•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help choosing first vintage good quality microscope.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: 76707

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

I really don;t know were to start or what to look for.

Can't spend too much but a couple hundred is doable.

I really need some advice as to what to look for and what to stay away from.

I will be using it for everyday things for the most part.

Please chime in. 

Thanks in advance.

Russell

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:01 PM

If it's really for general use everyday things, a B&L Stereo (zoom if you can find it) is wonderful and friendly to use. AO also has some nice similar functions, but with click-stop incremented mags. Even ones 50-100 years old are superb, attractive and often less than $200. 7-80x is the typical mag range on these. For higher, one would go to a more traditional lab microscope. I would avoid newer microscopes made in China. They look glitzy... but are cheap mechanix and optics. Vintage, especially the older ones, are works of art.  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• MICROSCOPES.jpg

#3 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the input Tom.

I see a zeiss stereo for sale online but have no clue what my max should be.

Its $30.00 shipping to me. Its at the goodwill site.

https://www.shopgood...m/Item/49690401

Thoughts?

P.S. beautiful instruments. bow.gif

Edited by Russell Smith, 05 March 2018 - 09:38 PM.

#4 dusty99

dusty99

Vostok 1

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:10 PM

Russell:  What do you want to use the scope for?  How important is its performance?

#5 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:03 PM

Dusty, performance and looks are very important.

I will not be collecting vintage microscopes however I do want a vintage instrument that I can use for minerals and cell type study.

It will also be on display at times. available add on's and upgrades are a bonus. 

Quality and pleasing to the eye are important to me.

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the input Tom.

I see a zeiss stereo for sale online but have no clue what my max should be.

Its $30.00 shipping to me. Its at the goodwill site.

https://www.shopgood...m/Item/49690401

Thoughts?

P.S. beautiful instruments. bow.gif

That looks nice. Zeiss is indeed a great "professional" brand. The one you are looking at is not stereo, just both eyes. Which is fine. I think that is a lab scope, which may indeed be what you might want. Used stuff is always a risk; microscopes generally don't get broken, though. I've bought quite a few and have rarely been disappointed. Tom

#7 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

Thanks Tom, still don't know what it's worth, I guess whatever the winner is willing to pay. 

Thank you for letting me know it's not stereo.

Yes, I think a lab scope is what I would like.

I may need to up my budget. 

#8 dusty99

dusty99

Vostok 1

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:09 AM

I don't know that particular Zeiss, but it looks like a student scope.  As university labs upgrade a lot of used student scopes turn up.  If you can find something like an older Axiostar it will provide much better views.  Also look for a Leica DMLB (German - the new Chinese Leicas aren't as good), or an Olympus BH2.

#9 Blind as an Eagle

Blind as an Eagle

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

Here is some good information: 

http://micro.magnet....my/anatomy.html

BTW, what would you be using your microscope for? Viewing small objects?

If so, I concur re the Bausch & Lomb Stereo zoom models. Use only Bausch & Lomb or American Optical eyepieces (often sold separately, since they can be chosen according to user preference). 10 X Widefield is  typically the choice for general usage.

The StereoZoom models use 23 mm (diameter) eyepieces.

Magnification is determined by the power of the eyepieces, the objective lens, and zoom selection.

You should be  able to get a good Stereozoom or fixed power Stereopod, stand, and eyepieces fo less than $250.00

Check at this vendor's website, they are excellent to do business with, and always do a first class packing job, which can't be  said of many outfits. 

http://stores.ebay.c...7101&rmvSB=true

Type microscope into the "search store" box at upper left of their home page.

Good Luck, -BAAE-

#10 Blind as an Eagle

Blind as an Eagle

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:47 AM

This scope is a very good deal:

https://www.ebay.com...=item1a447f01b3

The boom arm alone is worth far more than the price of admission.

#11 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:55 PM

Thanks to everyone for your input so far.

I am still searching, no hurry.

Lots of reading and hopefully learning, after all that's my why I do it.

I had a microscope, telescope, and crazy chemistry set as a child (family friend was a chemist at a steel mill) and the microscope got much more of my time.

P.S. I only set the house on fire once.

#12 Foundationer

Foundationer

Sputnik

• Loc: Central US

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

I went through this as well. Did a lot of research and took my time looking for

what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay.

My choice ended up being a Bausch and Lomb Dynazoom monocular laboratory.

They are plentiful as are parts and accessories, the prices are all over the

map. I found mine on Ebay, albeit several years ago for 50 bucks. It was a little

bit rough cosmetically but all the parts were there and they all worked. Things I

watched for were an Abbe condenser with iris, a light or at least the hardware for it,

all stage parts present and a 4 objective turret. (objectives are plentiful, and I wanted

to upgrade to an oil objective sooner or later so I looked for a 4 ob turret with only 3

objectives currently mounted).

Funny thing about microscopes, they are a lot like telescopes! You can hang stuff

on "em till the cows come home! Different eyepieces, darkfield filters, oil objectives,

camera mounts and the list goes on.

Here's mine in its present state and working fine. I have a couple of hundred tops in it

with extra eyepieces, filters and such.

My advice would be do your homework and if your handy don't be scared of an

ugly duckling if it is all there and cheap, could be a swan underneath!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180317_134402.jpg
  • 20180317_134431.jpg

• Starman27 likes this

#13 bumm

bumm

Vanguard

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

I very recently picked up this old Spencer.  This might be older than you'd want to go, but the quality is excellent, and I'm getting wonderful views.  smile.gif It has a 1906 patent, probably circa about 1910.  It's replacing the old circa 1926 Baush and Lomb Student Microscope behind it, which is a good scope, but only has spaces for 2 objectives and no condenser if I'd decide to use higher powers sometime.  I got tired of screwing different objectives in and out when one of the two wasn't quite right.  As far as why I went THIS old...  long story.

My only real interest is microscopic pond life, and I've got three objectives on this thing that work very well for that.  The extremely low power objective, the little stubby thing, (I'll have to try and figure out the magnification, has an FOV of maybe 6mm and a working distance of about 2 inches, and works great as a "finder scope," and also perfect for larger creatures such as Planaria or Hydras.  The other two objectives give me magnifications of 100x and 200x with my 10x eyepiece.  These have proven to be perfect for me.  An objective giving around 400x is very common on these,, as is an oil immersion one giving 900 plus, but I seldom need the higher powers for my interests, and I'd already bought the LOW power and 20x objectives for the old B&L.  Objective threads have been standardized for a long time, so you can buy and use what you want.

I paid 160 for my old Spencer, which hurt just a bit, and I have to confess, looks were important.  (again, long story.)  Some years ago, I paid a little under 40 for the Baush and Lomb behind it on impulse.

Marty

Attached Thumbnails

• my pics  (1).jpg

#14 Microscopy

Microscopy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:35 PM

My advice is to stay away from pretty much everything that is made later than the 1980's...

That's the period when even the "big four" started having their entry level microscopes made by Meiji, Motic etc. as cheap as possible.

I'm old fashioned no doubt, but IMHO a microscope is made from cast iron, steel, bronze and glass. No plastics allowed, unless ab-so-lutely necessary and even then as little as possible.

Cast aluminum if really, really, really necessary, but I wont go any further than that.

I don't have much problems around here to find a decent second-hand microscope in basic configuration (monocular, 4, 10, 40, 100 achromats, abbe 1.2 condenser) in reasonable condition for some 50 Euro's.

These are some of the entry level or a bit more microscopes I bought the last couple of years. The Leitz SM was 40 Euro's, The Lomo MBR-1 40 Euro's, the Olympus CHC was 75 Euro's. The Reichert was more expensive as it was a binocular and equipped for phase. The Zeiss Standard 14 was a great deal (some 200 Euro's if memory serves me right including two KPL eyepieces and 5 planachromats). The Zeiss GFL was 40 Euro's, The PZO Studar 80, the OIP stand ... I don't remember. A few Euro's.

Nieuw-2-crop.jpg

Edited by Microscopy, 16 September 2018 - 03:58 PM.

• Mike E. likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics