•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SICK OF CLOUDY NIGHT - THE WEATHER THAT IS...

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#51 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

Well the weather sucks again in Texas. Rain and more rain. The only clear nights in the forecast are at the full moon. However, with all the down time on the camera. I completed a bunch of projects including my full 12V powerpole and rigrunner rewire. I also added new focus motors to my APO (Sento-Senso) and my SCT (new feathertouch focuser and Optec focuslynx motor). I also got a new ASI1600MM-PRO for my APO so I can move my ASI1600MM-C to my SCT and finally retire my Canon T5i. Of course all the new gear will curse me with at least a month of bad weather. 

#52 WesC

WesC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:45 PM

Had a couple of clear nights so far this week... 15-20mph sustained winds is why... then there's that waxing moon passing through the zenith. Meh.

#53 WesC

WesC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

Hmmm, CSC says the winds have died down seeing is "supposed" to be good, but I can still see trees moving outside...

But with a 94% Moon directly overhead the sky will be glowing like daytime.

Edited by WesC, 28 March 2018 - 06:48 PM.

#54 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:09 PM

Moon? .. at this point I wouldnt even mind that.. We are socked with rain and clouds here. I even got a ASI174 for some solar.. and of course.. no solar imaging due to weather. I did have clear night last week.. with like 20mph wind making it worthless. 

• NorthField likes this

#55 NorthField

NorthField

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

I “liked” ^ that only because it describes my environment perfectly.. and I’m bored.. and depressed a little.. and I’m bored...

#56 rkayakr

rkayakr

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:47 AM

Can't win - after many disappointing nights in NE Ohio we rented a house in New Mexico with a RoR observatory for Spring break. Not only has it been cloudy every night, we've had freezing rain and snow to dampen our daytime hikes. Due to the moon phase had hoped to image Jupiter on the C11, but came away empty handed.

#57 Xilman

Xilman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

I'm in La Palma right now, world-renowned for being a superb site for astronomy.

The sky is thick with Saharan dust.  Even the professionals at an altitude of 2500m well above the inversion layer and the normal clouds can't see through it.  Last night I could see the moon and a couple of stars.  Limiting NE magnitude is about 1.0

#58 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:01 AM

Last night I managed to focus my guide camera on the back of the ONAG and run a calibration for Focus Lock. Then it went back to "normal"- solid cloud and rain. I don't know what is going on but its definitely getting worse every season. I now see very little clear quality sky. confused1.gif

#59 MZsarko

MZsarko

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jamul, CA

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

I saw them, they were out last night! These weird twinkling lights in the sky. I think they're called "stars".smile.gif  

I had to work today so I could only stay out till 11 or so. Time enough for an Engineering Night!

I managed to get my LX850 polar aligned and get my guide cameras focused really precisely. I checked out my new 12" Newt, nice flat field with no comma, so my ES CC is doing it's job. Checked out the new Apogee camera and Houston we have a problem... Streaks on the right side of the camera. It's going back Thursday and I'm just going to get a new SBIG STF-8300M.

This is my third Apogee and while I do appreciate the mad cooling (-50C verified), there's just too many other issues. 

Edited by MZsarko, 10 April 2018 - 02:30 PM.

#60 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

Reviving the thread - 17 days of rain and clouds, Nothing I can think to buy, All data processed.... I really made the AP Gods angry... and I did not even buy a new mount or camera. I guess its the 4 unfinished data sets that I have...

#61 jdupton

jdupton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

Chris,

I agree. I haven't done much astronomy outside since the beginning of August. First, I was skunked by the excessive heat making it difficult to reach even my modest 0° C set-point for the camera without running the TEC at more than 80% power. (That's my personal criteria limit as more than that and the actual temperature stability of the camera is not as well controlled.) Now, with the nearly month-long string of rainy days and cloudy skies, I am also getting bored to some extent.

I have been keeping busy by working on other activities for the most part. I am about to start work on a new 12 volt DC field power solution for my AP rig. Parts are arriving and I hope to have it done in a couple of weeks.

John

#62 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:12 PM

Chris,

I agree. I haven't done much astronomy outside since the beginning of August. First, I was skunked by the excessive heat making it difficult to reach even my modest 0° C set-point for the camera without running the TEC at more than 80% power. (That's my personal criteria limit as more than that and the actual temperature stability of the camera is not as well controlled.) Now, with the nearly month-long string of rainy days and cloudy skies, I am also getting bored to some extent.

I have been keeping busy by working on other activities for the most part. I am about to start work on a new 12 volt DC field power solution for my AP rig. Parts are arriving and I hope to have it done in a couple of weeks.

John

John,

I recently completed a nice field battery. Its a 73Ahr system that I build with rigrunner and powerpole interfaces. Its got lots of capacity and I calculated that I could probably run for at least 15 hrs on a charge. My issue is that the HDX-110EQ-G is not exactly portable :). I have been angling with my wife to get a more portable mount for taking into the field for a darker site. I have been much more aggressive with TEC coolers. I have routinely run them at >90% power. I basically did not really think it was such a big deal with modern TEC units. I really have not seen much to complain about in my images - at least that I can see. 

Its supposed to be clear starting Sunday night and through Wednesday night this next week. I am hoping to finish up my Tulip nebula NB, add the 2nd panel to my NGC7000 mosaic (my first panel is great with my new ASI071MC-pro), and try and get more time on my Sagittarius mosaic. I need 12 more hours to finish it and now I only will be getting ~2.5 hours per night due to my neighbors trees. I am tempted to order a chainsaw on Amazon...

Chris

#63 BKMaynard

BKMaynard

Ranger 4

• Loc: Dupo, Il. (st.louis area)

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

My skies cleared up when I sent my mount in for repair. Its been clear every night,

#64 NorthField

NorthField

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:55 PM

I shouldn’t type this, but, umm, I’m on day 5 of continuous clear nights.. and appears to be about that many more to follow...

Don’t hate the player

#65 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

No but you should always kill the messenger :)

I now reduced to reprocessing old data sets with better technique... Not a waste, but not that satisfying...

• billc2016 and NorthField like this

#66 david-p

david-p

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

We havent had many clear nights here all this year; the rare ones were isolated and always on a night when I had another commitment or was away from home!

I am afraid that global warming must be responsible. On the other hand, maybe it will brighten up soon! :) :)

David

#67 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:23 PM

Well tonight I did a massive display of huberus to the weather gods and will probably be smited for pride. I uncovered my scope and did a re-balance. I cleared the dust from my optics. I installed a new OAG. If that doesn't bring on an instant thunderstorm, I dont know what will...

• jdupton likes this

#68 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:33 PM

I have a new camera on order. I'm hoping to get something before the fall storms come back. I can usually image right up to Oct 5th before the clouds return. My imaging season runs from Sept 15th to Oct 5th. I was able to get out 2 days a few nights ago and take 1 night quickie targets. I still haven't processed them. Last time I checked, my last good DSO imaging night/week was in the 17th of July, 2017. That's 399 days without an image...

#69 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:05 PM

Another 2-3 weeks of rain or clouds in the forecast. MAYBE there is be one night next week - on the full moon - that might be clear... Just as well. My mini-PC fan died and I cant find a replacement. My last two sessions of "clearer" weather were blown by the computer shutting down for overheating. I had to buy a spare and now I am re-loading all my software on a new computer. That will be "fun", but at least I am doing it with the sky cloudy and lots of rain. I would be worse if the weather was good and I could not image.

#70 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:40 PM

Well, I have everything "working" with the new miniPC accept all my focus controllers. I upgraded to ASCOM platform 6.4 from 6.3. I knew I should have stayed where I was. Now the ASCOM drivers are not working for my focus motors... Well lots more bad weather to get it fixed.

Honestly, hooking up a new computer when its raining SHOULD make the weather improve ... RIGHT??

#71 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:25 AM

I'm not sure of my facts but It always seems to be a lot clearer when the moon is full or nearly full. I don't know if there is a correlation but would interesting to look at some historical stats.

Over the last 2 days the skies have been cloud free but at imaging time a little after 2 hours beyond sunset the sky has clouded up. This is annoying to say the least as your telescope acclimatises then ends up having to be put back under cover. 

#72 Rick J

Rick J

Cosmos

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:42 PM

I've had 3 weeks of nearly solid clouds with a couple of sucker holes at the start of the month.  Forecast for the next 10 days is rain, snow and no sign of stars or sun.

Northern Minnesota weather in the fall is never great but never saw it this bad.  But then my internet barely works and I have had techs here daily trying to solve it so can't post if I could image.  It won't stay connected long enough to upload an image.

Rick

#73 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 September 2018 - 02:08 PM

The sky is clear for the moment. I've just started imaging- should get an hour before the clouds arrive!bow.gif

#74 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

Will be doing the same here if the forecast is correct. I may get a few hours over the next 2-3 nights. I really need to do some troubleshooting, but cant even do that without stars..

#75 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:25 AM

Try this for a kick in the nuts.....

For the last 2 days the weather in the day has been beautiful......not a cloud in the sky.

Come imaging time the cloud moves in and stays most of the night.

Last night the Sky was crystal clear at 20.30 PM so I started to image. A 15 minute sub was started with the QHY168C-30 seconds before the sub completed an aircraft passed through the frame. I get 2 "beautiful" horizontal coloured lines and a magnificent galaxy in the middle of the frame with great detail. The clouds then moved in 10 minutes later & stayed all night.

I really do think its time to burn one of my telescopes on the alter for the weather gods........just need to borrow some pagan clothes and a box of matchesmad.gif

Edited by pyrasanth, 28 September 2018 - 03:27 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics