•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Drive Correctors

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#76 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

Terra,

Does  it work? Have you plugged your C-8 into it ? The reason I ask is that the female plug on the unit is  a non polarized non ground type. The typical C-8 from the 70's used the gray Belden cord with  oval female plug  and had a male three prong, grounded  plug so it may not be able to be plugged  into the unit directly without  an adapter. 

The quote that a C-8 tracked at a fixed Sidereal rate is not correct. They are geared to drive at Solar rate. That is  one of the  reasons why one would want to use an inverter that you can vary the frequency and achieve sidereal rate or others like Lunar or King. 

What would be interesting  to me would be what the inside looks like. Many of these drive correctors are based on the Saxon circuit that published in the Jan 1974 Sky and Telescope.

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 05 January 2020 - 07:14 PM.

#77 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:23 PM

Hi Dave, I have not used it because I only use my C8 on my Deck and there is power right there. Also, my C8’s AC plug is a 3-prong and I would have to get an adapter which I haven’t done at this point because I haven’t needed to use it. But my friend who gave it to me said it worked fine.

#78 bjkaras

bjkaras

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:11 AM

This is what I use with my Parks 20” Superior. I took the capacitor from the original dec drive box and inserted it into the Vista controller. There is a broken wire on the dec motor, but once that is repaired the unit still works great.

Attached Thumbnails

• A0EBFC63-E972-4808-ADE7-EE68B78E259C.jpeg

#79 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:05 PM

I still have one of the those mdl 300 Digitrak II's also. Plus a pair of single axis ones. I got Bob to give me a set of his schematics after he retired so I could fix them. That was while I was working for Gary Hand. I tried to get Orion to give me copies of the Accutracks also but they declined even though they were no longer repairing them also. I am holding onto mine in case I ever get ambitious enough to tackle that early Cave observatory mount that came with the 12.5" convertible Cass/Newt. Been trying to find an original C8 fork + the DC DEC drive as a test bed but nothing in the right price range has popped up. I do have a spare hand control for one of the dual drive controllers like the D II but have not tested it.

Did finally pick up an early AC powered Celestron fork assembly. I also found an Astro-Physics C8 DEC motor kit. Since then I have acquired several more drive correctors including a mint Accutrack 4402 (AC RA/ DC DEC and uses the stereo DEC plug like all the SCT seems to use). Also a Digitrak 400 model and a single axis one that could be either a DIY or kit like I think Willman-Bell used to sell.

Schaefer also used AC on both axis of his mounts. 

• Mr Magoo likes this

#80 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:07 PM

This is what I use with my Parks 20” Superior. I took the capacitor from the original dec drive box and inserted it into the Vista controller. There is a broken wire on the dec motor, but once that is repaired the unit still works great.

That looks identical to the Accutrack 4000 programmable.

#81 bjkaras

bjkaras

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:04 PM

That looks identical to the Accutrack 4000 programmable.

I use an old Accutrack with my 6” refractor.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics