•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: NGC 2419

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:24 AM

Probably known better by its nickname the "Intergalactic Tramp" bestowed by Harlow Shapley in 1944, NGC 2419 is unusual among winter's deep-sky objects for many reasons.

Click here to view the article

#2 blc111

blc111

Explorer 1

• Loc: texas usa

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

Thanks Phil for the excellent sketch, star hopping directions and write-up for NGC 2419, an object I haven't viewed yet. Brad

#3 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

It looks like this is indeed a really tough challenge.

#4 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

It looks like this is indeed a really tough challenge.

Nah, not really. It depends heavily on the sky, though. I've seen it in a 2" f/17 refractor from a dark sky site without much trouble, and also in a 60mm finderscope at just 10x. At that low power, it really is quite challenging, but in the 2" at 30x, it's pretty straightforward. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

YIKES! This one's gona be interesting... My 36-inch scope goes operational late April (hope!). So I will hope to be able to see 2419 maybe, just maybe... as something more than a fuzzy? Nice and high for us Northerners, too! Thanks!  Tom

#6 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

YIKES! This one's gona be interesting... My 36-inch scope goes operational late April (hope!). So I will hope to be able to see 2419 maybe, just maybe... as something more than a fuzzy? Nice and high for us Northerners, too! Thanks!  Tom

With a 36", you should be able to resolve some stars - or perhaps many. On the very best nights, I can see a hint of mottling in my 12" at 200x, though this might be a sprinkling of foreground stars in front of the cluster or tiny groups of unresolved stars. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark 

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:08 PM

With a 36", you should be able to resolve some stars - or perhaps many. On the very best nights, I can see a hint of mottling in my 12" at 200x, though this might be a sprinkling of foreground stars in front of the cluster or tiny groups of unresolved stars. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark 

Yes, indeed. I'm all excited about the 36 and this will be a great test of its capability. Hoping the views will be... decadent!  [luxuriously, lavishly self-indulgent].  Tom

• Astrojensen likes this

#8 Rustler46

Rustler46

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:03 AM

Thanks Phil, for the interesting writeup and the challenge. I've only see this DSO one time, on April 21, 2011 in a dark sky before Moon rise, seeing fair to good. 

Celestron-11, f/6.3, 160X (11mm Nagler, T6)

Here's the note in my observing record:

Remote globular cluster in Lynx; mag. 10, ~5' dia., at end of line with 2 roughly 4th mag. stars; with close scrutiny can see around 1/2 dozen very faint stars; brighter glow in center

For the last 10 years I've been using a go-to mount. But I don't feel bad about that after using star atlas and finder 'scope for the previous 40+ years. My old neck and back appreciates the hi-tech help.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

Phil:

Thanks for the write up and for the challenge . They always add something extra special to an evening. 

This has not been a good month cloud-wise so my only chance at observing 2419 has been with the moon nearly full from an otherwise dark site. I was able to detect it with my 12.5 inch under the full moon,  i figure I should be able to see it from red zone backyard on a moonless night. 

The saga will continue. 

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics