•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Just ordered pair of 17.5mm Morpheus eps...

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

Hi Point Scientific finally got in backordered shipment....will have in a week.

More to follow.....laugh.gif

• Mad Matt, oldmanrick, duck2k and 1 other like this

#2 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

...must ... resist ...no need for more eyepieces ... no more for the binoviewer ... but the views are SO nice!!!!

OK I am going to follow your lead and order a pair ... :lol: (for real)

#3 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:11 PM

The nice thing with eyepieces is that there is a ready market for high quality slightly used....I just sold off my 18.2mm DeLites and LOA 3D Denks, so I'm "reinvesting" in something new.

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

Bill, I'm interested in these also and may end up with a pair before the sale ends.....

I want/request a direct comparo with the 19P's as the Morph offer more magnification as well as FOV!

#5 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

Bill, I'm interested in these also and may end up with a pair before the sale ends.....

I want/request a direct comparo with the 19P's as the Morph offer more magnification as well as FOV!

Mike.....will do with the 19mm Pans.

Don't use the 19 Pans much anymore as I think they have been eclipsed by others.....my Pans are around 12 years old and I think coatings and optical design have made progress since. 

Bill

#6 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:41 PM

Hi Point Scientific finally got in backordered shipment....will have in a week.

More to follow.....laugh.gif

High Point must be selling a slew of these while on sale.  My 17.5's are on the way too, plus a pair of 6.5's.  (Funded by a pair of Baader 8-24's + barlows).

#7 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

Always find buying a new toy helps me with the winter after holiday SAD; February is always brutal.

The sun angle is definitely getting higher and Scorpius is rising in the predawn.

The summer Milky Way  will soon be here.

thewave.gif

• Mad Matt, Stellarfire and oldmanrick like this

#8 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:23 PM

Here they are where they belong... arrived today after a prior cancellation of my initial order I re-order after I sold some eyepieces...

Tonight its cloudy, I can only compare the 17.5 with my 22mm (65 degree) LVW on terrestrial objects, but the reveal is surprising,... 

In home the 17.5 has a much better anti reflection coating then the LVW, internal blackening is a step better and really very good, but the anti reflection coating of the 17.5 is certainly not of the level of my 12mm Delos despite having "Phantom Group Coating", its really very dark inside the Delos...(and its full of stars...)

I did only a sharpness check on a streetlight illuminated side of a brick wall 100 yards away and here is my first surprise; the LVW is sharper toward the edge.

In the centre both are tack-sharp, moving the side of the wall to the edge of the field softness appears faster in the Morpheus then in the LVW...both units both barrels...

And then there surprise number two; If I move a detail of the wall to the 2 o'clock edge position of the field the view is much sharper then in the opposite - 8 o'clock position- of the field, all eyepieces, both barrels... and here also the LVW beats the Morpheus in edge sharpness, on the 8 o' clock position, the 17.5 is really soft, where the LVW is soft.

Eyerelief is plenty with my glasses I must use the extension ring as shown is the photo.

Garrett van der Veen, The Netherlands

Attached Thumbnails

• APM-+-17.5-Morpheus.jpg

Edited by garret, 10 March 2018 - 06:37 AM.

• Mark9473 and denis0007dl like this

#9 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:46 PM

Well, I bought and sent back the 14mm Morpheus.....If these don't work out for me, back they go.

I will be directly comparing to the APM 18mm UFFs.

Only out return shipping.

Edited by Mr. Bill, 09 March 2018 - 03:48 PM.

• duck2k likes this

#10 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

Another thought....I bought these on the strength of BillP's positive review of use in BVs.

https://www.cloudyni...ht-binoviewing/

Edited by Mr. Bill, 09 March 2018 - 04:03 PM.

#11 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

Another thought....I bought these on the strength of BillP's positive review of use in BVs.

Sounds like the f5.5 objectives are unfortunately paying their tribute 😳

Edited by Mad Matt, 09 March 2018 - 04:06 PM.

#12 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

Matt

You may have a good point there......time will tell.

Didn't I say in another thread that I wasn't going to be a Beta tester anymore....lol.gif

I'm willing to cut a little slack in trading more apparent fov for some softness at the very edge of the field.

Contrast is at the top of the list for edge detection of faint extended bright/dark nebulae.

• Mad Matt likes this

#13 Rexadria

Rexadria

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zagreb, Croatia

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:12 AM

It will be interesting to hear your impressions, Mr.Bill.

I was waiting patiently for you to finally test these babies wink.gif

Hope they fulfill your/our expectations...

Btw; APM is announcing the appearance of their new 18.75mm 90° EP in/around April. https://www.cloudyni...epieces-coming/

It will be interesting to compare this two, side by side.

Edited by Rexadria, 10 March 2018 - 03:37 AM.

#14 Rexadria

Rexadria

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zagreb, Croatia

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:27 AM

Here they are where they belong... arrived today after a prior cancellation of my initial order I re-order after I sold some eyepieces...

Tonight its cloudy, I can only compare the 17.5 with my 22mm (65 degree) LVW on terrestrial objects, but the reveal is surprising,... 

In home the 17.5 has a much better anti reflection coating then the LVW, internal blackening is a step better and really very good, but the anti reflection coating of the 17.5 is certainly not of the level of my 12mm Delos despite having "Phantom Group Coating", its really very dark inside the Delos...(and its full of stars...)

I did only a sharpness check on a streetlight illuminated side of a brick wall 100 yards away and here is my first surprise; the LVW is sharper toward the edge.

In the centre both are tack-sharp, moving the side of the wall to the edge of the field softness appears faster in the Morpheus then in the LVW...both units both barrels...

And then there surprise number two; If I move a detail of the wall to the 2 o'clock edge position of the field the view is much sharper then in the opposite - 8 o'clock position- of the field, all eyepieces, both barrels... and here also the LVW beats the Morpheus in edge sharpness, on the 8 o' clock position, the 17.5 is really soft, where the LVW is soft.

Eyerelief is plenty with my glasses I must use the extension ring as shown is the photo.

Garrett van der Veen, The Netherlands

I like your report, Garret.

So, what is your final verdict?

Is that edge softness bothersome...or you can "live with it"/are willing to "cut a little slack" in that regard, as Mr.bill so eloquently put it?

Btw; can you post some pictures of that wight-balancing system incorporated with the fluid head, that you have made yourself?

I have seen one photo that you have posted way back...and have a pretty good idea how to replicate it but will appreciate if you can attach some photos of the system without your binocular.

It is a quite clever solution.

In that way, one can loosen the drag & counterbalance of the head, gain more fluidity of the motion and keep the perfect balance of the system.

Am I correct?

Regards

Rex

Edited by Rexadria, 10 March 2018 - 03:59 AM.

#15 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:47 AM

FWIW, I have the experience where my Pentax XW20's are sharp to the edge in my 12" f/5 dob in a binoviewer (with no OCS!), but are not so sharp in my APM f/5.5 100mm APO binos.

Why? I don't know, but I have verified this several times. It is not my imagination.  tongue2.gif

---

Michael Mc

#16 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:16 AM

The field curvature from a parabola mirror is in a constant relation to the focal length. With refractors this is unfortunately not the case. An f5.5 refactor can have the same field curvature of an f3 or f10 Newton depending on where the focus of the design was put. Since the ED doublets we are talking about here where specifically designed for binocular use, not photography as most refractors are, field curvature was most likely sacrificed in the design to accommodate better correction of other aberrations such as on axis CA which, with this design, is very well corrected, especially considering the focal ratio.

As always, the design of refracting optics is a compromise.

Edited by Mad Matt, 10 March 2018 - 05:18 AM.

• Mr. Bill likes this

#17 DRodrigues

DRodrigues

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

FWIW, I have the experience where my Pentax XW20's are sharp to the edge in my 12" f/5 dob in a binoviewer (with no OCS!), but are not so sharp in my APM f/5.5 100mm APO binos.

Why? I don't know, but I have verified this several times. It is not my imagination.  tongue2.gif

---

Michael Mc

On my day-light binovcombo http://www.pt-ducks....#CR-binoviewing the XW20 result also on flat-field - the Pano 24 no... As these Morpheus have almost similar TFOV, I'm interested on knowing the experience of those like you, that have combos resulting flat field of view with the XW20 and these Morph 17,5 also worked well...

Edited by DRodrigues, 11 March 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#18 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:03 PM

Supposed to arrive Thurs....looks like storm door is open so it'll be awhile before astronomy use.

tongue2.gif

#19 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

Supposed to arrive Thurs....looks like storm door is open so it'll be awhile before astronomy use.

tongue2.gif

If it clouds up down here on Thurs, I will be very upset.lol.gif

#20 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

Well, we do need the water/snow.

cool.gif

• Faber and duck2k like this

#21 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:51 PM

Well, we do need the water/snow.

cool.gif

We have plenty of snow here, especially up high.  Some occasional rain through the summer would help us more.  Our snow right here at home is getting thin, but another system is supposed to show up Wed. night and Thurs., just in time for my new eyepieces to get here.  NOAA says it may not amount to much, so here's hoping. 

I also have a pair of the Morpheus 17.5's + 6.5's, arriving Thursday from High Point.  Must be traveling parallel to yours! choo-choo.gif

#22 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

Just got mine....reach focus with plenty of backfocus to spare in my APM 100mm APOs....first blush eye placement comfortable using installed eyecups (that's HUGE for me when viewing for hours)

Fit and finish first rate and coatings appear well applied and minimal reflections using led flashlight to examine.

Daytime terrestrial view looks promising...afov huge compared to the APM 18mm UFF....real fov 2.42 vs 2.12 degrees.

No noticeable eye blackout noted during daytime.

Pincushioning present but well controlled.....less than 24 Pans.

Will evaluate using town lights 6 miles below me to the north this evening; that will reveal a lot about FC and astigmatism.

Astronomy definitely will have to wait with local weather conditions.

Edited by Mr. Bill, 14 March 2018 - 06:15 PM.

• Stellarfire and duck2k like this

#23 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:07 PM

Sounds great, Mr Bill!

Just what I was hoping for to fill that gap in my eyepiece pairs.   According to tracking mine should arrive tomorrow.

I'm in the same boat as you, concerning weather.  Maybe I'll draw your clouds up this way since mine arrive later.

#24 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:07 AM

Nighttime test viewing town lights, business signs, etc showed a crisp, flat field in all quadrants to the fieldstop, using APM 100mm APOs.

Contrast appears very good with objects in shadows clearly seen and lighting appears sharp....can clearly read neon signs that were a challenge with other eyepieces.

Apparent fov suits my eye perfectly; can see fieldstop on outer edges of vision looking straight on axis but is immersive....

Lateral color very slight using my metal roof test....no noticeable color on axis.

Will have to wait for good night skies to further evaluate, but I'm extremely pleased with what I see so far.

These are light years better than the 14 Morphs that I returned; Baader got these right, IMO.

These will probably stay in the 100 APOs most of the time; seems like they are a perfect match for the binocular at the magnification I use most frequently for Milky Way sweeping.

Edited by Mr. Bill, 15 March 2018 - 10:19 AM.

• Mad Matt, Mark9473, Stellarfire and 3 others like this

#25 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics