•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SICK OF CLOUDY NIGHT - THE WEATHER THAT IS...

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#76 dkpath96

dkpath96

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

I got a new scope for Christmas.  May have used it for three imaging sessions so far this year?  I knew of the curse, but really, this is ridiculous.

• EricGregory likes this

#77 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

I am seriously considering buying a set of sacrificial eyepieces so that I can smash them as sacrifices to the weather gods. 

#78 Xilman

Xilman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:25 PM

Try this for a kick in the nuts.....

For the last 2 days the weather in the day has been beautiful......not a cloud in the sky.

Come imaging time the cloud moves in and stays most of the night.

Last night the Sky was crystal clear at 20.30 PM so I started to image. A 15 minute sub was started with the QHY168C-30 seconds before the sub completed an aircraft passed through the frame. I get 2 "beautiful" horizontal coloured lines and a magnificent galaxy in the middle of the frame with great detail. The clouds then moved in 10 minutes later & stayed all night.

I really do think its time to burn one of my telescopes on the alter for the weather gods........just need to borrow some pagan clothes and a box of matchesmad.gif

Did the plane cut across the galaxy?  If not, just crop appropriately and/or paste in a strip from another image.

#79 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:32 PM

Consider driving out. I'm monitoring entire California (and parts of Nevada) for the weather patterns and don't mind driving up to 8 hours away from home every New Moon to catch just a single decent night. Having the CDS charts available 2 days ahead for the Americas, it's a sin not to leverage that knowledge having blanket fog season here.

#80 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:37 PM

Consider driving out. I'm monitoring entire California (and parts of Nevada) for the weather patterns and don't mind driving up to 8 hours away from home every New Moon to catch just a single decent night. Having the CDS charts available 2 days ahead for the Americas, it's a sin not to leverage that knowledge having blanket fog season here.

I have an Autistic son. Leaving home is just not an option for some of us. Its my backyard or not at all.

• Xilman likes this

#81 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:50 PM

Take him with you!

#82 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

Take him with you!

That wont work either. Every case of Autism is different. My son is not capable of such a trip.

#83 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

My wife has been helping with Autist kids (from 11 to 37 y/o) for several years in the past within the California IHSS program (essentially as an advanced babysitter). Some of them were really tough cases. Maybe a similar program in TX exists and might help you as well?

• cfosterstars likes this

#84 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:06 PM

My wife has been helping with Autist kids (from 11 to 37 y/o) for several years in the past within the California IHSS program (essentially as an advanced babysitter). Some of them were really tough cases. Maybe a similar program in TX exists and might help you as well?

Thanks. Yes we have that and are part of that in TX. Its an ongoing issue and not just Autism but may other health issues. Day by Day...

Chris

• halx likes this

#85 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:20 PM

Another terrible week of weather. The forecast is not only bad but very inaccurate. One evening where the forecast had about 3 hours of "clear" sky, I was doing some tuning. I went inside for a few minutes and a passing thunderstorm started to drench my rig. I fortunately did not lose anything, but i was scrambling to get the cover on. Then back to rain again. the forecast - for what its worth - says I should be three nights of clear skies this week... Well what other choice do I have except to hope that it is right.

#86 NorthField

NorthField

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:38 PM

I’m on day 1 of week 2 of clouds... ( I’m back in the cool kid group 😊 )

#87 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:41 PM

For the first time ever, the entire week is predicted to have clear nights.

Pulled out my mount, took apart and rebuilt the RA motor assembly (it's been giving me problems.  FIXED.)  Setup my mount as the sun sets.  Clouds roll in.

The latest report says at least 2 days of overcast skies.

I thought you had to BUY new gear for this curse!  I didn't realize that simply working on it counted.  I'd have waited for a rainy day to do this work.

#88 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:25 PM

Our skies weren't that bad lately, though scattering clouds, morning/evening fog, and smoke from the Cal fires (not to mention the light pollution with the San Francisco in my South-West windows) were enough reasons (along with the New Moon long weekend) for me to hit the road for 5 hours (1 of that is by an unpaved 4WD only narrow road, most of the time on the edge of the cliff) and land in the medium-grey LPZ with the Ocean covered in pink fog way below the venerable 1 km high meadow in the middle of the Big Sur natural preserve. 8+ hours of non-stop observing well spent! I can survive another month without any sky at all for sure now :)

#89 EricGregory

EricGregory

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

If it’s any consolation, the skies here in PA have been nothing short of abysmal for the past few months. It’s driving me nuts. 

#90 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

We are now into our third week of rain in central TX. Extensive flooding. The Llano river washed out a bridge. Our near by reservoir is at 145% full and rising with all flood gate open. Needless to say - no way to do any imaging. I am fully out of data to analyze now also. No clear skies predicted for the rest of the month.

#91 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

Well, I have not taken any data since January. I have about 60% of a mosaic 2nd panel of two completed of M42 and the running man and each night I am getting less and less time on target. I still need about 7 nights of data with only about 3 hours on target before it hits my trees. This is exactly what happened last year. I would love to be able to complete this project this year. The forecast is terrible so its time to rant and vent...

#92 Francopoli

Francopoli

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio Valley, USA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:53 PM

I want to like the topic, but I HATE this topic! LOL.  Yea we have had a run of about 18-20 months of just terrible weather.

#93 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:02 PM

I've had two clear days so far this year which is more than I had last year. I took a Gamble and bought a 8 in rasa and a zwo 1600MM and a Baader narrowband filter set. I'm hoping on the next clear night then I'll be able to image something at f2. Imaging an F6 means I can either get a mediocre black and white image or a single channel of H Alpha.

#94 WesC

WesC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:15 PM

I haven't imaged since September 21, 2018. I can see that I'm not alone.... Weather and light pollution have been getting progressively worse for the last couple of years. Its really depressing. frown.gif bawling.gif

#95 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:16 PM

And it just keeps coming !!!  )^8

Make it stop-AC.jpg

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• Earthbound1 likes this

#96 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:01 AM

I haven't imaged since September 21, 2018. I can see that I'm not alone.... Weather and light pollution have been getting progressively worse for the last couple of years. Its really depressing. frown.gif bawling.gif

I had a spate of 5 days in Oct to image, which historically is our 'long, clear window' for the year.  My computer picked up a weird virus and all of my data on NGC 7331 was null!  All zeros.  I reformatted the HD, reloaded all the software, but by then I only had 2 clear nights left to image.  That was around Oct 15th of last year.  Since then I've imaged the Supermoon during a 90 minute hole in the clouds, and one night on M106 for 5 hrs.  But that's it.  My filter drawer came in today for the Rasa.  The other parts will be arriving here in the upcoming weeks.  Really hoping to get some F@ narrowband images in May when we get a window for about 3-5 days.

Edited by APshooter, 19 February 2019 - 05:28 PM.

#97 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:17 PM

And it just keeps coming !!!  )^8

attachicon.gif Make it stop-AC.jpg

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

That explains Austin weather!!

• CCD-Freak likes this

#98 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:22 PM

I don't know what to say really.

Someone pointed me that although i have so many nights clear than others in the West such as in Europe or North America but they do have much more images than me, it is very clear, i have clean nights but i don't go out to imaging, and it means i am wasting money and also wasting time passing when it is clear and i don't use that, so it is like having a really bad weather for long isn't the worse then.

#99 star toucher

star toucher

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Eolia, Missouri

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:44 PM

Here in Missouri the 'Missouri Nebula' has been prevalent all winter.

It has been clear only when sub-zero and during full moon periods.

My scope is gathering dust in my garage.

I am convinced moon rays dissipate clouds. The brighter the moon - the clearer the skies.

• Earthbound1 likes this

#100 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

Well after 6 weeks of clouds and rain, the forecast shows some possible clear nights next week. I am NOT holding my breath. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics