and on the strength of my initial impressions purchased the 12.5mm. 

They each behave so well in all my scopes giving stunning views and so nice to the edge. In a word, they are amazing. I hope to buy more, especially before the sale ends.

Clear skies!

• Swedpat, SteveG, CounterWeight and 1 other like this

#45 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:19 AM

Because Morpheus 12,5 and 17,5mm are great eyepieces I consider to get 9mm as well. The question is if the gain of resolution makes it worth the cost. I wonder because I earlier noticed that Hyperion 8mm hardly gave any better resolution at all than Hyperion 13mm. This because of image degradation due to the increased magnification.

If Morpheus 9mm is better quality than Hyperion 8mm combined with slightly lower magnification it might be a good result?

But I know that the spottingscope with the correct image prisms also limit the useful magnification(much earlier than astronomical scope with a diagonal) so the question is where the visible image degradation really occurs. Pentax 65mm spottingscope has focal length 390mm.

Edited by Swedpat, 10 April 2018 - 01:37 AM.

• rogeriomagellan likes this

#46 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:50 AM

Because Morpheus 12,5 and 17,5mm are great eyepieces I consider to get 9mm as well. The question is if the gain of resolution makes it worth the cost. I wonder because I earlier noticed that Hyperion 8mm hardly gave any better resolution at all than Hyperion 13mm. This because of image degradation due to the increased magnification.

If Morpheus 9mm is better quality than Hyperion 8mm combined with slightly lower magnification it might be a good result?

But I know that the spottingscope with the correct image prisms also limit the useful magnification(much earlier than astronomical scope with a diagonal) so the question is where the visible image degradation really occurs. Pentax 65mm spottingscope has focal length 390mm.

If you're seeing image degradation at just 49x and 1.33mm exit pupil, then I'm afraid the issue lies with the spotting scope. The quality difference between Hyperion and Morpheus is not going to be significant if you're not getting good views in the Hyperion. 

• Peter Besenbruch likes this

#47 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• topic starter
  • Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

... or the image inverter therewith? Any way to disengage the inverter & utilize a standard astronomy diagonal? Most of our dedicated astro-use telescopes render flipped/inverted images, and for image quality reasons it's a non-issue.

Because i'm thinkin' the Pentax objective itself should be pretty good, and should get you to at least 1mm exit-pupil (ie. a 6mm eyepiece), if not more! But i'm honestly not familiar with spotting scopes & their optics & pedigree....

#48 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

If you're seeing image degradation at just 49x and 1.33mm exit pupil, then I'm afraid the issue lies with the spotting scope. The quality difference between Hyperion and Morpheus is not going to be significant if you're not getting good views in the Hyperion. 

I guess you are right. I am still interested to find out how I perceive the 9mm Morpheus...

... or the image inverter therewith? Any way to disengage the inverter & utilize a standard astronomy diagonal? Most of our dedicated astro-use telescopes render flipped/inverted images, and for image quality reasons it's a non-issue.

Because i'm thinkin' the Pentax objective itself should be pretty good, and should get you to at least 1mm exit-pupil (ie. a 6mm eyepiece), if not more! But i'm honestly not familiar with spotting scopes & their optics & pedigree....

I have tried it with 5mm Hyperion as well(78x/0,83mm EP) and the result was even worse. At 2mm exit pupil the image is very good so I guess the true degradation occurs at ~1,5mm or less. One thing I noticed was that the color correction was still very good at 78x, however. But that does not help much if the sharpness is lost.

Edited by Swedpat, 10 April 2018 - 02:07 PM.

#49 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

Excellent review Mike B

I have a pair of the Baaders for bv use. I find BillP's assessment of eye relief right. 24mm as opposed to the 19mm advertised.

Being another having to live in my glasses, any ep with useable eye relief over 20mm is bait. I too have the LVWs which, especially the 22s, are superb.

For cyclops use, I also have a Nikon 17.5mm NAV SW. It is smaller, lighter, than either Delos or Morpheus, but has advertised eye relief of 27mm, and AFOV 70 degrees. A gem I will be comparing to Baader's new baby soon. It may be better for bino viewing being narrower, so less ipd issue. Maybe you can't get Nikon eps in the US?

Using the Morpheus I fit the eye guard straight onto its cylinder to keep adequate eye relief, but folded back flat as a buffer so my glasses lenses do not get scratched. 

Edited by 25585, 05 May 2018 - 07:00 AM.

#50 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:56 AM

XWs were designed for Pentax spotting scopes. I would expect the pairing to be perfect.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics