•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader Morpheus 17.5mm & TeleVue Delos 17.3mm - user impressions

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#51 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:45 PM

I've tried my Morpheus 12.5 & 17.5mm and I'm having trouble with eye placement.  I wear my progressive glasses to observe.   I've used both with the eye cup rolled down and up, along with the extension and eyecup.  I find any combination to be too short or too long.  I rest my glasses on the rubber guard.   I've tried all combinations and the closest I can come is the guard, unscrewed 2 rotations of the 4.   But that makes the thread connection very loose and I won't do that.   With the M43+eyeguard I have to mash my glasses into the eyepiece and that disturbs the observation my shaking the image.   I just can't find the right spot like I can with my Delos/Pentax with their infinitely variable guard.

Any ideas?  I love the EPs but the annoyance of finding 'the perfect eye postion' is troubling.  Lots of image drop, etc.   I wish Baader had a ring about half the height of the M43 accessory ring.

SB

• Procyon likes this

#52 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

I've tried my Morpheus 12.5 & 17.5mm and I'm having trouble with eye placement.  I wear my progressive glasses to observe.   I've used both with the eye cup rolled down and up, along with the extension and eyecup.  I find any combination to be too short or too long.  I rest my glasses on the rubber guard.   I've tried all combinations and the closest I can come is the guard, unscrewed 2 rotations of the 4.   But that makes the thread connection very loose and I won't do that.   With the M43+eyeguard I have to mash my glasses into the eyepiece and that disturbs the observation my shaking the image.   I just can't find the right spot like I can with my Delos/Pentax with their infinitely variable guard.

Any ideas?  I love the EPs but the annoyance of finding 'the perfect eye postion' is troubling.  Lots of image drop, etc.   I wish Baader had a ring about half the height of the M43 accessory ring.

SB

Zero problems here. 

Take off the M43 extension. It makes it too long to get to the right position. 

When I wear my glasses, I leave the m43 ext off, and I roll down the eyecup all of the way. 

Don't get too close to the lens, just hover a bit above it and you should be fine.

PS: Make sure you sit down when you observe. It is 1,000 times better than standing because your entire body and head is more stable.

Edited by Miranda2525, 08 June 2018 - 06:58 PM.

• jgroub, jeffmac and 25585 like this

#53 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:32 PM

Zero problems here. 

Take off the M43 extension. It makes it too long to get to the right position. 

When I wear my glasses, I leave the m43 ext off, and I roll down the eyecup all of the way. 

Don't get too close to the lens, just hover a bit above it and you should be fine.

PS: Make sure you sit down when you observe. It is 1,000 times better than standing because your entire body and head is more stable.

I'll try that again, but I think I remember then I don't get to see the field stop.   I always sit when observing, thanks.  

#54 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:23 AM

I'll try that again, but I think I remember then I don't get to see the field stop.   I always sit when observing, thanks.  

If you remove the M43 piece, you WILL easily see the field stop better.

#55 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:11 AM

With the extender, you have 4 heights of eyecup:

1) with extender, eyecup rolled UP

2) with extender, eyecup rolled DOWN

3) Without extender, eyecup rolled UP

4) Without extender, eyecup rolled DOWN.

I would guess either 3 or 4 would be close to perfect with glasses on.

#1 is close to perfect for me, without glasses.

Edited by Starman1, 09 June 2018 - 09:11 AM.

• Miranda2525 likes this

#56 Olle Eriksson

Olle Eriksson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Skåne, Sweden

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

Ha.. I had the exact same problem and I hadn't realized you could use the eyecup rolled down.

Olle

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

#57 jonstarrysky

jonstarrysky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: England, U.K.

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

I have used my Morpheus 17.5 with MkV and DenkII binos on my 18" dob with various OCA configurations . The Morpheus 17.5 is a very nice EP as has been mentioned in this thread, and is nice to have after such a long wait.

I have several other pairs of  eyepieces for the binos listed below, all of which perform well in their own ways. I had envisaged the Morpheus 17.5 to be the last word for bino eyepieces - wide AFOV + TFOV (within limitation of 1.25" EP format). 

But I have to comment that (based on personal preference) I am still reaching for the 24pans as may favored pair at the minute. For me personally the difference in the AFOV and immersiveness between the Morhpeus and Panoptic is not that huge.

Takahashi 30LE

Panoptic 24

Panoptic 19

Takahashi Abbe Ortho 18

Morhpeus 17.5

Denk D14

#58 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:53 AM

I've tried my Morpheus 12.5 & 17.5mm and I'm having trouble with eye placement.  I wear my progressive glasses to observe.   I've used both with the eye cup rolled down and up, along with the extension and eyecup.  I find any combination to be too short or too long.  I rest my glasses on the rubber guard.   I've tried all combinations and the closest I can come is the guard, unscrewed 2 rotations of the 4.   But that makes the thread connection very loose and I won't do that.   With the M43+eyeguard I have to mash my glasses into the eyepiece and that disturbs the observation my shaking the image.   I just can't find the right spot like I can with my Delos/Pentax with their infinitely variable guard.

Any ideas?  I love the EPs but the annoyance of finding 'the perfect eye postion' is troubling.  Lots of image drop, etc.   I wish Baader had a ring about half the height of the M43 accessory ring.

SB

I have the same problem!

btw I use special non-progressive glasses for viewing.

I use the m43 extension ring but I must press my glasses on to the eyepieces (bino viewing), no other option is better.

Yes Baader should have 1/2 height m43 ring.

Garrett vd Veen

Edited by garret, 10 June 2018 - 04:55 AM.

• spongebob@55 likes this

#59 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:04 AM

It would be interesting to get an idea of how observing habits with the eyecups relate to blackouts with specific eyepiece lines.

I observe with eyecups rolled down (or even removed) and want no contact with the top surface of the eyepiece.  I've always observed this way.  I use my glasses until the exit pupil is <1.25mm.   With or without my glasses I have no blackout problems with the Morpheus eyepieces.

But from reading the comments about blackouts it seems that if you prefer observing with eyecups adjusted and contact with the eyecups you are having some trouble.  The adjustable eyecup of the Delos probably is better for people that observe this way.  

My guess is that if you always seek contact with the eyecup then you are using the eyecup to help steady your movements.  So an eyepiece like the Morpheus without an adjustable eyecup may be more challenging because you have not trained yourself to hold the exit pupil while floating above the eye lens.

• Starman1, CounterWeight, jeffmac and 2 others like this

#60 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

I had a peek thru a friends 17mm and 12mm ES 92's last night. All I can say is move over Morpheus, these are the new kids on the block, and they are amazing !!!!

After looking through the ES 92's, the Morpheus felt like ES 68's , lol. 

The Baader Morpheus are awesome EP's, but IMO, the ES 92's are all that, AND MORE !!!! 

I can't wait to try the others that will be coming out. choo-choo.gif

Edited by Miranda2525, 12 June 2018 - 01:14 PM.

• Procyon and 25585 like this

#61 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

I had a peek thru a friends 17mm and 12mm ES 92's last night. All I can say is move over Morpheus, these are the new kids on the block, and they are amazing !!!!

The Baader Morpheus are awesome EP's, but IMO, the ES 92's are all that, AND MORE !!!! 

A friend of mine has the 12mm ES92 and the 12.5mm Morpheus and came to the opposite conclusion.  He's talking about selling the 12mm ES92.

That said, I would try a shorter FL ES92 if it is less than 2 pounds.  The current FL are just too heavy.

• Mike B likes this

#62 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:13 PM

Can the rubber eye cups be removed and the Agena Eye Guard be put in its place?  https://agenaastro.c...es-id-40mm.html    Or was that only for the original version of the EP?   What I'm thinking is I can trim a 1 or 2mm length of the eye guard and once rolled up, will give me my perfect eye position w/o jamming my glasses into it.

Thanks

SB

#63 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:07 PM

Can the rubber eye cups be removed and the Agena Eye Guard be put in its place?  https://agenaastro.c...es-id-40mm.html    Or was that only for the original version of the EP?   What I'm thinking is I can trim a 1 or 2mm length of the eye guard and once rolled up, will give me my perfect eye position w/o jamming my glasses into it.

Thanks

SB

Jamming your eyeglasses into what eyepiece?

What EP are you referring to?

#64 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:09 PM

A friend of mine has the 12mm ES92 and the 12.5mm Morpheus and came to the opposite conclusion.  He's talking about selling the 12mm ES92.

That said, I would try a shorter FL ES92 if it is less than 2 pounds.  The current FL are just too heavy.

I had no problems with eye positioning on the 12mm or 17mm ES 92's. With eyecup in the down position, it was easy to hold positioning. Yea, a bit heavy, but nothing a counterweight can't tackle. lol

• 25585 likes this

#65 DRodrigues

DRodrigues

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

TFOV

The Morpheus has about +2.5% TFOV than the Delos but has about -9.5% than the XW20. From the posts I read it seemed that the TFOV difference would be smaller so I ordered a pair of the Morpheus for my daylight bino-combo http://www.pt-ducks....#CR-binoviewing . On this special combo the TFOV difference is even higher...tongue2.gif The not so bad detail is that a pair of Morpheus costed me about the same of a XW20!...waytogo.gif 

#66 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

Tried a few Morpheus, my friend really likes them a lot, I prefer the Delos by a long shot. So I'm selling them all and getting an ES 92 12 since Miranda was stunned by them last night lol. Those hyperwides are addictive, turned my Naglers into Panoptics.

Edited by Procyon, 12 June 2018 - 07:52 PM.

• Miranda2525 and 25585 like this

#67 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

Jamming your eyeglasses into what eyepiece?

What EP are you referring to?

Morpheus 12.5 & 17.5.   Can the Agena eyecup replace the OE roll down screwed off eye cup.......

#68 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:10 PM

Hi.

What were you able to observe with the ES 92° 17mm and 12mm eyepieces?

#69 Olle Eriksson

Olle Eriksson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Skåne, Sweden

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:18 AM

Actually now that I tried it I found that the extender extends the height about as much as the rolling down of the eye cup lowers it, so I didn't find it to be much of a difference. The eye cup becomes stiffer when rolled down so that's always something. :)

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

#70 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:39 AM

Morpheus 12.5 & 17.5.   Can the Agena eyecup replace the OE roll down screwed off eye cup.......

If you're jamming your eye into the eyepiece, you are not using it right.

#71 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:40 AM

Hi.

What were you able to observe with the ES 92° 17mm and 12mm eyepieces?

Quite a few things. It is one of the most comfortable eyepieces I have ever used next to the Delos and Morpheus, and these are 92°. Amazing innovation.

• Procyon likes this

#72 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

If you're jamming your eye into the eyepiece, you are not using it right.

Does anyone have a helpful answer to the question posed........Can the Agena eyecup replace the OE roll down screwed off eye cup.......

#73 rowdy388

rowdy388

Skylab

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

I bought and really liked the Agena eyecup for my early model Morpheus 9mm. It fixed the

problem I was having, finding and keeping the exit pupil. Then Baader sent out the screw-on

replacement eyecups to early purchasers so I am able to use that now. For me, both fixes work

equally well.

#74 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Does anyone have a helpful answer to the question posed........Can the Agena eyecup replace the OE roll down screwed off eye cup.......

Uh, why would you want to do that?

• Miranda2525 likes this

#75 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• topic starter
  • Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:25 PM

...Then Baader sent out the screw-on replacement eyecups to early purchasers so I am able to use that now. 

I really appreciate Baader's follow-up on this, not only as i also benefit quite well from the new thread-on eyeguard, but in the larger picture, who does this sorta thing? Baader done good here, and it's worth tootin' their horn! waytogo.gif They are a class act.

Let me also give a shout-out of appreciation to our fine astro vendors, like Eyepiece's Etc., who sent me a replacement eyeguard, plus the M43 ring, AND the additional cap that fits the eyeguard in its alternate folded position.... and all for a Morpheus i'd purchased *used* off the CNC. Who does this sorta thing? Baader's authorized vendor done good here, and it's worth tootin' their horn, too! flowerred.gif

• CounterWeight, Procyon, rowdy388 and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics