•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M42 Trapezium Core

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JoeR

JoeR

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:09 PM

"In my experience there's no such thing as luck" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

I don't care for the term "lucky imaging" I prefer to call it the brute force approach. This was the result of video captures one second exposures with FireCapture and the ASI1600MM. 500 frames each filter I used 300 frames for Luminance & Red & 150 for Green & blue. I split them into individual images, applied darks, and auto aligned & stacked with Nebulosity. I did two stacks with an without darks and noticed there was an improvement in eliminating banding noise so the effort was worthwhile. I ended up not using much of the luminosity layer the red channel data proved to be more useful for that. Processed in PixInsight & Photoshop CC.

The Trapezium for of M42

Celestron C14 & f/7 2465mm

Astro-Physics 1100GTO

ASI1600MM-c & Orion 1.25" filters

M42-Trapezium.jpg

Edited by JoeR, 06 March 2018 - 07:29 PM.

• PrestonE, Gregory, starbob1 and 27 others like this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Gemini

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

Beautiful. I did a very similar image in Halpha with 0.1sec exposures with the ASI1600MM last week. Wish I'd done full colour now!

#3 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:34 PM

Very impressive! 

John

#4 Real14

Real14

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Luis Potosi, Mexico

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

Great Image. You got the six stars waytogo.gif

#5 starbob1

starbob1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: IN

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:49 PM

So thats what it looks like. Nice

#6 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

This image looks flat and dull lacking contrast. It gives the impression that there is a lot of dust overlying the bright inner region, but the dust lanes and clouds are indistinct and not very well defined. I think the image has a lot more work needed.  

#7 neaptide

neaptide

Viking 1

• Loc: NY

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Great job!! You don’t see many images that show the E & F stars so clearly let alone the other background stars that you were able to capture. 

Edited by neaptide, 06 March 2018 - 03:38 PM.

• Real14 likes this

#8 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:04 PM

Joe R....

I want to join the group that is giving you a thumbs up on this image....

Don't know where HarryRik9 is "coming from"... but i guess we all have our own opinions.

So Harry... i will be anxiously awaiting your posting of your image (different thread of course) showing better contrast, and definition !!

I have imaged this target many times, and i understand how difficult it is to get the "trap" is display all of its stars...

Not an easy task!  Not at all.

Well done Joe R.

#9 spokeshave

spokeshave

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:31 PM

This image looks flat and dull lacking contrast. It gives the impression that there is a lot of dust overlying the bright inner region, but the dust lanes and clouds are indistinct and not very well defined. I think the image has a lot more work needed.

Anyone who has tried to image the trapezium knows how difficult it is to completely resolve the E and F stars and to completely bring out G, H1, H2 and I in the same image. This one is very beautifully and skillfully done, and your typical snarky aesthetic remarks demonstrate very clearly how little you understand of the challenge.

My apologies to everyone else for rising to the bait, but some things needs to be said.

Tim
  • PrestonE, Mark9473, Gregory and 2 others like this

#10 Real14

Real14

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Luis Potosi, Mexico

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

Anyone who has tried to image the trapezium knows how difficult it is to completely resolve the E and F stars and to completely bring out G, H1, H2 and I in the same image. This one is very beautifully and skillfully done, and your typical snarky aesthetic remarks demonstrate very clearly how little you understand of the challenge.

My apologies to everyone else for rising to the bait, but some things needs to be said.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I totally agree with you. It is the second time I read such a comment from the same person. Looks like he has a monitor adjustment problem as I explained before and he seems not to be able to resolve it. It is the best resolution image I have seen from the Orion Nebula center.

There is a lot of detail in the dust clouds and his comment

lot of dust overlying the bright inner region

seems to confirm a too bright monitor. I understand that as if he sees it through an milky acrylic glass sheet and for me that is sign of wrong monitor adjustment, but OK what can we do.

Rainer

#11 NorthField

NorthField

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

( ignore him )

#12 Narrowbandpaul

Narrowbandpaul

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Constrained by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

Away and take yer meds Harry. Cracking picture that display nicely on my tablet

• happylimpet likes this

#13 JoeR

JoeR

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

Thanks guys through the eyepiece I can easily resolve stars E & F with my C14 much better than all my previous optics. I wasn't even aware of stars G H1 & H2 until I attempted this target. We had strong winds from the nor'easter come through here just before so it must have cleared out the atmosphere pollutants and gave me a nice clear window.

#14 happylimpet

happylimpet

Gemini

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

Harry appears dull and lacks interest. He gives the impression of having a lot of dust between his ears, knowing only how to snipe and criticise yet apparently lacking any skill or positive attributes himself.

I think the man needs a hug.

• Real14 and G. Hatfield like this

#15 2ghouls

2ghouls

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

Congrats! That's a really great photo and is one of few I've seen of the trapezium that brings out some of the detail I've seen visually of the region on nights with excellent seeing. Very nicely done!

#16 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

Wow, that is beautifully resolved, great image!

Never have obtained such a good focus as you show here,

great job!

Very hard not to blow out the core and you nailed it :waytogo:

#17 nucdoc

nucdoc

Explorer 1

• Loc: Toronto

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:46 PM

Very impressive

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics