•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

how often do you have trouble unscrewing something

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

For astro equipment, there are so many parts that connect together by threads. Some of them are thin and don't have great grip surfaces. I can't think of the number of times I had two parts threaded together but I was unable to remove them easily. 

Some solutions I've come across for unscrewing them

1) Using two strap wrenches around two cylindrical surfaces if they're thick enough. 

2) Putting rubber bands around two different cylindrical surfaces to provide better grip and twisting with arms.

3) Using a wrench over a rubber band on a smooth surface plus a strap wrench to grip the other surface.

4) Using two nuts on a screw (without a head) that I'm trying to remove. Top nut pushes down on bottom nut, then use a wrench on the bottom nut.

5) Removing a lens filter from a lens by pushing the lens down on a yoga mat and turning.

6) Putting two alan wrenches into two pre-drilled holes on the surface of what I'm trying to unscrew and turning the alan wrenches together so they provide resistance for each other

7) WD-40 (never seemed to work for me)

There are just so many parts that screw into other parts and I'm positively exhausted trying to unscrew them...

what were your techniques?

Edited by joelin, 06 March 2018 - 03:18 PM.

#2 Joe1950

Joe1950

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South New Jersey

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

Been there. There is still the front corrector assembly of an older ETX90 that I can't budge no matter what I do. It isn't rusted or anything, just won't move. I had to reposition the secondary baffle and ended up taking the corrector lens itself out to do the fix. 

The assembly is screwed on the main tube and Arnold Schwarzenegger couldn't get it to budge. 

• ShaulaB and BLACKDRAGON like this

#3 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Skylab

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

I particularly hate the tiny allen head screws.  I once stripped a couple heads and the only solution I could come up with was gluing an allen wrench to the stubborn screw.  Wasn't about to even attempt drilling it out as it was too close to the corrector.

• Joe1950 and alstarjoey like this

#4 Joe1950

Joe1950

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South New Jersey

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

In my scope room, I have a whole hardware store somewhere in the carpet. Including those micro allen screws.

• Agatha and BLACKDRAGON like this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

On the BIG side... My (24-foot diameter) Observatory Dome has identically-phased drive motors on both the N and S sides. They have friction clutches and work together to rotate the dome. That way, it's like turning a steering wheel with both hands... yields pure torque about the center, without any unintended side force. Well, one day a set-screw on the high-torque output end of one (just one) of the gear boxes had loosened up. Both motors are humming... but the dome isn't rotating! It took me an entire day to realize what it was. The fix took one minute, and all is well again.  Tom

• havasman and clearwaterdave like this

#6 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Viking 1

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

The Atik EFW2 has tiny allen screws to hold the camera adapter dovetail. These screws have been a progressive nightmare as I hunted around in a hole 3/4" deep with an allen key whose size was initially undetermined. Whilst embedded screws are neat I decided to tap the entire hole with a 6/32 UNC thread. I now use a full size allen screw for each of the 2 holes. I can now get at the screws without cursing!smile.gif

I now also use messy aluminium anti-seize grease on all my connectors wherever possible. This prevents galling & makes my threads much easier to work with. I've even given my Celestron RASA camera locking ring this treatment. My RASA had to go back to Celestron because this ring without lubricant locked & stripped the threads on the OTA side- not good. The RASA was fixed under warranty- it must have cost Celestron a fortune to fix as it had to go back to the USA from England. I'm very surprised that Celestron have put such a vulnerable threading system on the RASA camera assembly.shocked.gif

Edited by pyrasanth, 06 March 2018 - 04:08 PM.

#7 rms40

rms40

Ranger 4

• Loc: Georgetown, TX

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

You don't want to get this on glass surfaces, but PB Blaster works great. Only product I ever found that actually worked on stuck threads.

Randall

#8 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

I had a 1.25" Ha filter get stuck in an adapter for a night vision objective last year. I could unscrew the adapter from the objective, but nothing would loosen the filter trapped in the adapter, including those rubber jar lid grips. It was so bad that I ended up buying another filter so I could use it in a 1.25" nosepiece.  ScopeStuff came to the rescue, again, with these nifty filter wrenches.  

• havasman, TOMDEY, ChrisMoses and 1 other like this

#9 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

I had a 1.25" Ha filter get stuck in an adapter for a night vision objective last year. I could unscrew the adapter from the objective, but nothing would loosen the filter trapped in the adapter, including those rubber jar lid grips. It was so bad that I ended up buying another filter so I could use it in a 1.25" nosepiece.  ScopeStuff came to the rescue, again, with these nifty filter wrenches.  

YIKES! Honest, Doug... I had the Exact same thing happen. In my case, the adapter plus 1.25 H-alpha were both hopelessly stuck on. [I had extra identical Night Visions, filters and adapters... so didn't matter]. Then one night, six months later, I just casually/absentmindedly twisted on it... and the entire thing screwed off (both sides) no problem at all. Ever since, I screw them together VERY LOOSELY.  Tom

• Doug Culbertson likes this

#10 wpilon

wpilon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

I had a terrible time getting the jamb nut on my 7mm Deluge loose to adjust the eye relief. After I thought about it I realized I had tightened it while I was outdoors in the 30 degree cold. When I brought the e.p. Inside and it warmed it expanded and jammed. I actually wound up putting it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so, then it was no problem.

#11 Whuppy

Whuppy

Viking 1

• Loc: Ortonville, MI

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

Adapters can be the hardest. My wife saw me struggling with trying to separate 2 pieces that were stuck. She went to the kitchen drawer, handed me one of those big rubber disks you might use to get the lid off a jar of pickles, came apart first attempt.

Edited by Whuppy, 07 March 2018 - 08:16 AM.

#12 KenPresley

KenPresley

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:01 PM

"how often do you have trouble unscrewing something"

That depends on how badly I screwed it up.

• Jon Isaacs, havasman, Cometeer and 1 other like this

#13 jpbutler

jpbutler

Viking 1

• Loc: Edison, NJ

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

this

https://www.aquapure...aMaAvx_EALw_wcB

Edited by jpbutler, 07 March 2018 - 09:13 PM.

#14 rowdy388

rowdy388

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:30 PM

Not in astronomy but a lot when working on my car, especially when I'm upside down

under my car trying to get the oil filter off going the wrong way.

• Joe1950 likes this

#15 rogue river art

rogue river art

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Grants Pass,Oregon

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

This just may be the worse screw and nut problem. While in my working years I worked for the LA Dept of Water an Power in Ca. While dismantling steam turbines we had to use 10 ton chain come alongs,50 ton hyd. jacks and 16 lb. hammers to remove the nuts holding the turbine cases together. Lots of times a welder had to cut the nuts in half to remove them. Probably the biggest nut I've ever been around was myself.

• Jon Isaacs and Joe1950 like this

#16 Michael2

Michael2

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:15 AM

This just may be the worse screw and nut problem. While in my working years I worked for the LA Dept of Water an Power in Ca. While dismantling steam turbines we had to use 10 ton chain come alongs,50 ton hyd. jacks and 16 lb. hammers to remove the nuts holding the turbine cases together. Lots of times a welder had to cut the nuts in half to remove them. Probably the biggest nut I've ever been around was myself.

You do know that it is " Lefty loosey, Righty tighty " don't you? lol.gif

Edited by Michael2, 10 March 2018 - 05:18 AM.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#17 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:49 AM

Forget WD40, it was designed for water displacement, hence the "WD". Get some Kroil and a needle oiler. Significantly better penetrating oil. 

B

#18 beanerds

beanerds

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:37 AM

In my scope room, I have a whole hardware store somewhere in the carpet. Including those micro allen screws.

Yep those ' Jesus Christ ' pieces ,,,  spring loaded to the MAX !

Jesus Christ where did that go ? 

Personally tho , I did a sweep of my shed's floor the other week and found many strange parts in the sweeping's that were not mime , hmmm .

Beanerds 

Edited by beanerds, 10 March 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#19 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

Several years ago I was all set to do a hypertune on my CGEM. I had gotten the kit from Ed Thomas and was all studied up. Foiled from the get-go when the retaining housing around he counterweight bar wouldn't budge even though I tried everything including a deal to sell my soul to the devil. Wound up I had to hire a machinist to brutalize it off which necessitated manufacturing another one. You can see that it lacks the fine finish of the original but it works!

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• sized_PICT4432.JPG

#20 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:04 AM

Most camera stores carry 'lens filter wrenches' that are used to remove stubborn filters or spacers stuck on the front of camera lenses. They are thin semi-circular metal or plastic rings with a high friction surface and a pair of handles for gripping.
I just bought a set made by Neewer from an online vendor. They come in various sizes.

#21 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:19 AM

Several years ago I was all set to do a hypertune on my CGEM. I had gotten the kit from Ed Thomas and was all studied up. Foiled from the get-go when the retaining housing around he counterweight bar wouldn't budge even though I tried everything including a deal to sell my soul to the devil. Wound up I had to hire a machinist to brutalize it off which necessitated manufacturing another one. You can see that it lacks the fine finish of the original but it works!

Michael

I just started hypertuning my CGEM. I've run into a few problems, mainly removing threaded collars. One thing that has come in handy is a butane mini-torch that Ed recommended. Not sure if the heat is causing the parts to expand, thus allowing them to loosen, or if the heat is softening the glue that Celestron used on the collars and set screws, or if it's a combination of both effects, but I got it all apart; just took longer than I'd anticipated.
I'm glad I did. I found 2 of the large bearing sets were slightly damaged, causing them to be rather stiff. Luckily the replacement bearings are readily available and inexpensive.
Ed has been very responsive to my emails for guidance. That's good customer service.

Edited by KLWalsh, 11 March 2018 - 12:22 AM.

#22 rogue river art

rogue river art

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Grants Pass,Oregon

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:26 PM

You do know that it is " Lefty loosey, Righty tighty " don't you? lol.gif

Now you tell me.

#23 rms40

rms40

Ranger 4

• Loc: Georgetown, TX

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally bought a "Cannon Plug" wrench after having adapters that were hand tightened end up stuck so tightly that I just could not unscrew them. This works great on the short adapters that we have to add to cameras to get the correct spacing. Those things somehow just won't budge after awhile. The plastic grips won't mar  the edges like regular pliers. I used foam type grips in the past but these can tear up and slip. The plastic is working well.

Randall

#24 entilza

entilza

Gemini

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:19 PM

Something simple as tape can get two adapters off easily.. Tape the two together and unscrew, works so well. Even simple tape as painters tape, amazing how the total friction adds up.

#25 jpbutler

jpbutler

Viking 1

• Loc: Edison, NJ

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

when all else fails:

Attached Thumbnails

• AGV15-125XE grinder.jpg

• NMBob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics