•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars, Jupiter and Saturn UT 6 March

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lacaille

Lacaille

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canberra and Strasbourg

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:56 PM

Somewhat better seeing and a focus on collimation gave me somewhat better results yesterday, in the small hours at Canberra.

Here is Mars (S to top) at 1702 UTC 7 March (apologies,  I dated the pics wrongly - it was the 7th, not the 6th, but I cannot change the title) - clouds in the SW on Hellas, and I think in the N. Hemisphere over Utopia:

2018-03-07-1702_0-ML_2 v2.png

Jupiter (S to top) showing the storm in the S Hemisphere - white cloud band ahead and trubulence behind;

2018-03-07-1750_6-ML_2.png

Then the Red Spot - in less good seeing:

2018-03-07-1523_6-ML_3.jpg

And lastly, I can never resist finishing off with Saturn, even though it is still too low for high quality work perhaps:

2018-03-07-1816_0-ML-L_lapl6_ap22_Drizzle15 60 pc resize.png

Edited by Lacaille, 09 March 2018 - 06:54 AM.

• Sunspot, jim kuhns, yock1960 and 12 others like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:23 PM

Very nice Mark! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

There's a lot of fine detail in your Jovian images tbh - I suspect that like us (& countless other planetary imagers) we're all just waiting for the seeing to make that jump to "very good" to really ice Jove's face! ;) :lol:

• Lacaille likes this

#3 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:41 PM

Very good detail of the three planets. Looking forward when each one gets closer to
opposition this year.
  • Lacaille likes this

#4 Lacaille

Lacaille

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:41 PM

Thanks Daryl - I had been getting worried that, in graduating from an 8SE to a C11, I had suffered a loss of touch, but these were quite encouraging. Your words on CN about crap seeing had provided some comfort, but still....it is nice to see some detail again, instead of a succession of Jupiters that reminded me of the stripy mint humbugs of my youth!

BTW, I had the Moon very close to Jupiter for these, and had the sense that the colours got a bit washed out by it - is that possible?

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:52 PM

..possible I suppose but I really don't think it maks any real difference Mark - Pat raised some questions for the Joves we captured just before the Mars we posted, but we've successfully imaged Uranus & Neptune where you'd imagine the contrast variations would be much more vulnerable - again, I don't really know. confused1.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 08 March 2018 - 11:52 PM.

• Lacaille likes this

#6 troyt

troyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

Good images, well done. 

• Lacaille likes this

#7 Mauricev

Mauricev

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:05 AM

Nice images there Mark.

Good seeing makes a big difference.

Cheers

Maurice

• Lacaille likes this

#8 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Vanguard

• Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:24 AM

nice images i wish i had that kind of seeing

• Lacaille likes this

#9 Lacaille

Lacaille

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:15 PM

Thanks!  Mind you, this was the result of an all-nighter - quite short periods of decent seeing in amongst a lot of mediocre periods. I took a lot of footage to get this.  I was pretty much a waste of space during the following day!

#10 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Vanguard

• Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

Im starting to hate all nighters. wouldn't mind them so much if i was financially secured and didn't have to worry about money and i had full time health care for my mom. last all nighter i went to sleep before she woke up and she didn't take her meds not at least till i woke up later and gave her them. bad weather the next two days hopfully i'l get out tuesday morning but tomorrow there calling for thunderstormity weather. nice images btw.My geography is not all that great where exactly is Canberra Strasbourg ? your name sounds french. my mother is french im just a stupid american redneck lol

#11 Lacaille

Lacaille

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:43 PM

Hi Monsieur le Ferret!

Yes, the all-nighters are tough, but I am retired so I can have siestas etc to recover. I am not French but live part of the time in France - in Strasbourg, and part in Australia - in Canberra.  (I chose the name because the original Lacaille was a French astronomer who did a lot of great Southern Hemisphere work).

Hope you can get out later this week - you have been doing good work!

Mark

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics