•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SICK OF CLOUDY NIGHT - THE WEATHER THAT IS...

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

I have not been able to get ANYTHING done in more than a MONTH.... 

I am getting sick of the forecast. I have two mosaics that I want to finish while Orion and the Cone nebula are not blocked by my backyard trees and the weather is just NOT cooperating...

Sorry for the rant, but I have already processed every scrap of old data I have and even completely reprocess some previous data. I keep wanting to get some progress and nada... I guess I will just have to buy something new - of course that will just curse me with more cloudy nights...

Well now I feel better...

• mumbles, GA-HAMAL, ghostboo and 3 others like this

#2 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Apollo

• Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

pfff been like that the whole summer here :(

normally we would get hot dry NW winds here in Christchurch and that means hot days and clear nights and v low humidity 

but not this summer - been NE-N winds off the Pacific - Hot days - humid and as soon as its dark the cloud rolls in thick and low off the ocean. 

Even had fog in the middle of summer and 25c !

Cooler days now and looks like we might get some clearer nights 

I hope 

but having bought a CEM120 .. building an obs and added a second scope to pier 2 ... I feel like I am flipping the bird to the cloud gods!

fingers crossed ... :)

• happylimpet, cfosterstars and ghostboo like this

#3 NorthField

NorthField

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:39 PM

Waitin sucks

☹️

( if you don’t have one, I could ups my chainsaw to ya )

#4 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

The last three nights here have been outstanding. The view of the Venus and Mercury conjunction was breathtaking. To end the streak, we are getting somewhere between 2 and 12 inches of snow overnight.

#5 auroraTDunn

auroraTDunn

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

For me its always cloudy but we are getting clear breaks every now and then thanks to the WIND. Regardless I still need to get adapters for my new FeatherTouch auto-focuser so I still have not taken a single shot. OK yes I admit I could go out right now and use my mask to manually focus but since my system is completely new I'm waiting till I can ring everything out all at once but alas once I get setup I'll be stuck smack dab in the middle of galaxy season with a EON130 NB setup. I just can't win with timing.

#6 petert913

petert913

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:26 PM

We've had 4 months of clouds and rain in Oregon.  Now that there are hints of clear skies ahead, our club's favorite Dark Park put out a notice

that the park is closed Mon-Fri for "tree thinning" until MAY !  Arrgh..  At least we have the weekends. 

#7 pacazo

pacazo

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:06 PM

Clouds and cold here. Taking every opportunity I get and actually checking off a good number of Messier objects in spite of it all.

#8 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:16 PM

Well tonight I am probably just wasting time taking data. My guess is that when I try and process what I am getting tonight, I will just end up junking it. But at least it feels like I am taking data!! so there is always that to keep you going. Self delusion is a wonderful thing!

The forecast has a few hours of clear skies later this week. I can at least hope.

I also spent some time - and money - on Amazon ordering some connectors, shrink wrap and a soldering station to use when I redo all my cabling for the umpteenth time. I have a new rigrunner/powerpole power system that I am going to put together as well as a new focus controller for both my APO and SCT coming. That will keep me busy during galaxy season since that is not that exciting to me. I love nebulas more. I also am trying to figure out a better place to move my rig in my back yard so that I get more time on Orion before hitting the tree of doom. I will need to figure out how to polar align without being able to see polaris. Should not be that hard to do with a semi permanent setup like I have. It would be a much bigger pain if I was setting up each night.

Edited by cfosterstars, 06 March 2018 - 10:23 PM.

#9 Jackament

Jackament

Lift Off

• Loc: Hunt, Texas

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:01 PM

I'm just west of you in Hunt, near Kerrville. I feel your pain! I really thought we'd get some clear skies from the front that just passed. NOPE! Kinda clear in the morn, then this high overcast that seems unbreakable. Ugh. 

• cfosterstars likes this

#10 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:14 PM

I'm just west of you in Hunt, near Kerrville. I feel your pain! I really thought we'd get some clear skies from the front that just passed. NOPE! Kinda clear in the morn, then this high overcast that seems unbreakable. Ugh. 

Yea, just clouds... I would not mind as much if there was rain since we need that. But clouds with nothing to show for it is just frustrating. I took about 30 frames of blue filter to "finish" one of the panels of my B33/Flame mosaic, but I bet it will be sucky data and I will have to replace it. Tomorrow night is supposed to have 4-5 hours of clear skies. We shall see. NOT holding my breath.

#11 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

Yep, I get it.  After getting maybe 2.5 images all last winter, I got motivated to move my scope to New Mexico.  Now I definitely get more imaging done; though, it's not as much as I expected.  Wind, seeing issues, and storms still hit New Mexico.  At least it's much better than in central Oregon.  Summer will be a different story when the monsoons hit.   Anyway, I'm glad that I did it.  Not only do I get more imaging done, but now I get some sleep!

John

#12 GA-HAMAL

GA-HAMAL

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:13 AM

In my native language (exactly like a man and a woman), weather and astronomy have the ****/gender of a noun.
Weather - female gender
Astrophotography - female gender
for a change

Telescope - masculine gender

Therefore, I often depict the weather current situation with that kind of graphics happy.png

xstreghe.png.pagespeed.ic.4NLlvBG_ut.png

Astronomy and the Weather are cooking admirers of astrophotography on a small flame. biggrin.png

Edited by GA-HAMAL, 07 March 2018 - 04:23 AM.

• MZsarko likes this

#13 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:19 AM

I've not had any good weather for weeks. The only time the sky was clear was at the time of full moon- which feels like a kick in the nuts.

We must have upset the weather gods- I think its time for another sacrifice!

• GA-HAMAL likes this

#14 BobT

BobT

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Driftwood, TX

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:12 AM

My last decent imaging session here in Driftwood, TX (SW of Austin) was in late November.  There have been occasional nights when seeing was reasonable but not much in the way of sequential nights for completing a filter series.  I used the down time to complete my observatory automation but I sure will be glad to see a change in the weather (if it ever occurs).  My target list is getting longer and longer, there may not be enough dark time left this year to complete it tongue2.gif .

I sure hope it clears up in time for the Texas Star Party in May.

#15 karambit27

karambit27

Viking 1

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

Nothing unusual here. The weather is always terrible. I've gone 4 months easily without a clear night and longer without a clear moonless night. The Great Lakes are nothing but cloud factories. It is awful and the main reason i try to focus on circumpolar targets that are up all year. I wouldn't ever finish a target otherwise.

Edited by karambit27, 07 March 2018 - 09:17 AM.

#16 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

Global warning?- anybody!

#17 leeasle

leeasle

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas, U.S.

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

Feel your pain! frown.gif

From Clouds R Us eastern Texas.

#18 WesC

WesC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

Only a month? You’re cute... I haven’t been able to image since LAST SEPTEMBER. And I’m in “sunny” SoCal... home of endless fires, skies full of contrails from thousands of aircraft, full spectrum LED streetlights and more pollution haze and high, thin clouds than I’ve seen in the last 10 years.

Meh.

#19 david-p

david-p

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

We have also had four months of overcast skies here.  As I suggested in another thread, it may be due to global warming. If so, expect more of it.

Sorry to be so cheerful! :)

David

#20 BenKolt

BenKolt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

I follow the weather forecast religiously by checking half a dozen different websites a couple of times a day (and maybe more).  Since I don't have a permanent set up, I usually set certain weather forecast requirements that must be met before I commit to:

• pulling all the gear out
  • carrying it outside
  • surveying the optimum backyard location to minimize interference from trees, house, neighbor's unnecessarily bright outdoor lights
  • setting it all up
  • configuring my acquisitions
  • keeping the dogs and children away
  • polar alignment
  • focusing
  • collimation check
  • autoguiding configuration
  • and a final sacrifice to appease the cloud gods

When I get into long stretches of bad weather like now I find that my criteria become less and less stringent.  Last night looked like it would be clear for about half the night, but the moon was still a bright, waning gibbous.  In summer months I wouldn't even have bothered to start, but yesterday evening I went through the whole process with trepid anticipation.  My last one night stand in February ended badly with clouds rolling in just as I got down to imaging.  Luckily this time the forecast held, and I got lots of new, albeit mediocre images to play with, but I realize that it could be months again before another hole opens up in the sky.

This is the life we have chosen for ourselves.

Ben

• GA-HAMAL likes this

#21 GA-HAMAL

GA-HAMAL

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

In my areas worsening conditions lasts already for three years, periods of the cloudy sky lasting even 6 months non-stop are.

Not necessarily global warming, can simply global climate change.

sad.png

#22 Russj

Russj

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

The weather gods have been smiling upon us in south eastern Oz, we've had several months of great viewing weather, remarkably even on the evening of the lunar eclipse  perhaps relocating to oz is an option  ;-)

#23 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:06 PM

Well it is clear for the moment and I am trying to get the remaining B and G data from my B33/Flame mosaic. The data I took last night was very marginal so I may have to retake it. Also the forecast for next week is not so sucky. However, I have fallen for that several times and then forecast changes back to sucky. 

#24 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:58 PM

well.. I am desperate as well.. Tonight is supposedly "clear" night

and   last night: http://104.236.118.1...ky-20180306.mp4

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 8.55.15 PM.png

#25 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:46 PM

Well I got 13 three minute frames before the high thin, but completely destructive clouds rolled in. I guess this is progress. It feels like I am asymptotically approaching the completion of my mosaic...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics