•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher Skymax 180 First look/impressions.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 marax

marax

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:00 PM

If you saw my last thread, I purchased a Sky-watcher 180mm Maksutov, that had some problems. Here is a link to that thread in case you missed it: https://www.cloudyni...irror-problems/

This thread will be what that one should have been. Me showing off my new scope. smile.gif

First I would like to thank Kevin and Sky-watcher. They really went above and beyond to help me out. I didn't think this level of customer service existed anymore, but I was proven wrong.

The first thing I noticed when I got the scope inside was that UPS decided to upgrade the handling process with a drop kick or something similar. The entire side of the box was split open and I could see the scope inside. bawling.gif

20180303_160045.jpg

I looked it over, and to my relief, everything seems to be just fine.

The first thing I noticed were the green accents and the addition of the "Skymax 180" under the logo. This really caught my eye, and I think it is a nice addition.

P1000861.JPG

The overall finish of the scope is excellent. The paint looks great and even the green anodizing on the dovetail looks well done.

The coatings on the meniscus are a rich purple and green color. I am not positive, but the black paint inside of the OTA seems to be darker than the previous model I had. I seem to be getting less reflection off of the interior OTA walls and baffle in pictures. It also looks darker to me.

P1000870.JPG

P1000864.JPG

The primary mirror looks great. There is absolutely no sign of the coating issues I had in the previous model. Also if you compare this photo with ones in my previous thread you will see the reflections from the interior of the OTA and baffle look significantly less.

P1000871.JPG

• eros312, KevH, Exnihilo and 2 others like this

#2 marax

marax

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:00 PM

The focuser seems quite smooth, and looks like a regular Celestron focus knob. This visual back is 2" and is nicely machined aluminum. The visual back also has a baffle.

P1000872.JPG

P1000873.JPG

The scope comes with a few accessories as well. It includes a 2" mirror diagonal, a 2" 28mm eyepiece, and a 9x50 finderscope.

P1000875.JPG

P1000876.JPG

The finderscope seems the nicest of the bunch. The coatings on the objective look quite nice. They have the same blue green color of the meniscus.

Overall I am quite happy. It looks excellent. This is much nicer than the one I previously had. The only thing I wish it had is a dew shield.

I still need a mount, but I will let you know how it preforms when I get one.

Edited by marax, 03 March 2018 - 06:10 PM.

• plyscope, nirvanix, psandelle and 4 others like this

#3 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:32 PM

Congratulations!

Are those ventilation holes in the back?

Please give us updates when you get some time observing with the scope. I would be very interested to hear how you find its performance.

Arizona Ken

#4 marax

marax

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:37 PM

Congratulations!

Are those ventilation holes in the back?

Please give us updates when you get some time observing with the scope. I would be very interested to hear how you find its performance.

Arizona Ken

They are collimation screws.

#5 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:07 PM

Congrats on the new scope.  Hope that you get to try it out real soon.

#6 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

The focuser seems quite smooth, and looks like a regular Celestron focus knob. This visual back is 2" and is nicely machined aluminum. The visual back also has a baffle.

Yes, the visual back isn't bad, but I still replaced it with a Clicklock.

The finderscope seems the nicest of the bunch. The coatings on the objective look quite nice. They have the same blue green color of the meniscus.

Well, mine works; that's about all I will say for it. The diagonal was out of collimation, and proved impossible to align. A good prism diagonal works wonders for planetary viewing. The eyepiece is serviceable. Then again, this scope makes any eyepiece look good.

One thing is the same with your scope: UPS' treatment of it. Glad it survived.

#7 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:50 AM

Glad Skywatcher was able to sort the issue out for you.I bought a used SW180 Mak mid last year, and it's become one of my most used scopes it's fantastic for Lunar and planetary viewing.  

#8 starbob1

starbob1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: IN

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:05 AM

Sure does look nice' Hope you can get out under the stars soon. And its great to see such great customer service from Skywachter. That says allot about them wanting to stand behind what they sell and help. 

• nirvanix likes this

#9 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

Yeah. Good news travels as fast as bad news does. Kudos to Skywatcher for stepping up on this one! If I want to get a mak, I now know who I'll be getting it from.

STARKID2U

#10 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

Glad you got it. It does amaze me what shipping companies can do to these things.

#11 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

I think this degree of abuse in shipping is standard for this scope. Mine arrived with the box in exactly the same condition. I actually thought for a minute I had posted that photo and had forgotten about it! Unfortunately, my scope was dented and had to be returned. Got another one though, shipped safe and sound.

#12 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

Single boxed?

#13 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

Single boxed?

Mine was.

#14 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

Single boxed?

Mine was.

I think the OP's was as well. It's beyond me why a $1000+ 18 lb optical device would be so packaged. Ive seen other scopes done this way. But even my Celestron OMNI XLT102 f6.5 was shipped as boxes within a box. OK. rant off.
The 180 looks like an awesome scope!

#15 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

Mine was a single boxed too, but very strange is why my package of 180mm Mak came with 2 eyepieces, one is 2" 9mm and the other one is 2" 20mm, i thought it is an old package, but mine came with those green dovetail and nice label so i assume it is a new batch, but i shouldn't be sad at all, 2 eyepieces is better than one anyway, 28mm is wide and maybe in my case they sent me 9mm to make my mind about planetary eyepiece. lol.gif grin.gif

#16 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:03 PM

Is there a thick foam insert to protect the scope in the single box?

Bill

#17 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:31 PM

Bill

There is, i will take a picture later if i can, 2 cardboards with thick foams on both sides of the scope, up and down of the scope inside the box.

#18 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:00 AM

Mine was a single boxed too, but very strange is why my package of 180mm Mak came with 2 eyepieces, one is 2" 9mm and the other one is 2" 20mm, i thought it is an old package, but mine came with those green dovetail and nice label so i assume it is a new batch, but i shouldn't be sad at all, 2 eyepieces is better than one anyway, 28mm is wide and maybe in my case they sent me 9mm to make my mind about planetary eyepiece. lol.gif grin.gif

The 28mm eyepiece that came with mine was a 2" eyepiece, but not very wide angle. The 20mm and 9mm that came with yours sounds usable.

#19 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:01 AM

The 28mm eyepiece that came with mine was a 2" eyepiece, but not very wide angle. The 20mm and 9mm that came with yours sounds usable.

It doesn't matter they are usable or not, even if that 28mm isn't usable, it is only about having 2 instead of one so i can see the difference, then i can replace both for better/higher quality, but if i have only one which is 28mm then it is difficult to compare it to what and if wanted to see how wider i can go or higher magnification, between 9mm and 20mm i can see the difference.

#20 marax

marax

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

Bill

This is how both of mine came.

20180318_090247.jpg

#21 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

This is how both of mine came.

Mine came without any foam on the "top" side of the scope. UPS took full advantage.

#22 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:16 PM

It doesn't matter they are usable or not, even if that 28mm isn't usable, it is only about having 2 instead of one so i can see the difference, then i can replace both for better/higher quality, but if i have only one which is 28mm then it is difficult to compare it to what and if wanted to see how wider i can go or higher magnification, between 9mm and 20mm i can see the difference.

An f15 scope makes any type of eyepiece look good. Seriously, you will like anything you try on it. Your Newt. is a different story.

• gene 4181 likes this

#23 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:59 PM

An f15 scope makes any type of eyepiece look good. Seriously, you will like anything you try on it. Your Newt. is a different story.

We will see, still didn't test my Mak and still waiting the Newt that i think it won't come with any eyepiece.

#24 cildastun

cildastun

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oxford, UK

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:00 AM

Mine came with a 20mm and a 10mm: the 20mm is half-decent and compares well with an 18mm BST, but the 10mm was fairly poor cpd with the Baader 10mm Ortho I normally use for this magnification.

The scope is very eyepiece-tolerant though, and even a cheap 8-24mm zoom works well enough with it.

Chris

#25 Ryan555_1

Ryan555_1

Messenger

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:31 AM

That is a beauty! Very sharp looking. It should do wonders on planets. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics