•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binotron 27 SS vs used Denk II?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Ca.

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:43 AM

Hi everyone,

After many, many years of lurking/studying/mind numbing thought, I've decided to sell my Astrophoto gear and take the long awaited plunge into Binos.  I have tried them before years ago and was pretty impressed!  After reading all the thoughts on getting the best I can afford, I was thinking on getting either the Binotron 27's or the Denk II's.

I have a used offer for a nice set of Denk II's with Powerswitch for around $500.  I would of course have to add eyepieces, let alone it doesn't come with OCS.

Does the Binotron 27 Super System come with any eyepieces?  It seems by the time I get the used system with the OCS and eyepieces the cost is the same.

I'll be using a C-14, C6 SCT, a C8, and a 102mm F/9 Flourite.

Love to hear thoughts!

Joe

#2 Rustler46

Rustler46

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:26 AM

Hi everyone,

After many, many years of lurking/studying/mind numbing thought, I've decided to sell my Astrophoto gear and take the long awaited plunge into Binos.  I have tried them before years ago and was pretty impressed!  After reading all the thoughts on getting the best I can afford, I was thinking on getting either the Binotron 27's or the Denk II's.

I have a used offer for a nice set of Denk II's with Powerswitch for around $500.  I would of course have to add eyepieces, let alone it doesn't come with OCS.

Does the Binotron 27 Super System come with any eyepieces?  It seems by the time I get the used system with the OCS and eyepieces the cost is the same.

Love to hear thoughts!

Joe

Hi Joe,

Here's a flash from the past. I remember looking at many deep-sky objects in 1977 through your C-14 on Fickle Hill above Arcata, CA. Is that "new" C-14 the same one you had in '77?

My biggest scope now is a C-11 on a G-11, Gemini-1. I wouldn't have the strength to heft a C-14 up onto the mount. Even the C-11 is a bit much at my age. Most often used is the C-8 on the G-11.

It's interesting that recently I too have been going back to visual astronomy. While more can be photographed than seen through a telescope of any particular size, the complexity of astrophotography has gotten to me. Now I'm working on a binocular-chair for my 15X80 binoculars that I've had since around 1971. But who knows, maybe I'll get a binoviewer for the SCTs. 

I hope your efforts at bino-viewing are successful. 

Edited by Rustler46, 08 March 2018 - 03:29 AM.

#3 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:42 AM

HOLY COW!!!

Yes, that's the SAME C-14!  I remember those days so very well...  pitch black skies,  steady images...  good friends...

PM coming to you!

Thanks for popping by and making my year!

Astrophotography is a black hole of money, gear, and time...  I've beat myself down for too long.   After many, many years of being a purely visual observer, I was drawn to astrophotography because of living in a red zone.  Now I need to get back to my roots and make the best of it.  The Moon, doubles, and planets (which I love).  I am hoping that bino viewing will be helping me in that respect.

Joe

#4 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

Joe, I'm glad you're considering a bino-viewer.  It will suit and compliment your selection of scopes very nicely.

A good used Denk II with OCS, dual arm power switch, and Newtonian extension tube system will run around $650 used and they seem to be readily available, especially if you float a "wanted" ad.  I have a couple of them and they are all excellent optically and ergonomically.  I see little, if any, optical differences between my Denk II's and my Bino-Tron.  The Tron is lighter than the Denk II, has a nice rubber coating, and an easy user collimation adjustment feature.  The Tron's optical light path is, however ~ 1/2 inch longer than that of the Denk II.   The same Tron/power switch/OCS system will run a good $150 more on the used market and they are less available.   I find there is no "bad" choice here, both will bring a lot of pleasure to your viewing.

As you have some SCT's, I strongly recommend getting a Baader T2 prism diagonal, or the more expensive (!) Baader BBHS mirror diagonals, a SCT to T2 adapter and the Baader quick change adapter.  This will require you to also get a T2 dovetail adapter from say Precise Parts for the Denk system but this will give you the shortest possible light path with the system as measured from the SCT visual back, especially with the T2 prism.  This is important to keep you from clipping the aperture of the SCT when using the focal reduction side of the power switch plus it brings you closer to the optimum back focus position of the SCT.   You may also stand a good chance of reaching focus with the view sans OCS and power switch with the F9 APO but you would need a 2" nosepiece for the Baader diagonal.  I find this to be a great low power configuration for my refractors, giving the max FOV available in the 1.25" eyepiece format.  Your first view of the double cluster will remove all doubt.

However, you can still use the OCS system with all your scopes with your regular 2" diagonal as well.  This is great if you're going to be doing mostly high power viewing during your session.  So you have lots of options.

But I'd recommend first hunting down a good used Denk II system (dual arm power switch, OCS and Newtonian extension tube), try it out and go from there.  If you don't like it, I've found you can usually sell it for what you paid.

Jeff

#5 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

So does the Binotron 27 SS come with eyepieces? 

Thanks for the info!!

Joe

#6 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Viking 1

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

The Binotron 27 does not come with eyepieces.

Denkmeier does sell their 1.25" 65° eyepieces in 21mm and 14mm focal lengths separately.

You need to decide which eyepiece pairs (1.25") will work best for you.

Best to buy on the used market - buying 2 eyepieces at a time starts adding $$ fast.

The power switch accessory will provide 3 separate magnifications per eyepiece set.

As a side note:

Previously owned the Denk II and Binotron 27 and Baader MkV

After trying a supercharged Zeiss binoviewer, sold them all except one Denk II (dedicated for Solar).

The Supercharged Zeiss (28mm - 30mm clear aperture) are definitely superior!

However, best bang for the $$ is the used Denk II with powerswitch.

#7 Rustler46

Rustler46

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:03 AM

HOLY COW!!!

Yes, that's the SAME C-14!  I remember those days so very well...  pitch black skies,  steady images...  good friends...

PM coming to you!

Thanks for popping by and making my year!

Astrophotography is a black hole of money, gear, and time...  I've beat myself down for too long.   After many, many years of being a purely visual observer, I was drawn to astrophotography because of living in a red zone.  Now I need to get back to my roots and make the best of it.  The Moon, doubles, and planets (which I love).  I am hoping that bino viewing will be helping me in that respect.

Joe

Yeah, Joe - we all must make the best of our circumstances. There is a lot that can be done visually despite the light pollution. For the vast majority of industrialized society, light pollution is a fact of life. We just need to do the best we can with local sources of light (porch lights, etc.) and find an area sheltered from direct impact of these sources. I too really enjoy double stars and lunar/planetary observing. Even viewing open and globular clusters can be enjoyable. And until LED lights become more prevalent LP filters can help a lot. Getting out with one of my telescopes helps me get back to my roots and see my place in the universe.

#8 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

Joe, I can offer something of a dissenting opinion... albeit slightly off topic.

I own a Denk II and Baader Mk V.

I think the Denk II, Binotron and Baader Mk V have very similar optical quality. The Mk V mounts eyepieces far more securely than the Denk II. This is particularly true if your eyepieces have undercuts. Some eyepieces - particularly large ones - are simply unusable in the Denk II's. I can't speak to the Binotron collets - I haven't used these.

The Baader is usually supplied with a T2 Maxbright diagonal which is entirely adequate for your scopes. On the other hand, the Baader will not accept a Power Switch which means you either resort to Barlows or you need a lot of eyepieces. I find this less hassle than I expected - the Power Switch causes the same shifts in focus.

Once you factor in the cost of a high end diagonal and T2 adapter for the Denkmeier, I think you'll find the cost is very similar.

#9 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

Hi everyone,

Love to hear thoughts!

Joe

Eyepieces never come automaticaly with binoviewers, but Russ does give discouts for LOA 21 3D when ordered. He may also give discounts for Multipurpose A45mm OCS when ordered with binoviewers.
Check with Russ if he still sells other OCS seperately. Ask first about the seperate OCS option, before discussing binotron.
I would recommend not discussing used Denk II, because he considers that a lost sale (vs. a used product he designed and happily supports even with non-original owners).

#10 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

For SCTs Denkmeier used to have star sweeper OCS, although I have never seen a reponse from a cloudy nights member that had one; just that SCT owners want to go native/normal w/o OCS.
I have never owened an SCT or used my system in a SCT, but know my binoviewer system works in most Newtonains and Refractors,

Edited by faackanders2, 30 March 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#11 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

You won't need an OCS for the SCT, but probably will for the fract. A good used Denk II with PS is a great way to go. Also get the T2 prism, you don't want to go 2" on the SCT, loose aperture.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics