•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Showcase your PixInsight Workflows

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ribuck

ribuck

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Newcastle, England

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:08 AM

Hi All,

I want to do a poll of peoples work flows for both Narrowband(SII, Ha, OIII) and broadband (LRGB).

So why am i interested in doing this ? Simply put, on the internet there are many different processing workflows which all differ, so i want to see if there are any common themes that would allow me to take all of the best bits and combine them into a super workflow as it were.

Please keep it high level and in a numbered format 

E.g.

1. DBE

2. Linear Fit

3. Etc etc 

Thanks in advance,

Rich

• Akwilliams and liquidrum like this

#2 Akwilliams

Akwilliams

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

I’ll certainly be following this.   I’m still fumbling around in PI with no set workflow!   But for a start here’s mine

Dynamic crop

DBE on each Frame

Deconvolutiom on Ha or LUM

combine

DBE again

Stretch

Photometic 

Range Mask & alter curves on fore/background

Curves & Saturation

Shrink Stars

#3 ribuck

ribuck

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

Thanks AKWilliams,

Were off to a start and hopefull this is the start of my more to come. 

#4 biedie

biedie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overijse, Belgium

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

Hi,

On the last picture of M51 which I posted a few days ago, I was asked to give an overview of my Pixinsight workflow. You can find it here (post #14)

Bart

#5 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Viking 1

• Loc: Greater Atlanta Area, GA

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

I probably forgot a lot so this will be edited as needed bases;

For all masters separately;

• DynamicCrop
  • ABE or DBE or Both
  • Mask (which is slightly Convoluted)
  • CurvesTransformation or HistogramTransformation to adjust the lightens and to boost the contrast (separately to areas I try to protect and for the background)
  • MultiScaleLinearTransformation for noise reduction (separately to areas I try to protect and for the background)
  • StarMask + DeConvolution (if I get ringing, I'll skip this)

Make Masters nonlinear and combine them;

• ABE or DBE or Both
  • SCNR
  • BackgroundNeutralization (if it works)
  • Mask (which is slightly Convoluted)
  • Curves Transformation or HistogramTransformation to adjust the lightens and to boost the contrast (separately to areas I try to protect and for the background)
  • MultiScaleLinearTransformation for Noise reduction (separately to areas I try to protect and for the background)
  • StarMask + DeConvolution (if I get ringing, I'll skip this)
  • StarMask + MorphologicalTransformation to reduce the Star sizes
  • CurvesTransformation to boost the colors
  • ColorSaturation to boost the colors
  • HDRMultiscaleTransformation for the core
  • MultiScaleLinearTransformation or UnsharpMask for sharpening
  • Rotation and DynamicCrop if needed

I think my process has so far been pretty much the same for the NB and LRGB.

- Sal

Edited by Salacious B Crumb, 04 March 2018 - 02:46 PM.

#6 ribuck

ribuck

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

Thanks guys this is a great start. Keep them coming.

#7 G. Hatfield

G. Hatfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

RGB

I use Local Normalization and Drizzle Integration (scale = 1) in my preprocessing.

1.  Combine without linear fit

2.  Dynamic crop

3.  DBE or ABE (I try them both)

4.  Photometric color calibration

5.  If noisy, Multiscale MedianTransform noise reduction with a luminance mask

6.  Usually, use Masked Stretch, but I often give ArcsinhStetch a try too

7.  If noisy, use TGVDenoise (CIE) with a mask

9.  I might use STF/Histogram Transformation to lighten the image a bit

10.  SCNR

11.  Balance R, G and B histograms in HT (line up peaks)

12.  If stars are too bright use Morphologic Transform (erosion) with a range mask for bright stars and/or a star mask for the rest.

13.  Into Photoshop for additional processing

#8 ribuck

ribuck

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:58 PM

Surprised to see nobody using masked Stretch or LHE so far

#9 wimvb

wimvb

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

I do, if the image needs it.

Here's mine (LRGB imaging workflow). The exact workflow depends on the image, but generally includes the following steps in the order given.

RGB combination

Dynamic crop, RGB and L

DBE on RGB and on L

colour calibration, either the traditional method (background neutralisation, colour calibration), or PCC

Deconvolution (on L only), sometimes just targeting the stars. Not all images benefit from deconvolution, but it shrinks the stars a bit.

Noise reduction (Jon Rista's method), TGV and MMT

Stretching, Masked stretch or Arcsinh stretch on RGB, HT on L

Curve transform on RGB and L

HDRMT or LHE on L if needed

LRGBcombination

star reduction using MT

ACDNR or GreyCstoration noise reduction

• BenKolt and 1DegreeN like this

#10 ribuck

ribuck

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

Thanks all,

Keep them coming as this is proving to be very interesting.

#11 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:20 AM

for narrowband SHO, i just follow rick's tutorial from when he introduced the ColorMask script. 

https://pixinsight.c...hp?topic=7751.0

works pretty well i think.

a variant on this is to linear fit the OIII and SII to the Ha before beginning, which might let you more easily do alternate color balancing methods. i think rick was using unlinked STF -> HT to do the initial stretch, and if you want to use ArcSinH stretch or masked stretch you need to get the colors in the ballpark first (otherwise with the Ha in the green the RGB image usually just looks green.)

or, instead of linear fit, IIRC Vicent Peris had a SHO color balancing technique where he would just use ColorCalibration using the entire image as the white reference. that usually leads to a reasonable starting point for the color masking routine.

rob

#12 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:07 AM

I'm on a simplicity and no-NR diet these days. My current workflow:

Pre-Process (Manual)

Deconvolution (maybe)

DBE 

Combination (LRGBCombination for color, PixelMath for NB)

HistogramTransformation

Curves (maybe)

That's about all I do these days!

Some examples:

uG0xHPg.jpg

• psandelle, PI_CO100 and Merc like this

#13 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:07 AM

2jv1FGC.jpg

#14 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:08 AM

2h6Muji.jpg

#15 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Viking 1

• Loc: Greater Atlanta Area, GA

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

No noise reduction or sharpening at all Jon? That's impressive...

- Sal

#16 ribuck

ribuck

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

Any more processes to share. 

Would be grateful if we could keep this more about the processes rather than the resulting images.

Rich.

#17 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

- Sal

That is correct. I stopped doing noise reduction on most of my images around a year ago, and was experimenting with it a bit before that. I still do NR sometimes for some images, but I always process all of them without any NR or other heavy processing at least once. It forces you to work on your acquisition, and forces you to acquire more data to reduce noise in the most optimal manner: by integrating. 

I do get more integration these days, for sure. Most of my recent images are tens of hours across two or three narrow band channels. 

That said, when I do indeed do NR, it is pretty light. I usually only do one pass of TGV with a very high iteration count with a moderately heavy mask (which smooths out the mottling that can occur at lower counts), or a couple passes of heavily masked MMT. I should demonstrate with an image I recently printed, and did some MMT on.

• Salacious B Crumb likes this

#18 mherbik

mherbik

Vostok 1

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

manual preprocessing sometimes including local normalization sometimes not. I usually do Luminance with and without and compare.

Dynamic crop

DBE

combine rgb

Color calibration RGB(using photmetric calibration)

Decon Lum (possibly skip if cannot improve image)

with nonlinear mask noise reduction  using multiscale linear transform (same on Lum though more carefully)

stretch several different ways depending on image usually a small histogram stretch then masked or arcs stretch possibly both in small increments.

HDR multiscale transform

noise reduction if required usually to chrominance using TVGDnoise using mask and some experimentation

sharpening using range mask and Atrouswavelet transform

depending on image possibly local histogram equalization usually multiple times using small changes (0.10-0.15)

curves adjustment if required

dark structure enhance script if required.

morphalogical transformation for star reduction

resize change resolution to 300 dpi

#19 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:18 AM

- Sal

That is correct. I stopped doing noise reduction on most of my images around a year ago, and was experimenting with it a bit before that. I still do NR sometimes for some images, but I always process all of them without any NR or other heavy processing at least once. It forces you to work on your acquisition, and forces you to acquire more data to reduce noise in the most optimal manner: by integrating. 

I do get more integration these days, for sure. Most of my recent images are tens of hours across two or three narrow band channels. 

That said, when I do indeed do NR, it is pretty light. I usually only do one pass of TGV with a very high iteration count with a moderately heavy mask (which smooths out the mottling that can occur at lower counts), or a couple passes of heavily masked MMT. I should demonstrate with an image I recently printed, and did some MMT on.

May I ask, how do you acquire this data?

What I'm asking if you want to capture 20 hrs, is it better to use 1200 frames of 1 minute or 400 of 3 minutes?

#20 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:11 AM

- Sal

May I ask, how do you acquire this data?

What I'm asking if you want to capture 20 hrs, is it better to use 1200 frames of 1 minute or 400 of 3 minutes?

These were all with the ASI183MM Pro. It has smaller pixels, and a bit more read noise, than the ASI1600 I usually use. I used 10 minute subs at Gain 53, which is around 2.1e- read noise and 8500e- FWC., on an f/4 scope with a 150mm aperture.

• psandelle likes this

#21 BenKolt

BenKolt

Vanguard

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

I do, if the image needs it.

Here's mine (LRGB imaging workflow). The exact workflow depends on the image, but generally includes the following steps in the order given.

RGB combination

Dynamic crop, RGB and L

DBE on RGB and on L

colour calibration, either the traditional method (background neutralisation, colour calibration), or PCC

Deconvolution (on L only), sometimes just targeting the stars. Not all images benefit from deconvolution, but it shrinks the stars a bit.

Noise reduction (Jon Rista's method), TGV and MMT

Stretching, Masked stretch or Arcsinh stretch on RGB, HT on L

Curve transform on RGB and L

HDRMT or LHE on L if needed

LRGBcombination

star reduction using MT

ACDNR or GreyCstoration noise reduction

My PI workflow is ever evolving, but looking through wim's list I see that his closely matches mine.  However, the application of steps changes from image to image depending upon the circumstances.  Also, I have not played around much with ACDNR and GreyCstoration but may be evaluating them more in the future.

One thing that I've been introducing more and more into my workflow is applying more steps to individual calibrated frames prior to registration and integration.  I've had issues with bad gradients that shift during the night, and the result can be a complicated mess to remove after integration.  Sometimes I've been able to mitigate that by applying a low order ABE step to all frames prior to registration.  I've started experimenting using process and image containers, and this helps to automate the steps.  I don't do this all the time, but it's an example of how one can really expand the flexibility of PI.

Best Regards,

Ben

• starhunter50 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics