•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Life hack: Flats with Aurora EL-foil and Baader UHC-S

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 the Elf

the Elf

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

Maybe this helps someone:

I've been using Aurora EL-foil (by Gerd Neumann) to take flats with my unmodded EOS 600D. Fine. R:G:B is 0.7 : 0.98 : 1 (some bluish white).

Then I used it with the same camera and the Baader UHC-S booster filter. R:G:B is 0.06 : 0.83 : 1 (medium blue). The low level of red introduces some noise to the flats that I fought down by taking 100 flats.

Now I ordered cheap color foil for stage/disco spotlights and tried different colors. My goal was to tame blue and green but not too much, so that I can still use it without the filter. Furthermore I want to use it with a 7nm Ha. It turned out yellow an pink are both well suited:

yellow with UHC-S: 0.81 : 1 : 0.95

yellow without: 0.85 : 1 : 0.74

pink with UHC-S: 0.88 : 0.93 : 1

pink without: 0:76 : 0:76 : 1

Both have the same intensity at Ha. I took yellow for the camera measures exposure with an emphasis on green. To avoid an over exposure I want green to be the strongest.

Of course the values differ for different cameras and for different filters. But if you find one channel far too weak the foil is a way to go. I put it inside the aurora (as one does with the NDs), so same handling as before.

(Values have been measured from raw without white balance in PI)

best

the Elf

• Hobby Astronomer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics