•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What's on the porch today?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#26 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:35 PM

It will all be back together once i find a perfect 5" EXT or C6 or 3.5" Questar OTA or whatever else.

what does this have to do with this thread?

• rolo and Kasmos like this

#27 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:36 PM

OK 3rd-ed. Sheesh rules again! Did I mention I hate games?

Yes, Bakelite. Must have been what Rolo smelled!

Cute little Fecker. 

nice scope.  Good findwaytogo.gif

#28 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

Here, and it includes the latest update of the registry:

https://www.cloudyni...ker-4-celestar/

Robert

#29 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Toto I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

Cute little Fecker. 

Well Feck You! :lol:

Seriously, great score Keith! Congratulations, those are too cool for school! :)

• TOM KIEHL and clearwaterdave like this

#30 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:58 AM

what does this have to do with this thread?

Plenty jenny.  I just bought a scope so it will be on the porch when UPS drops it off and i will take a pic of it on the front porch in the box rox. Plus that pic i took was on the back porch so i guess a back porch can count as does a front porch. Or is only a front porch that counts? What about a side porch?

Edited by CHASLX200, 11 March 2018 - 10:00 AM.

#31 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:49 AM

Plenty jenny.  I just bought a scope so it will be on the porch when UPS drops it off and i will take a pic of it on the front porch in the box rox. Plus that pic i took was on the back porch so i guess a back porch can count as does a front porch. Or is only a front porch that counts? What about a side porch?

you are making this much to complicated.   Can you share whatever meds you are on.  They sure sound like they are funlol.gif

• tim53, rolo, rcwolpert and 2 others like this

#32 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:26 PM

waytogo.gifWay to go Kieth , congrats ! ..... Glad Yogakitty packed so well and it arrived UN - Damaged

• Bomber Bob likes this

#33 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:27 PM

Hey Tom. I reached out for your opinion on how to land this sweet telescope and I disregarded your good advice! I was listening, but my conversations with the seller revealed a person who was taking packaging seriously. She had worked in the TV and Movie trade as a set decorator and had lots of experience "packing and transporting stuff". I coupled faith in her ability with my experience of never having an item damaged in handling, and went with it. I see there is another Celestar 4 up (again) on eBay. If someone here "wins" it and would like to know the dimensions of the cartons that my seller used P.M. me. 

Yes Terra, I'm a lucky Fecker...owner. It is out (back) on the porch cooling. Actually finally clear tonight. A bit anxious about first light. This telescope is so fun to look at that having it deliver a good image might elevate it to my favorite ever, and I'm a refractor kinda guy bow.gif . Identity crisis in the works?

The clock drive, drives. I tested it in the house for a bit while I was around just in case it burst into flames or something. I've never bothered with polar alignment and of course never had the experience of an object staying put in the field of view. When the nights get warmer I'll test the accuracy of the drive. 

I guess it's time to proof the pudding!

• clamchip, terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and 1 other like this

#34 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:54 PM

You Done with that Pudding Yet ? ......... I' m waiting , 1am. EST  lol.gif

#35 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:18 AM

Sorry to keep you up Tom! It is (I think) a bit out of collimation by the looks of the out of focus image. The focuser is very hard to rack in and out so at 1:00 A. my time I'll be looking into that problem back in the warm house.

Edited by strdst, 12 March 2018 - 12:22 AM.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#36 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:28 AM

Sorry to keep you up Tom! It is (I think) a bit out of collimation by the looks of the out of focus image. The focuser is very hard to rack in and out so at 1:00 A. my time I'll be looking into that problem back in the warm house.

You could of almost  counted on that .waytogo.gif

• rolo likes this

#37 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

Your new scope is a little different to collimate, here's the instruction manual:

https://wiki.telesco...tion_Manual.pdf

Robert 

Edited by actionhac, 12 March 2018 - 11:03 AM.

• rolo likes this

#38 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

Your new scope is a little different to collimate, here's the instruction manual:

https://wiki.telesco...tion_Manual.pdf

Robert 

They had a typewriter that could do proportional spacing smile.gif Those were not cheap! One often sees lecture notes in physics from that era printed with this typeface, probably by an IBM Composer. The company may have had an "in" with a university who had one of these devices!

http://munk.org/type...-by-professorc/

That's really a well-written document - it's interesting to compare to the Unitron docs which are very crude and probably typed by Mrs. Fine during odd hours!

edit: Looking around at Fecker's ads, they are very slick and have a professional look to them. I always forget that they were also doing business with college observatories, making big one-offs on demand, e.g. a 61-inch at Harvard (Wyeth Telescope).

-drl

Edited by deSitter, 12 March 2018 - 12:13 PM.

• rolo and clamchip like this

#39 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:02 AM

I got the focuser working today. I also removed the mirror cell. The mirror is very dirty. Some questions for some other Fecker Celestar owners... What the heck diameter is a Fecker ep? 1 1/4" plus a hair? 

The download of the operators manual says to clean, remove mirror and sluice distilled water across the glass. I'm wondering if I can sluice water while the mirror is still in the cell or if I need to remove it from the cell? Is that accomplished by removing the not push/pull collimation screws? Instead of sluicing can't I just take a shower while holding the mirror? lol.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• P1012292.jpg

• steve t and rcwolpert like this

#40 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

You might want to put a rope on it first.  Soap-on-a-rope in one hand, and mirror-on-rope in the other.  

#41 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

I got the focuser working today. I also removed the mirror cell. The mirror is very dirty. Some questions for some other Fecker Celestar owners... What the heck diameter is a Fecker ep? 1 1/4" plus a hair? 

The download of the operators manual says to clean, remove mirror and sluice distilled water across the glass. I'm wondering if I can sluice water while the mirror is still in the cell or if I need to remove it from the cell? Is that accomplished by removing the not push/pull collimation screws? Instead of sluicing can't I just take a shower while holding the mirror? lol.gif

The eyepiece on both of my Feckers are 1 1/4" The 4" mirror is sitting in contact with a back of the cell which is filled will lead as a counter weight. You need to insulate the mirror from that metal or it will never reach thermal equilbrium.  Also I would check the figure. Mine was sphere and I have couple of others Fecker Celestar mirrors and they are also spheres. At f/8 and if spherical they are just  above a 1/4 wave.  

The mirror comes out  of the cell very easily.  It looks like you removed the whole cell from the tube. All you need to do is remove the three "puller" collimation screws and the section of the cell that holds the mirror will come out. Then  there are a couple of screws on the side that hold the metal retainer ring in place. So once the screws are removed, you left the ring out and then the mirror comes out. There maybe writing on the back on when it was made.  As you know the collimation is done by three pairs of "push and pull" screws. When you take the screws out you'll find they are two different lengths. The longer ones are the "pullers" They go in the holes that are not threaded on the back of the cell and screw into the part of the cell that is attached to main tube. The shorter screws thread into the holes next to the "pullers" and "push against the back of the cell that is attached to the tube. I have seen a couple of Feckers were the "pushers and pullers" were not installed correctly and that made aligning of the optics difficult. 

The main tube of the  scope is too short and it will allow stray light in the focuser and hence into the field of view. If you don't have neighbors will light one or the Moon isn't up you'll be Ok. If not you might want  to do what I do and add a short plastic shield that will block the light coming into the focuser. 

I bought a  collection  of Fecker parts a couple of years ago so if you needs parts I might have it. Here is a link to the thread on the restoration of mine https://www.cloudyni...ecker-celestar/

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 13 March 2018 - 12:06 PM.

• strdst and steve t like this

#42 steve t

steve t

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:19 AM

Cute little Fecker. 

That's a nice little scope, congrats on the find.

Steve T  

#43 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:16 PM

You might want to put a rope on it first.  Soap-on-a-rope in one hand, and mirror-on-rope in the other.  

That's sounding more like bondage than personal hygienelol.gif

Edited by strdst, 13 March 2018 - 11:19 PM.

• DreamWeaver likes this

#44 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:25 PM

That's sounding more like bondage than personal hygienelol.gif

shocked.gif  devowhip.gif

#45 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:32 PM

Thank you David for your post. I have an inglorious past when it comes to optics and seeing that Robert already has a Fecker without chips, he most likely wouldn't appreciate another one with.  He has been a welcome recipient of some of my worst work! Anyway the point is there are so many ways to go wrong with well engineered instruments when you're, well, not an engineer! 

I marked the collimation screw holes so I wouldn't get it mixed up.

There was no way the cell was going to come apart by using my hands. After an hour or two I had a brilliant thought, let the collimation screws do the work, and I did and they did. That was easy but now there are 6 screws surrounding the cell holding the mirror locked in place. My eyesight, well I'm losing it daily so even with a bright light and a jewelers loupe I can't tell if the six recessed screws are flat or allen. I tried with a tiny flat screwdriver without success. Anyone remember what tool pulls these out?

Edited by strdst, 14 March 2018 - 01:23 AM.

#46 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

I'm pretty sure that the screws holding the retainer ring in place are standard slotted one. I have a couple of Fecker mirror cells at home so I'll check tonight. Once the screws are removed you can left the retaining ring straight up. 

You might consider using your phone as  a microscope. Many have a magnification feature in the camera function that will display a real time image that is magnified. I use mine in the lab all the time  using this feature. 

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 14 March 2018 - 08:51 AM.

#47 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

I have the same problem with eyesight.

Lots of light is a big help, and I also have reading glasses of varying power some pretty strong for

all different jobs.

My wife has the really nice stuff for her quilting, I was going to put it on and take some selfie's  but

I can't find them. Really nice magnifiers and head lights. I'll have another look around.

Robert 

#48 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:00 AM

I buy readers @ the dollar store by the truck load. For small stuff I put one pair over another to increase magnification. I wasn't getting anywhere with a few tiny slotted screwdrivers in the recessed cell. I assumed they were slotted as every other fastener on this telescope seems to be. I wanted to be sure before damaging the heads beyond all recognition

#49 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

I did find one, I don't know where she keeps all this stuff.

This one is made by TAMIYA and has clip-on interchangeable lens of different power.

These are far superior to reading glasses, I should buy one for myself.  

IMG_8445.jpg

• deSitter likes this

#50 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:51 PM

Nice glasses! 

I confirmed that the tiny screws in the recesses of the cell are slotted. I still don't get any purchase using the 2mm screwdriver. Could it be that the blade is too thick for the screw slots? If someone has this common screwdriver kit and has a little Fecker handy would you please see if this screwdriver fits and works? 

I also assume the screws are nice soft brass which makes me think buggering them up will be quite easy with the wrong tools.

Is there a good reason not to leave the mirror in the cell and soak it for cleaning as is? I'd prefer to do things right but life left is getting short!

Attached Thumbnails

• P1012341.jpg

Edited by strdst, 14 March 2018 - 12:56 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics