•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Stellina - Possibly more interesting than the eVscope?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OleCuss

OleCuss

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

OK, there have been quite a number of discussions about what I consider to be an admirable effort at NRTV by Unistellar in the form of the eVscope.

I actually find the Stellina (by Vaonis?) to be more interesting if I were to get one today (and I won't).

Here's a link:  https://vaonis.com/telescopes

This thing is apparently using an ED-Doublet with F/5 optics paired with with an IMX178 sensor?

1. More stylish IMHO than is the eVscope.  Might not be a style people like, but it's got style. . .
  2. I've no significant concerns about collimation/alignment since it is a refractor.
  3. Cleaning is not as likely to be an issue since it should be easy to access the objective and the sensor appears to be enclosed.
  4. Larger sensor for bigger likely FOV but it does not have even nearly as good SNR1 as does the one in the eVscope.
  5. Weight of both scopes is likely similar.
  6. The battery is external which means it should be fairly simple to have several around for when I can't do a recharge but want to view on multiple long nights.
  7. Both are backpack-ready.
  8. The Stellina is clearly designed to transmit images to your smartphone or tablet (maybe PC?).  This means you are not glued to an ersatz (although probably pretty good) eyepiece as with the Unistellar.  This would matter a lot to me if I were looking to buy one of the two units today.
  9. Both are still vaporware. . .
  10. Stellina costs quite a bit more.

If I had the budgeted money to spend on it and it were not vaporware I would be seriously considering buying the Stellina today.  I think it would work very nicely for public outreach.  I know that I'd be somewhat bothered by some chromatic aberration but not enough to make it unpleasant for its purpose.

Edited by OleCuss, 08 March 2018 - 10:39 PM.

• kianjin and Alien Observatory like this

#2 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

Well it seems to integrate a lot of capability, but it could have included a hydrogen alpha filter to really bust the light pollution. Good looking and well thought... derogatory and dew heater.... but as you point out it is vapour ware. This gives you inages on a tablet, rather than onto a digital eyepiece, somis more of an imaging platform than outreach device. Great to see more people putting together these kinds of systems... help people fight back against light pollution.

PEterW
  • kianjin and Alien Observatory like this

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Cosmos

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

Both like a beauty pageant show to be held 9-month from now.

What has been told/promised is that both beauties had selected X brand cosmetics, Y brand of clothes, and Z brand of shoes.

(And they will be 100x time beautier than the common souls.)

The show ticket is priced at 2,000 dollars and no refund possibility.

9 months from now, the ones who paid $2000 will be able to have the front-row seat to see the show.

While others will hear the user experiences one day after the show.

Sorry have to say that.  It's pure speculation at this time.

Hope the execution is on the mark, as opposed to mark I the alpha.

#4 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

OK, there have been quite a number of discussions about what I consider to be an admirable effort at NRTV by Unistellar in the form of the eVscope.

I actually find the Stellina (by Vaonis?) to be more interesting if I were to get one today (and I won't).

Here's a link:  https://vaonis.com/telescopes

This thing is apparently using an ED-Doublet with F/5 optics paired with with an IMX178 sensor?

1. More stylish IMHO than is the eVscope.  Might not be a style people like, but it's got style. . .
  2. I've no significant concerns about collimation/alignment since it is a refractor.
  3. Cleaning is not as likely to be an issue since it should be easy to access the objective and the sensor appears to be enclosed.
  4. Larger sensor for bigger likely FOV but it does not have even nearly as good SNR1 as does the one in the eVscope.
  5. Weight of both scopes is likely similar.
  6. The battery is external which means it should be fairly simple to have several around for when I can't do a recharge but want to view on multiple long nights.
  7. Both are backpack-ready.
  8. The Stellina is clearly designed to transmit images to your smartphone or tablet (maybe PC?).  This means you are not glued to an ersatz (although probably pretty good) eyepiece as with the Unistellar.  This would matter a lot to me if I were looking to buy one of the two units today.
  9. Both are still vaporware. . .
  10. Stellina costs quite a bit more.

If I had the budgeted money to spend on it and it were not vaporware I would be seriously considering buying the Stellina today.  I think it would work very nicely for public outreach.  I know that I'd be somewhat bothered by some chromatic aberration but not enough to make it unpleasant for its purpose.

The price is too steep for what you are getting in my opinion.   Out of curiosity, what benefit would you see for for something like this over say a lightswitch Meade with a ZWO camera?   Other than viewing on a tablet? A 6 inch LS6, A 6.3 focal reducer and a 4/3's sensor should exceed the FOV and resolution of the Stellina for about the same price range as well as light gathering capability.  I get just a bit of distortion and vignetting with my C8 and a 0.55x-ish FR, So I am guessing distortion with a 6.3 FR would be pretty minimal for a 294 or 1600 chip.  If you go with with the pro versions, you are right about at the Stellina price point. If you go with the uncooled versions, you are well below it.  Is the Stellina chip cooled at all? My general sense is that these kickstarter scopes have come WAY late to the party.   

Cheers!

JMD

JMD

• OleCuss likes this

#5 OleCuss

OleCuss

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

The price is too steep for what you are getting in my opinion.   Out of curiosity, what benefit would you see for for something like this over say a lightswitch Meade with a ZWO camera?   Other than viewing on a tablet? A 6 inch LS6, A 6.3 focal reducer and a 4/3's sensor should exceed the FOV and resolution of the Stellina for about the same price range as well as light gathering capability.  I get just a bit of distortion and vignetting with my C8 and a 0.55x-ish FR, So I am guessing distortion with a 6.3 FR would be pretty minimal for a 294 or 1600 chip.  If you go with with the pro versions, you are right about at the Stellina price point. If you go with the uncooled versions, you are well below it.  Is the Stellina chip cooled at all? My general sense is that these kickstarter scopes have come WAY late to the party.   

Cheers!

JMD

Oh, your points are all valid but I'd likely make a few more.

I like my LS-8 and when I've got a matched reducer I'll probably do some NRTV with that (might not even wait for the reducer).  But I've primarily cooled 4/3rds and APS-C cameras which will hit the mount if I get close to the zenith.  This means there is a problem with that system.

I've other gear in which I don't have the same clearance problems but they require much more set-up to get going.

But the primary thing is that I really wouldn't be using the Stellina for my personal observing (although my wife just might for hers).  For me the purpose would primarily be public outreach.

For most of the public outreach I do, it would be such a benefit to be able to bring out an arguably stylish instrument, set it on a tripod, turn it on, and in a few minutes I can have the thing showing stuff to people on a tablet - and quite possibly sending them copies of the images.  This would be an amazing way to get the younger generation jazzed about astronomy and some day fighting for dark skies.  It would also satisfy another purpose/interest of serving the disabled and little kids (for which I think the eVscope is generally useless).

For purely personal use even if I had the money sitting around begging to be spent and if it were not vaporware - I wouldn't buy the thing.  For public outreach purposes, if I had the funding for it right now I'd buy the thing.

In any case, I find it much more interesting for public outreach than I do the eVscope.

Technically speaking IMHO both the eVscope and the Stellina offer too little for the price for the personal use of both you and me.  But we aren't the target demographic - and given your technical sophistication you are even farther outside it than am I.

#6 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

From what little I can see, both feature wibbly wobbly tripods. Lots of flash, not much polish. I still don't get the SETI tie-in.

#7 OleCuss

OleCuss

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:44 PM

As best I can tell the SETI tie-in is just for the eVscope.  I think it is a system which will allow an external system to alert to events such as asteroids making close approaches and maybe other items of interest.  Early detection of supernovae might be the most interesting item.  Here is the best I've found about that:  https://www.seti.org...tionize-amateur  IMHO the concept actually has merit but I'm not at all sure the Unistellar cameras have enough light-gathering and/or sufficiently accurate timing to make them very useful for much in the way of scientific research, but there is some potential.  I suspect SETI views this as sort of branching out from looking for ET into other stuff - and they have servers to work with the collected data and they may be able to access new funds based on the idea that they are collecting new data with the potential to do many useful things.

If I were leading the SETI effort to work with the eVscope I'd probably be viewing it as a demonstration project to show that they can get lots of amateur participation and that they can collect and process the data in a manner which could prove useful.  They get to do this demonstration at relatively small cost because the initial number of instruments won't be enormous and the sensors are not too big so the amount of data is manageable.  They'll get to fine-tune the process and then consider trying to get more of us sending in data with bigger scopes and bigger sensors.

I'm more hopeful that ever about such projects considering what some of our current software can do.

The eVscope's tripod may or may not be sufficiently stable.  People apparently got good views of the Ring Nebula through the demonstration prototype which might suggest sufficient stability, but I don't think we know that they will use the same tripod (or one of equal quality) in their production camera.

The Stellina's tripod situation seems less clear to me.  It looks like it has a tiny tabletop tripod and the wibbletivity could be significant.  But I think there is provision for using a much bigger tripod and I don't know whether it will be solid.

Right now it's all still vaporware and we really don't know for sure that either will ever be delivered or exactly how well they will perform.  I will maintain hope that both will perform admirably and will be delivered sooner than expected, but I'd not count on it.

Edited by OleCuss, 16 March 2018 - 07:46 PM.

#8 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:56 PM

SETI tie in is all about sales/marketing.

Like the old 70mm refractors that advertised "500x magnification!"

#9 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:23 PM

Sorry to bump this topic. I looked at Stellina and the expected delivery date is April 2019.

The eVscope bas second quarter of 2019.

https://unistellaroptics.com/product/

https://unistellarop..._content=BuyNow

https://www.kickstar...n-a-classical-t

Edited by Ptarmigan, 05 November 2018 - 11:25 PM.

#10 OleCuss

OleCuss

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:48 AM

Thank you for the update.  Unfortunate that they appear to still be pretty much vaporware. . .

Although MOMA thinks they'll have the Stellina next month:  https://store.moma.o...977-138977.html  I'm guessing none of us will be holding our breath.

Interesting that Stellina is listed by MOMA as being a "best seller".  I don't know if that means that they have actually delivered a bunch of them?  It may just mean there are lots of orders even if they haven't delivered any.

But if folk are ordering enough to be a "best seller" it suggest the market is good even at $3,000 and I think we can bet on plenty of other similar products coming to market.  I'm frankly a bit surprised that Meade and/or Celestron haven't announced that they are pursuing this sector of the market.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics