•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Seldom Seen" Collection

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:26 PM

Most of us probably have some collection of eyepieces that we keep on the side, oddballs, special to us in some way.  For me these are eyepieces I just find interesting in one way or another, and I like to on occassion go into the box where I keep them to have some fun observing with them for a change of pace.  Some of them are quite good and I will call them into service for a stretch, depending on the scope and the mission.  Anyway, was talking to Daniel Mounsey recently about some older eyepieces from times past and that got me motivated to dip into my box of special keepers.  Would be interesting to see the "Seldom Seens" of others. smile.gif

Seldom Seen Eyepieces.jpg

Here's what is pictured.  Row 1 is the back, Row 4 is the front.  Eyepiece numbers are from left to right.

ROW 1

EP1 - Gary Russell 55mm Konig XL; a special build he did for me.

EP2 - Probably a 40 or 42mm Erfle.  No markings.  Good views!  Found on a surplus shelf in Gary Hand's store.

EP3 - 40mm Meade 3000 Plossl

EP4 - 35mm Orion Ultrascopic

EP5 - 32mm University Optics Konig II (widest TFOV of any 1.25" eyepiece)

EP6 - Rini 30mm Plossl (Paul considers this his best offering)

ROW 2

EP1 - Bino pair 25mm Sterling Plossl

EP2 - Bino pair 25mm Sterling Plossl

EP3 - Edmund 1 1/8" Plossl (this is a "true" Plossl design and has the floating view like the 28 RKE)

EP4 - Edmind 28 RKE (famous for its floating in space view as the housing virtually vanishes from sight)

EP5 - Vite Aspheric 23mm (super inexpensive, some plastic lenses, but they perform quite nice and weigh nothing)

EP6 - Vite Aspheric 10mm

EP7 - Vite Aspheric 4mm

ROW 3 (planetaries)

EP1 - Couture 6mm Ball Singlet (Steve Courture built a few of these for folks.  Highest contrast eyepiece period!)

EP2 - Paolini 4mm Ball Singlet (mounted a 4mm Ball lens into an old Edmund Ortho I had)
EP3 - 5mm super secret planetary (exceeds performance on my 5XO!  Never left prototype stage of manufacturer)

EP4 - 6mm super secret planetary (gnat's hair close to matching 6 ZAO-II. Never left prototype stage of manufacturer)

ROW 4 (vintage)

EP1 - 100+ year old brass Huygens eyepiece (courtesy of Richard Day of Skylight Telescopes in UK)

EP2 - 100+ year old brass Huygens eyepiece (courtesy of Richard Day of Skylight Telescopes in UK)
EP3 - Edmund all metal build Ramsden eyepiece, 1" FL, 60+ degree AFOV

EP4 - Edmund all metal build Ramsden eyepiece, 1/2" FL, 30-40 degree AFOV
EP5 - Edmund all metal build Ramsden eyepiece, 1/4" FL, 30-40 degree AFOV

EP6 - 20mm Ramsden eyepiece, Japan, quality build, .965 barrel

EP7 - 12mm Huygens eyepiece, Japan, quality build, .965 barrel

EP8 - 8mm Huygens eyepiece, Japan, quality build, .965 barrel

EP9 - 5mm Huygens eyepiece, Japan, quality build, .965 barrel

Edited by BillP, 06 March 2018 - 02:05 PM.

• Daniel Mounsey, Mike B, JIMZ7 and 17 others like this

#2 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:18 PM

Hi, Bill.

That 32mm University Optics König II seems to be a real keeper. Do you still remember when you got it? In the late 90's?

• Daniel Mounsey likes this

#3 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:46 PM

Not sure if late 90's or early 2000's.  The one pictured is my 3rd one.  So it came and left the stall a number of times.  So the one in the picture I managed to find online used maybe 2-3 years ago and snatched it up.  Love that eyepiece!  Also enjoy mating it with high power Barlow to get to planetary focal lengths as it puts up a really nice and comfortable view for that.  It and the Edmund 1-1/8" and RKE are the real favs of the bunch.

• rogeriomagellan likes this

#4 Pezdragon

Pezdragon

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bay Area, Ca.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

Some of my semi -retired eyepieces...

38 mm M6A1 elbow telescope eyepiece remounted in 2" barrel

28mm Gailand Ortho

27mm binocular Kellner from Dobson in the sixties with homemade 1.25" adapter

16.3 mm good old bad Galoc

10.2 University ortho

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Daniel Mounsey and Paul Morow like this

#5 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

I love this Bill. Just make dang sure a 28 RKE is on the table and it is grin.gif . Definitely in my top 10 list of favorite eyepieces of all time. So, what have I acquired recently that I really like and that’s an interesting collection there btw.  I just got hold of these Japanese smooth side volcano top Meade 20mm plossl and 13.8 super wide because I love small, light weight eyepieces. Also I made a point to include the new 17.5 Morpheus. I got a few more goodies I’ll find.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6C4A87C6-B24C-4BD8-A398-AC56899A6AFD.jpeg

Edited by Daniel Mounsey, 06 March 2018 - 10:51 PM.

• JakeJ, Edrow10 and Paul Morow like this

#6 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:06 PM

This eyepiece I love. In the f8 fracs the Milky Way is stunning. 

Attached Thumbnails

• FC857549-8A0D-49C2-9965-2F1336EF1D9D.jpeg

• Jaimo!, Jim Curry, John O'Hara and 2 others like this

#7 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

These are smooth barrels I love.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8196B92A-1A45-470A-BF84-C8D5A29D5BA6.jpeg

• Jim Curry likes this

#8 eastwd

eastwd

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:47 AM

Bill, can you share more information about those 5mm and 6mm “super secret planetary” eyepiece prototypes you mentioned above? Wondering who the manufacturer was and why no runs of them were ever produced for sale to the public. Thanks.

Larry

#9 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:55 AM

Thanks Bill!

Loved the group photo.... that row 4, with the old Edmund Ramsdens... that was where i came into this marvelous pursuit as a young teen. I think Neil had just walked on Luna, and these Ramsdens were commonly shipped with Edmund's scopes, like my 4-1/4" F10 Newt.

Good times... good glass.

waytogo.gif

• rogeriomagellan likes this

#10 starbase25

starbase25

Apollo

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:50 AM

That's odd looking!, (But I like it).  Where did that come from if you don't mind me asking. 

#11 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

From a friend I observed with long ago. 

#12 Kent10

Kent10

Soyuz

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

The Leitz 30mm is also one of my favorites.  It does have some field curvature and I don't like it in my 16.5" F3.7 which has too large an exit pupil anyway for my eyes.  I also have the tall version which does have a very flat field.  This is the only one in existence.  Unfortunately, the eye lens is plastic and it has many fine scratches on it.  I get some flaring of brighter stars and the view is dimmer than the regular Leitz.  But I still enjoy the flatter FOV and the FOV is larger than the regular Leitz and Nagler 31mm.

Daniel, I remember you liked the silver shell Leitz better than the other versions of the Leitz.  Do you really think there is a difference?

Attached Thumbnails

• PC236458 - Copy (Large).jpg

• Daniel Mounsey and rogeriomagellan like this

#13 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Apollo

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

ohmy.png

#14 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

Bill, can you share more information about those 5mm and 6mm “super secret planetary” eyepiece prototypes you mentioned above? Wondering who the manufacturer was and why no runs of them were ever produced for sale to the public. Thanks.

Sorry, but cannot as proprietary to the maker and they have not given me permission.  They may some day still produce them, maybe just waiting for the right timing.  But frankly, am not sure of the relevance any more with things like the Vixen HRs and Tak TOEs which finally take more complex designs to the planetary level of a classic minimum glass eyepiece.  Of course, if they could produce them for half the street price of the Vixen or Tak, then would be relevant!  4mm, 5mm, 6mm, and 7mm would be nice.

Edited by BillP, 07 March 2018 - 09:30 AM.

#15 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:32 AM

...I just got hold of these Japanese smooth side volcano top Meade 20mm plossl and 13.8 super wide because I love small, light weight eyepieces. ...

Wow...that little 13.8mm is really cool!  Will be interesting to hear how well it works in your f/8 Apos.

#16 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

...I just got hold of these Japanese smooth side volcano top Meade 20mm plossl and 13.8 super wide because I love small, light weight eyepieces. ...

Wow...that little 13.8mm is really cool!  Will be interesting to hear how well it works in your f/8 Apos.

Bill,

I owned the whole set of both of them.  The Widefield Meades had edge of field astigmatism, like the TeleVue Widefields they were modeled after.

They were very nice at f/8 or longer, but pretty poor in f/7 down, so a good match to the f/8 scopes (even better at f/10).

I tried them in an f/6 newtonian and most of the outer field looked like a flock of seagulls.

#17 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:46 PM

Thanks.  Why I try to keep my refractors at f/8...not so many eyepiece worries grin.gif

Edited by BillP, 07 March 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#18 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

The Leitz 30mm is also one of my favorites.  It does have some field curvature and I don't like it in my 16.5" F3.7 which has too large an exit pupil anyway for my eyes.  I also have the tall version which does have a very flat field.  This is the only one in existence.  Unfortunately, the eye lens is plastic and it has many fine scratches on it.  I get some flaring of brighter stars and the view is dimmer than the regular Leitz.  But I still enjoy the flatter FOV and the FOV is larger than the regular Leitz and Nagler 31mm.

Daniel, I remember you liked the silver shell Leitz better than the other versions of the Leitz.  Do you really think there is a difference?

They are exactly the same as you suggested but the silver model has some very special history to me. Interestingly, Don Pensack and I evaluated one and it's true that the coatings do reflect internally compared to modern wide-fields and they are not corrected for AMD like some current wide-fields, but in my long fracs it is a stunning performer. IMO, the key is matching the scope and eyepiece together. 

• Starman1 and Astrojensen like this

#19 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

Bill,

I owned the whole set of both of them.  The Widefield Meades had edge of field astigmatism, like the TeleVue Widefields they were modeled after.

They were very nice at f/8 or longer, but pretty poor in f/7 down, so a good match to the f/8 scopes (even better at f/10).

I tried them in an f/6 newtonian and most of the outer field looked like a flock of seagulls.

Don is right, but in my case I'll be using it at F8 and F10. 

#20 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

Thanks.  Why I try to keep my refractors at f/8...not so many eyepiece worries grin.gif

Bill,

I don't think eyepieces with edge correction matter with Don anyway because he'll see 20th magnitude galaxies whether there's an eyepiece in the focuser or not. grin.gif

Edited by Daniel Mounsey, 07 March 2018 - 06:55 PM.

• Astrojensen likes this

#21 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

2n0r346.jpg  I guess this is not that rare.

#22 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

Don is right, but in my case I'll be using it at F8 and F10.

Very true...Don is the DSG (Deep Sky Guru).  I try to see with my mind's eye too...but when I close my eyes I usually fall asleep lol.gif

• Daniel Mounsey and Astrojensen like this

#23 starbase25

starbase25

Apollo

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

No, I mean who makes it? I've never seen one like that before. 

How do you like it?

#24 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:23 PM

No, I mean who makes it? I've never seen one like that before. 

How do you like it?

LEITZ, it is right on the side of the eyepiece...  Who began making microscopes, then became LEItz CAmera or Leica.

#25 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:35 PM

I love this Bill. Just make dang sure a 28 RKE is on the table and it is grin.gif . Definitely in my top 10 list of favorite eyepieces of all time. So, what have I acquired recently that I really like and that’s an interesting collection there btw.  I just got hold of these Japanese smooth side volcano top Meade 20mm plossl and 13.8 super wide because I love small, light weight eyepieces. Also I made a point to include the new 17.5 Morpheus. I got a few more goodies I’ll find.

I have the 24.5mm and the 2" 40mm of those.  Both great eyepieces in a SCT - in a fast newt, not so much.  

I think they were designed to use in SCT's and help them get a wider fov.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics