•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SICK OF CLOUDY NIGHT - THE WEATHER THAT IS...

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#26 WesC

WesC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:28 AM

It’s starting to look like we’re all in the same boat. Anis, your skies look like my “clear” nights too. 

• anismo likes this

#27 MZsarko

MZsarko

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jamul, CA

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

To my fellow astronomers, 

It's my fault. I'm so sorry. I recently upgraded both mount and camera. If I would have just upgraded the mount we probably would have just lost a weekend. But a mount AND a camera.... I haven't seen any stars in weeks.

Sorry 

• cfosterstars and ghostboo like this

#28 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Soyuz

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

Yep.  I live south of Houston and it's been cloudy for a month straight.

#29 RDBeck

RDBeck

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Katy, TX USA

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

Yep.  I live south of Houston and it's been cloudy for a month straight.

Same here in Katy and a friend at Lake Livingston...  I bought a camera and he bought a Tak...  I guess we have a share of the blame...

• ghostboo likes this

#30 McConkey

McConkey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

The only clear nights i get is when the temp drops down to below -30 and i can't run any electrical equipment! Of course, once it warms up to the -10/-20 range it clouds right over!! Last time i imaged was back in November i think?????? I'm glad i'm not the only one who is going through a bad spell of weather!!

To quench my thirst i got into microscopy! Instead of looking up into the sky i'm now looking down into the microverse! It's another option to image the incredible things we cannot see and isn't weather dependent!

• GA-HAMAL and NorthField like this

#31 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:11 PM

To my fellow astronomers, 

It's my fault. I'm so sorry. I recently upgraded both mount and camera. If I would have just upgraded the mount we probably would have just lost a weekend. But a mount AND a camera.... I haven't seen any stars in weeks.

Sorry 

Well curse you!!! You must now cut down the tallest tree in the forest with....A HERRING! NEEE.....

Well tonight I got other 15 frames of green filter! At this rate, I will need six more "clear" nights to complete the last 10% of my mosaic!!

I did find an alternate location for my rig in my backyard that lets me see down to a DEC of -32 degrees. I have never been able to image anything in Scorpio or Sagittarius due to my neighbor's trees.  This summer I can finally image the eagle, lagoon and trifid nebulas! Assuming several sacrifices to the weather gods...

#32 MZsarko

MZsarko

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jamul, CA

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

The only clear nights i get is when the temp drops down to below -30 and i can't run any electrical equipment! Of course, once it warms up to the -10/-20 range it clouds right over!! Last time i imaged was back in November i think?????? I'm glad i'm not the only one who is going through a bad spell of weather!!

To quench my thirst i got into microscopy! Instead of looking up into the sky i'm now looking down into the microverse! It's another option to image the incredible things we cannot see and isn't weather dependent!

One of the guys at OPT was telling me about that. Then he told me about some of the prices for that stuff. One expensive rabbit hole at a time.tongue2.gif

#33 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• Loc: Stafford, VA

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Clear night tonight!  Im going for it!

#34 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

Well another cloudy night so guess what I get to do!!!!

My 2017 taxes... bawling.gif

#35 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:07 PM

Time to look into Radio Astronomy....

Works during the day...

AND   at night if its cloudy !!

#36 Ruthlessaz

Ruthlessaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:56 AM

I live in North Phoenix and I think I take clear skies for granted...they are here often so when it's cloudy like right now, I get super frustrated..I feel for you guys :)

#37 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SICK OF CLOUDY NIGHT - THE WEATHER THAT IS...

Ì haven't made a single image from beginning imaging season (august 2017), also my observing moments/ evenings with my binoculars are record low.

Garrett van der Veen, The Netherlands

#38 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

Well just to add insult to injury, It may be clear a bit tonight, but the temperature in not 93 degrees! - 31.5C and my camera cant cool below -7C. So from the 60s to the 90s in one day... I must have done something evil in a past life...

#39 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:20 PM

I've had one clear night since Oct 5th. I expect the weather to improve around August 28th for 5 weeks, then its back to clouds.

I bought a solar telescope to try and grab something on the few sunny days we have. The sun is blank!

Indiana: The cloud state.

Edited by APshooter, 11 March 2018 - 05:22 PM.

#40 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:55 PM

FINALLY a forecast of a few clear nights with reasonable moon phase!!. I am trying to complete my B33/Flame mosaic tonight. If I am lucky, I can get the 2nd panel on my cone nebula done. Of course now that I have said it, the weather gods will be angry...

#41 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

Get this:  we just had a front pass through last week, and it blew out all the clouds.  I took my laptop and scope out for only the second night this year and setup, hoping to work on Focusmax.  Well, the connection inside the observatory room kept saying 'lost connection' to my outside laptop.  Turns out I have a bad motherboard in the Toshiba; the laptop was toast!  I waited out 3 days of really clear weather before I could go to microcenter on my weekend and purchase a new one.  The clouds are back, but I have a better laptop and have reinstalled the software.  Now to wait out the clouds to test my system again.

#42 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Apollo

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

Get this:  we just had a front pass through last week, and it blew out all the clouds.  I took my laptop and scope out for only the second night this year and setup, hoping to work on Focusmax.  Well, the connection inside the observatory room kept saying 'lost connection' to my outside laptop.  Turns out I have a bad motherboard in the Toshiba; the laptop was toast!  I waited out 3 days of really clear weather before I could go to microcenter on my weekend and purchase a new one.  The clouds are back, but I have a better laptop and have reinstalled the software.  Now to wait out the clouds to test my system again.

I feel your frustration. Most of my equipment failures happen on the first available clear night. But- thinking about this it is logical as we mostly try & use our equipment on clear nights. The weather in my part of the World continues to be horrible. I don't think I've seen a star for over a month!

#43 Xilman

Xilman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:24 AM

Completely clear here last night and brilliantly transparent, though Sirius was twinkling a bit.  So I went out and took a few darks while setting up everything else.  Before I'd even finished it was 7/8 cloud cover.  Coverage was total before the kit was fully returned to storage.

If I was into Schadenfreude I'd say it was nice to see that others around the world also suffer from typical British weather conditions.  At least I'm in good company.

#44 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• **---
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

Save a few cold, and moonlit nights, we have been socked in here for 5 1/2 months in the North-West. So as a passtime, I grab astrophotos from all over the place and bring them into SGP to Plate Solve, or I go into Pix Insight and run a Plate Solve and annotation script. SGP's Framing and Mosiac Wizard is fun to play with as well. Or, I go back to my library of previous images and see what I can do in CS6, or PI to improve on them. Or, I go window shopping and sometimes hit the BUY NOW button and build up my collection of astro tools for the next on-coming 6 month stretch of clear skies.....wishfull thinking...eh?!

#45 akulapanam

akulapanam

Vanguard

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

Yep in the same situation. Tons of thin high altitude clouds. Software doesn’t seem good a predicting them either.

#46 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:52 PM

Well, I have had three clear nights! I was able to complete my data for my B33/Flame nebula mosaic and I am now trying to complete my Monkey Head Nebula. I have tonight and a bit tomorrow night. After that the forecast is clouds and rain for at least two weeks. I have a big rewire, two new focus motors, a new focuser and I just ordered my 2nd ASI1600MM-pro for my SCT. So its back to tweaking the rig. I am also going to reposition the rig so that I can see the southern sky. This will mean I wont be able to see the NSP and will have to figure out how to polar align without polaris. I also need to redo my PEC and DEC backlash. So much to do, so little time, but no clear skies so why not...

#47 Xilman

Xilman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:52 AM

And it shall rain for ever and ever

And it shall rain for ever and ever.

For ever, and ever,

Aluminium! Aluminium!

Still not been able to finish tweaking my newly re-installed mount.

Edited by Xilman, 24 March 2018 - 05:52 AM.

#48 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:11 PM

Had one clear day and night, verified I could control the mount and image with the new laptop. Imaged the sun the next morning, everything went well. It's snowing hard right now; one of the workers here just brought in a twenty inch snowball he rolled out back of the plant.

Edited by APshooter, 24 March 2018 - 10:47 PM.

#49 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:38 PM

Totally overcast tonight again. I spent the day doing a complete rewire of my rig. I finally switched to a dedicated 12V power supply and a rigrunner and powerpole setup. I was up to 8 brick supplies for all the equipment and it was getting completely out of hand. I had to have this huge bundle of power wire running up the RA and then DEC axis along with the USB cables. I took all day, but now I only have a dirty 12V line for motors and dew heaters, a clean 12V line for camera and usb hubs with two rigrunners mounted between my side-by-side OTA and a single USB 3.0 cable to my DEC USB hub running between my RA and DEC. So much less cabling. I love the powerpoles and rigrunners. Now without any stars I am taking flats just to test that I didnt fry anything and everything is talking. So far, so good. 

I have two more major hardware projects to do as long as it does not rain. I have a new feathertouch focuser and a focuslynx moter for my Meade 10"ACF SCT to upgrade from the stock focuser and a JMI Motofocus. I am hopeful it will be more amenable to SGP autofocus with less backlash. I also just got my 2nd ASI1600MM and this time its the PRO version. I kept my ZWO EFW and ZWO 36mm filter set so I now will have two complete Mono cameras with LRGB and NB filter along with my modified Canon 6D. Finally able to retire my old unmodifed Canon T5i.

Edited by cfosterstars, 24 March 2018 - 09:42 PM.

#50 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Apollo

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:48 PM

Yesterday I saw a star for 10 minutes at the near zenith (Mirfak). I used this celestial treat to focus my telescope- then it clouded over and was gone..........but I did focus the scope....I mean WE CANT HAVE EVERYTHINGmad.gif

• NorthField likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics