•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Got a AT102 ED

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#126 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:03 PM

Interesting on the APM site still having "Lanthanum coated" on the 152ed with 2.5 inch focuser. The text in the listed product for the 152ed with the 3.7 inch focuser has the corrected text. I guess APM only corrected it on the 3.7 inch version. I will drop Markus an email about it as i have to ask him about another product question.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Maybe "lanthanum coated element" simply means it is a lanthanum element that is coated?

Dom Q.

• eros312 likes this

#127 drd715

drd715

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

Maybe "lanthanum coated element" simply means it is a lanthanum element that is coated?

Dom Q.

Could be a crossed descriptive meaning in language conversation. Working on the correction specific to the 2.5 inch focuser version descriptor -Dan-

From email 24 September.

"Date: 9/24/19 4:10 AM refractors

Dan

The 140 use FPL 53 plus Lanthan Glas as second Element

The 152 use FPL 51 plus Lanthan Glas as second Element

All lenses are broadband multicolored

There is nothing like Lanthan coating, this is nonsense

Viele grüsse, best regards

Markus Ludes"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • Bomber Bob likes this

#128 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:10 PM

OK so "lanthanum coated element"  means just that, a lanthanum element that is coated.  Ambiguity resolved, hopefully, unless anyone has any other interpretations or factual information.

Dom Q.

#129 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:46 PM

First Moon Shot:

I held my Samsung Galaxy S7 over the UO HD 9mm Orthoscopic (80x) -- yeah, that's a stable imaging platform!!

AT-102ED - Moon 20191205S7P004.jpg

Seeing was 7/10 with intermittent high thin cirrus strands.  Nowhere near what I could see.  But one thing you don't see -- false color.

In my achromatic refractors, all those very bright crescent-shaped crater walls would have a fringe of blue or violet; and, the Moon disk itself would have a pale yellow tint. It takes a lot of post-processing to remove it.  This AT image is straight from the phone.

Edited by Bomber Bob, Yesterday, 06:37 AM.

• punk35, stevew, daquad and 7 others like this

#130 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 02:30 PM

First Moon Shot:

I held my Samsung Galaxy S7 over the UO HD 9mm Orthoscopic (80x) -- yeah, that's a stable imaging platform!!

attachicon.gif AT-102ED - Moon 20191205S7P004.jpg

Seeing was 7/10 with intermittent high thin cirrus strands.  Nowhere near what I could see.  But one thing you don't see -- false color.

In my achromatic refractors, all those very bright crescent-shaped crater walls would have a fringe of blue or violet; and, the Moon disk itself would have a pale yellow tint. It takes a lot of post-processing to remove it.  This AT image is straight from the phone.

Bob,  I'd like to see a comparison with your 4" f/15 Edmund.  I see no false color with my Jaegers 4" f/15.5.  Glad to see the AT is performing as expected.

Dom Q.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#131 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted Yesterday, 02:42 PM

First Moon Shot:

attachicon.gif AT-102ED - Moon 20191205S7P004.jpg

HA!! you cannot fool me! that is an old Apollo image:-)  Seriously, that is pretty darn good for a cellphone snap.   Lots of fine detail in the higher contrast regions.   Glad that the scope is performing well.   I have been pretty impressed with what I have seen regarding the AT refractors.   Really looking forward to delivery of the AT80EDT.  I tend to favor longer focal length scopes, but I want to go to a dark sight with it and my 35 mm Pan to check out these 5°FOVs that Jon Issacs keeps talking about:-).  

Cheers!

JMD

• Bomber Bob likes this

#132 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted Yesterday, 06:05 PM

Bob,  I'd like to see a comparison with your 4" f/15 Edmund.  I see no false color with my Jaegers 4" f/15.5.

Dom, I don't keep the RAW images these days, just the post-processed ones.  Also, I don't make many Moon images.  But, I did some digging, and found this pair from 2014, made with the uber-cheap Orion StarShoot 2 camera.  These were made with my 1964 Royal Astro (branded Sears) 75mm F15 achromatic, and show RAW then post-processed images:

S6336 - Moon 20120412C02.jpg S6336 - Moon 20120412G02.jpg

My 1950s Edmund 4" F15 controls false color very well, but it's pretty obvious in this Jupiter image:

Edmund 4 - Jupiter (GRS) 20170131V06R01.jpg

As I got more experience with photo-shopping, I learned to clean up even the Dakin 4" F10 imagery:

Dakin 4 - Jupiter (Io Transit) 20170609V04AS21.jpg

#133 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted Yesterday, 07:37 PM

If the NWS forecast is correct, it'll be a solid week before I haul any more scopes outside.  Between clouds tonight, I focused on the Plato & Alpine Valley area.  Referencing the craterlet map, I definitely saw A & B as white dots against the gray.  I also saw the high point that juts from the East Wall Pit.  In fact, at times it looked like a hole in the black wall shadows.

2 - Crater PLATO Craterlets.jpg

In the brief moments of best seeing, the views at 300x were sharp & relatively bright -- didn't have to strain my eyes to see tiny features.

• Brollen, Xeroid and makeitso like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics