•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What's on the porch today?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

I removed the retainer ring and place a towel over the mirror and one hand on the towel,  then flipped the assembly upside down and lifted the cell away from the mirror.  I reinstalled the freshly coated mirror reversing the process and their wasn't a mark on it.

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 16 March 2018 - 04:54 PM.

• bremms and TOM KIEHL like this

#77 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:00 PM

I was able to remove the 3 retainer set screws today. 2 were easy, one was dicey. But now of course, (why is there always a but?) the retainer ring has no interest in moving. I would like to use heat, or oil, or both but for the mirror!

Would it be reasonable to think I could find screws (longer than the Allen set screws) with the same thread and turn them in to put pressure on the retainer ring enough to break it free from the cell? It is pretty stuck. 

Better ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• P1012358.jpg

#78 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

Thats a good idea, one at a time to break the bond. 

If yours is the same as mine the cell is cast iron and the ring is steel so rust could be

making it difficult to remove. Except your ring looks like a different color, mine is just

bright steel.

If you have something to make your fingertips really grippy like those gloves mechanic's

wear these days maybe it will help get it going.

Robert

#79 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

Well phooey!

The retainer ring continues to retain. I wanted to clean the mirror enough to see the condition of the coating. I didn't want to get a lot of water between the retainer and cell so I crudely made this plank to spray water up to rinse the mirror without (hopefully) adding to whatever corrosion is holding everything together. Maybe, I thought, it can stay in the cell for cleaning at least. If it needs a re-coat I'm up a creek. So a gallon of distilled water, a fifth of 91% isopropyl alcohol and 37 pounds of wet cotton balls later... it probably needs a re-coat but probably not on my watch. The mirror is way better clean, but the coatings could be much better. 

I still like this little fecker just the same 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1012360.jpg
  • P1012361.jpg
  • P1012362.jpg

#80 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:52 AM

The condition of what it's condition is in.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1012379.jpg

Edited by strdst, 30 March 2018 - 01:59 AM.

• clamchip and TOM KIEHL like this

#81 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:14 AM

The last time I posted I was frustrated because the mirror wouldn't get out of the cell. Never got it to move but I'm so happy. I have a ridiculous number of fine telescopes... Nippon Kogaku...many, Goto, many, Tak,1, HOC a few, R.A.lots, APL a few, Swift, a few, early Criterion 1, Zeiss 1, and this 4" Fecker. 

I'm a refractor kinda guy but maybe not so much anymore. This little Fecker is pretty much my favorite telescope now. At least while observing Jupiter/Saturn. I'll keep a few refractors for stars but I may have finally found what works for me. An 8mm Edmund ep is perfect. I didn't do the math but thats all the magnification I need to feel connected. No damp down after moving. Fecker ROCKS!

• clamchip, DreamWeaver, gelkin and 2 others like this

#82 Garyth64

Garyth64

Vanguard

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

Knock, knock, what's this on my porch?

On the porch.jpg

Cutting thru the cardboard, I see what might be old packaging material:

Old filler 1.jpg

Hmmm,  

• steve t, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#83 bremms

bremms

Aurora

• Loc: SC

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

My cell from #472 has 3 3/64" Allen set screws pushing on the retainer ring, not threading into the

retainer ring, just pushing on it so the ring is adjustable to give the mirror play, room, just like a refractor

lens has some room.

What looks like rust is actually paint to prevent the set screws from falling out, or rusting, or moving? but

mine move quite easily.

The retainer ring has 3 felt pads 120 apart where it contacts the mirror, and these are just barely touching

the mirror if at all.

I have an idea Keith, try to just loosen the 3 Allen set screws and see if it releases your retainer.

Why you have the 3 extra set screws, I'm not sure at this stage, but they may be for some other purpose

possibly centering the mirror in the cell?, they look farther down from the edge of the cell?

The Allen wrench for my set screws is 3/64" inch.

Robert 

attachicon.gif IMG_8450.jpg

Love the Jackson Pollock Fecker paint.

#84 Garyth64

Garyth64

Vanguard

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:59 PM

Digging deeper, I see this:

Old filler 2.jpg

-really nothing to really create a lot of hype about, but maybe this pic will help:

old tray.jpg

#85 Garyth64

Garyth64

Vanguard

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:06 PM

I'm not really going to make this into a drawn out guessing game,  here is the label:

7TE 5 label.jpg

But, there's no OTAfrown.gif , but I knew that.

I just got it for the mount, and the box. smile.gif

7TE mount assembly.jpg

It came with all the accessories:

7TE 5 parts.jpg

The mount needs to be cleaned and degreased.  It's useable now, but I'll make it shiny.  The box is in great condition.

This will be great on that new tripod I'm making.

Edited by Garyth64, 26 June 2018 - 07:07 PM.

• steve t, TOM KIEHL, Bomber Bob and 5 others like this

#86 Esso2112

Esso2112

Messenger

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:04 PM

I have that exact mount with my Royal Astro R70.  It seems to be a solid mount, except for the tripod. Good find and looks in nice shape.  

• Garyth64 likes this

#87 Garyth64

Garyth64

Vanguard

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:13 PM

It is a 7TE-5.  The mount is similar to my 7TE-2.  The 7TE-2 has a azimuth scale, the 7TE-5 does not.  Where the scale fits on the 7TE-2, the mount is tapered on the 7TE-5.  Other than that they are identical. 

The legs on the 7TE-5 have a round section of wood between the leg splits.  My 7TE-2 the center sections are square.

I have a couple of loose 60mm scopes that have good optics.  One of them will find a home on this mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics