•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher Skymax 180 First look/impressions.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:25 PM

Must have been a bad scope, this thread seems to have died as fast as it showed up. 

Too bad.

...Ralph

#27 marax

marax

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:17 PM

Must have been a bad scope, this thread seems to have died as fast as it showed up. 

Too bad.

...Ralph

Couldn't tell you how the scope is, I haven't used it yet. I bought an iOptron ieq45 Pro mount it had and gear meshing issues. Sent it back to them for "repair" and it came back in the same shape as I sent it. I don't know how to get it fixed/adjusted so there it sits.

Edited by marax, 10 January 2020 - 09:18 PM.

#28 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:10 AM

I didn't post much in this site or forum for some reasons, but i am happy to use my 180mm Mak for the moon, although my planets images aren't that bad and many liked them but i will keep thinking that this scope is really amazing regardless my planets results, i got so **** sharp and beautiful results of the moon with this scope and i highly recommend it, and i saw others using it also for another great results, this forum is mostly using SCT and another type of scopes, so you won't see so many using 180mm Mak here or they don't post much from it.

#29 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:14 AM

Couldn't tell you how the scope is, I haven't used it yet. I bought an iOptron ieq45 Pro mount it had and gear meshing issues. Sent it back to them for "repair" and it came back in the same shape as I sent it. I don't know how to get it fixed/adjusted so there it sits.

Well, even if it has that issue you can try to use the Mak with it for short time, i remember i once used my Mak with my mount when it was damaged and not working, only placed it on the mount and i opened the clamps or whatever you call it and i used it manually, it was very difficult but i made it for very few results, yours isn't damage completely so it can be just fine for short time, otherwise you either return it back or live with the issue if you can't return, or find a replacement meshing or board if that was the issue, i just replaced the motherboard and it worked again like a charm for me, and i will try all my best to find those missing ot burnt items from the damaged motherboard so i can fix that one and keep it as a backup.

#30 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:45 AM

Its nice to see things are staying positive in the Mac World. For those trying to observe Jupiter and Saturn last year, 2019 was the worse year ever for planetary observing. Please don't blame it on the scope.
Hopefully this year will bring out the best in the Skymax 180.

Thanks for all who came back in to respond. I really believe this scope is the planetary sleeper that gets consistently overlooked because of its acclimating time. These are definitely not grab and go cassagrains, but honestly, any hot planetary telescope is not a grab and go, since scopes take time to immaculate. Even baby 4" refractors.

...Ralph

#31 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:45 PM

Its nice to see things are staying positive in the Mac World. For those trying to observe Jupiter and Saturn last year, 2019 was the worse year ever for planetary observing. Please don't blame it on the scope.

Thanks for all who came back in to respond. I really believe this scope is the planetary sleeper that gets consistently overlooked because of its acclimating time. These are definitely not grab and go cassagrains, but honestly, any hot planetary telescope is not a grab and go, since scopes take time to immaculate. Even baby 4" refractors.

...Ralph

I also think that 2019 wasn't better, all my planets results from 2018 are way better than 2019, and still i don't like them all compared to much larger scopes, but i think not every year it can be that great quality seeing then.

#32 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

• Loc: Southwest

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:04 AM

...Ralph

Yes, acclimate.

#33 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:12 PM

I said immaculate instead of acclimate, but that fits also.. maybe even better!!

...Ralph

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics