•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Coronado Solarmax II60 at 8,000 feet high

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alfredo Agustoni

Alfredo Agustoni

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Argentina

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

Hello folks, I'm still investigating possibilities for buying a solar telescope; I received some good advice and ideas in other post, I am also evaluating the Coronado Solarmax II 60 DS, which is within my budget, and I would like to know the opinion of some users of this model with respect to the operation of the etalons to more than 8,000 - feet (2,500- meters) above sea level, because I will use it frequently in these conditions.
About 3 years ago I had a Lunt LS60 pressure tuner, which worked without any problem.
I already appreciate all the information you can give me.
Regards!

#2 Davesterx

Davesterx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

I use my single stack Coronado Solarmax II 60MM at 6,000 - 8,500 feet here in Colorado with no issues to report. I use it mostly single stack as when I added a second etalon for double-stack I've had a tough time getting them tuned together but from reading on here that doesn't appear to be related to my altitude. The single stack works just fine for most of what I want to do.

Dave

• Alfredo Agustoni likes this

#3 Alfredo Agustoni

Alfredo Agustoni

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:42 PM

I use my single stack Coronado Solarmax II 60MM at 6,000 - 8,500 feet here in Colorado with no issues to report. I use it mostly single stack as when I added a second etalon for double-stack I've had a tough time getting them tuned together but from reading on here that doesn't appear to be related to my altitude. The single stack works just fine for most of what I want to do.

Dave

Hi Dave, could not you solve the problem of the lack of synchronization? it's a complicated thing, it's a frequent problem, or it's just a matter of spending a little time

Alfredo

#4 Davesterx

Davesterx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

Visually, what I see when I double stack and try to tune it for views of the filaments is that I get arcs of darker areas on the disk and arcs of lighter areas. It's not too bad for visual but I mostly am using my solar telescope for imaging and it is much more pronounced with my current camera (ZWO ASI120MM). I just haven't been able to get an adjustment tuned in where I have an evenly lit view of the entire disk. When I'm observing a nice prominence or filament, I have to keep it in the center of the view or it can appear to disappear as it moves out of the "sweet spot". This is not as much of a problem with the single stack configuration.

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure it out but some of the talk on Cloudy Nights has suggested to me that maybe I just have a mismatched pair of etalons (I bought the outer etalon years after my scope purchase). It's certainly possible I just haven't spent enough time with trying to figure it out.

Dave

#5 Alfredo Agustoni

Alfredo Agustoni

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

Thanks Dave, surely it should not be a very frequent problem, I am evaluating all the opinions to take a correct step in my purchase; the Solarmax double stacking is worth almost 1000 USD less than the Lunt 60 DS.
Anyway, in a few days I have to decide.
I hope you can solve the problem with your Solarmax.
Regards!

Edited by Alfredo Agustoni, 09 March 2018 - 02:40 PM.

#6 vincentv

vincentv

Explorer 1

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

Fun fact about the pressure tuned lunt: if you tune it in a lower altitude it will remain on band as long as the temperature is close to the same, no matter the altitude. 

Anyway, remember the front etalon is tilt tuned in the case of the lunt. That means it has a reduced altitude range compared to the pressure tuned internal etalons. I know for a fact it works at 1400m (4500ft).

Lunt was very forthcoming telling me the limits for the internal etalon in an email. You should ask 'em as well as coronado. 

#7 Alfredo Agustoni

Alfredo Agustoni

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:35 PM

Yes, I think I'm going to consult with Lunt; with the LS60 Pressure tuner it was very easy from the first moment, that system inspires me confidence; I appreciate the answers, I hope in a few days to enjoy the fantastic view in H alpha; Impatience devours me!
Regards !

#8 Great Attractor

Great Attractor

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:52 AM

My 2 cents: Lunt 50 (pressure-tuned) worked fine at about 6000 ft (though I never tried removing the cylinder and re-pressurizing when at this elevation).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics