•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

S&T marketing...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:43 PM

Just received my April S&T and was amazed at the AARP envelope with membership info complete with prepaid return envelope rubber cemented onto p.68.

Also full page of age spot, overactive bladder, etc. ....i.e. old age infirmities on p.65.

Think they got their market demographic down?

Another example of data mining.....tongue2.gif

#2 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

lol.gif lol.gif

gramps.gif

Yep, I think they got us.

#3 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

I suggest you call customer service. I did and was informed they've received many complaints about the glue on the inserts leaving marks and wrinkles when removed. Also noted and reported was the type of adhesive used on the address label. When removed the underlying slick surface lifts off and leaves an ugly scar. 

#4 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Very carefully removed my AARP letter but the glue would not let go and tore out nearly all where the glue was.  Yes it @$##$^% me off !
    Didn't realize it was from S&T till later.  AARP is much like S&T in that they CONSTANTLY and irritatingly send out renewal notices.  I just thought it was one of theirs.  Never had any trouble with the address label that I always remove.

#5 Dogmeat

Dogmeat

Lift Off

• Loc: Vale, Oregon

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

I had the same issue removing the AARP envelope, tore up the page a bit.  Emailed S&T about it and they extended my subscription for a month.  Said they would forward my comments to the head office.  But the demographic is a bit close to home.

#6 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

Yeah, it's an obvious demographic for them to hit. I haven't minded, at all, the ads they've run. I want them to stay in business and I'd prefer an ad I can ignore than an increase in subscription rate.

But the glue on the AARP insert was really, really, really annoying. 

I get that they're worried we'll just throw them out (they being AARP) but I'm infinitely more likely to throw it out once they've annoyed me.

And, in any case, I'm not (yet) eligible for their services.  So, take that suckers!

Anyway, no more glue.  Geez.

#7 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:45 PM

Agreed....I belong to AARP and contribute generously yearly, so this was particularly annoying as they don't even bother to delete members from this.

#8 opticsguy

opticsguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

Agreed with the AARP glued-in letter.  Got mine off with no damage but if they do this again, I probably will not renew.  Been subscribing since 1968 and always dedicated to both S&T and Astronomy.  The new kind of marketing has left me cold.  

After a bazillion renewal notices for Astronomy mag, and I do mean a bazillion, I lost track of when I REALLY needed to renew and now my subscription has passed.... without my renewal. 

#9 StarWolf57

StarWolf57

Viking 1

• Loc: Granada Hills (Los Angeles), CA

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

I found the AARP letter to be quite annoying as well. I probably wouldn't quit my subscription over it, but it leaves me cold. I realize S&T is looking for additional sources of revenue, but turning off their readers and losing subscribers over it would seem to be a poor long term plan.

#10 Traveler

Traveler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

Bad job from S&T:

magazine page broken and no idea what AARP is because i was so angry about this silly thing, i destroy immediately the envelope etc and throw it in the bin....

i hope i make myself clear S&T....

#11 Chucke

Chucke

Messenger

• Loc: AZ

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

Interesting that they would send an AARP notice to someone in the EU.  I would expect their software to be smarter than that.

I was able to get the envelope loose without damaging the page but it took a few seconds to realize that it was advertising and not accidently interleaved by the PO.  The glue was the giveaway.  Duh.

I don't mind the advertisements although they took me by surprise when they first started.  Scientific American has been doing it for years.

#12 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Vostok 1

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

I was so upset about this glue situation that I threw my walker all the way across the room!  After calming down I went to retrieve it, only to trip over a box of Depends. Fell flat on my face.  Readers are all bent to hell now. 

Time to relax a bit with a bottle of Boost and then a quick nap before dinner.  Reminder to self: Get dentures out of soaking solution before laying down.  Hope I can stay awake long enough for it to get dark ... want to try out that new donut pillow on my observing chair.

#13 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

I was so upset about this glue situation that I threw my walker all the way across the room!  After calming down I went to retrieve it, only to trip over a box of Depends. Fell flat on my face.  Readers are all bent to hell now. 

Time to relax a bit with a bottle of Boost and then a quick nap before dinner.  Reminder to self: Get dentures out of soaking solution before laying down.  Hope I can stay awake long enough for it to get dark ... want to try out that new donut pillow on my observing chair.

gramps.gif

#14 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:15 PM

Bad job from S&T:

magazine page broken and no idea what AARP is because i was so angry about this silly thing, i destroy immediately the envelope etc and throw it in the bin....

i hope i make myself clear S&T....

You know, it never occurred to me to open the letter once I got it out !

#15 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:57 AM

gramps.gif

it is really surprising that companies like to irritate their faithful customers so

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 05 March 2018 - 04:58 AM.

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:46 AM

roflmao.gif

I haven't subscribed to Sky and Telescope for at least 10 years.  I am glad I quit.  I am just not part of that demographic.  smile.gif

"Honey, are these the Prunes or the Suppositories? I can't find my trifocals and I can't read the label with my bifocals."

"Honey..  Honey, you awake?"

"Hum, they don't taste like prunes... "

Jon

#17 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

I stopped my subscription of 20 years two years ago.

I like the magazine but got tired of their email ads 1-2 a week

I complained on CNs and got what I saw as a  sarcastic response,

so switched to $9.99 Astronomy on discount mags

like most here, I do meet their demographics

edj

#18 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

>> it is really surprising that companies like to irritate their faithful customers so

Some bean counter realized that only a small percentage will cancel due to irritation and that will be offset by the increased revenue generated.  Simple megacorp statistics (faithful customers be ****).

#19 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:28 AM

I realize S&T is looking for additional sources of revenue, but turning off their readers and losing subscribers over it would seem to be a poor long term plan.

This is the first I've heard about this story, and I haven't asked about the details. But I'm 99% sure without even asking that the idea originated in the parent company, not inside the S&T office.

Back when S&T was employee-owned, and marketing was done in-house, the marketing was occasionally crass, but it was rarely stupid.

#20 opticsguy

opticsguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

S&T has always been a wonderful magazine and the "family" that puts the magazine together are awesome.

The new ads are there to support the magazine something I prefer to a cancellation of an excellent publication for lack of funding.

This will be my 50th year as a subscriber and still enthused about every issue, A gift every month.

The real problems come from the parent company that now owns S&T.  In my opinion, the parent company is not about people at all and this latest disregard for S&T readers makes this even more clear.

One more thought, those who seem to be proud of no longer subscribing, you are missing a lot........................ S&T is one of many opportunities in life,  enjoy!!

#21 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

lol.gif roflmao.gif rofl2.gif

I guess there is a tiny advantage to the nearly constant rain here as my issue arrived without the envelope -- the glue must have given up from the sogginess.

#22 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:50 PM

One more thought, those who seem to be proud of no longer subscribing, you are missing a lot........................ S&T is one of many opportunities in life,  enjoy!!

I don't know about anyone else,  but I was only stating a fact , it's been a number of years since I subscribed.  It's a fine magazine but age of the internet is killing magazines . 

The part about not being a part of that particular demographic..  That was an attempt at humor. . I'm not sure when I joined AARP but I've been eligible for almost 20 years.. 

Such things in other magazines that my wife subscribes to, they don't bother meme,  it just helps keep them going .

Jon

Jon

#23 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

Yea, and what really ticked me off is removing it damaged the page making a portion unreadable.

Arrrrg!

#24 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Vostok 1

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

The parent company isn't stupid, they knew the ad would irritate our demographic.  But they did their homework first and discovered that 87.4% of people in our age bracket forget 91% of what they read within a couple days.  By the time most of us get around to calling/writing with our complaint, we will most likely have forgotten what the hell we were so upset about to begin with.

When we start seeing the ad for a heated astro-rocker with support for 7X35 binoculars (optional Boost holder and Depends pouch), we'll know an urn, personalized with one of your own astro-images, will be right around the corner.  

Q.   What has one hundred legs, moves slowly in the dark and smells like urine?

A.   A star party in the year 2030. 

Edited by Pat Rochford, 05 March 2018 - 04:54 PM.

#25 StarWolf57

StarWolf57

Viking 1

• Loc: Granada Hills (Los Angeles), CA

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

Market researchers also know that few people take the time to complain. They simply stop using their product, so knowingly alienating them is a short-sighted move. Find another way to connect advertisers to their customer base.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics